Do some 22lr ammunition jam more than others?

Saab1911

The first two brands of 22lr ammunition which I shot through my Ruger Mk III
fed flawlessly. But, today I started shooting Winchester Xpert 22lr. The
winchesters jam at least every other round. Mostly, the spent casing fails
to eject. The rim seems narrower than usual on the Winchester Xpert 22lr
round.

Have you had a similar experience. Does you 22lr pistol have severe problems
reliably ejecting a certain brand of ammo?

Also, has anybody else had similar problems with Winchester Xpert 22lr ammo?

Cheers,

Jae

JWT

.22lr ammo is no different than any other calibers as far as functioning in semi auto handguns. Some guns just 'do not like' certain brands of ammo and are more prone to malfunctions (ftf, fte,etc). My Ruger Mark III has frequent 'jams' with Remington 'goldies' and functions flawlessly with everything else I've tried shooting in it.

boykinhntr

Some guns are just ammo sensitive. My S&W will eat anything, while my buddies Mosquito is VERY picky. It just depends on the gun. Find what works and stick with it.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Try cleaning the chamber area real well and try again. Some ammo may dirty it more and the next ammo may fit more snug in the gunk...
Brent

B-Maxx

The Win Expert 22 are ok through my 10/22, but my S&W 22A does not like them at all. Neither likes the Remington bulk ammo from Wal-mart. The Federal Bulk Ammo from WMT I have found to be the best for all my 22 firearms without spending all the extra money for match ammo.

DaveBeal

The only bulk ammo that works reliably in my Buckmark is CCI Blazer. Federal, Winchester and Remington all tend to jam.

Crosshair

The Win Expert 22 are ok through my 10/22, but my S&W 22A does not like them at all. Neither likes the Remington bulk ammo from Wal-mart. The Federal Bulk Ammo from WMT I have found to be the best for all my 22 firearms without spending all the extra money for match ammo.

The crazy thing is that with the same ammo, I have different experience. My 10/22s do very well with Remington and Win Expert. The Federal Bulk ammo jams every single round in every autoloader gun except my Ruger 22/45, which loves the stuff.

Each gun is an individual, especially 22 rimfires.

Hawg

All of my .22's love CCI Mini Mags. They like Federal and Winchester bulk and all of them hate Remington but the Thunderbolts are worst..

Tom2

Just like the doc said, if that hurts, stop doing it, so if it jams, stop shooting it. Hope you did not buy the ammo in bulk. Best to go to sporting goods store and find out what works with little boxes of ammo before buying big boxes of ammo. But don't toss it, it will probably function in another gun. If it did not work in something, they would not be able to sell it to anyone?

Average Joe

.22 ammo is very finicky, you have to try different brands to see what your gun likes best. This goes for rifles and pistols.

PointOneSeven

And thunderbolts turned into my round of choice for a while when golden bullets, american eagle, and blazer were all giving me trouble :D.

funon1

Ruger .22 rimfires tend to be very picky

As do some other brands. The Browning Buckmarks are much less so, but for your Ruger, you will need to find what it likes. Mine would only shoot CCI mini-mags and Stingers

Try CCI and see what happens. Let us know.

Funon1

woad_yurt

Nothing has ever jammed in my Wolverine except for three rounds in the first magazine I shot in it and, I think, one round in the next magazine. After those few jams, it's been perfect ever since, no matter what ammo I've used. I guess it needed a warm up because it had sat unused for 45 years before that. Man, I love that pistol.

Federal cheap-os do jam frequently in both of my Marlin 60s, however, enough to make it a real nuisance.

Stevie-Ray

Brown box Federal bulk jam frequently enough in my GSG-5 to be a nuisance. Underloaded for sure when this happens. Haven't tried them in my pistols yet. Win Xperts seem to work OK, but I've heard many problems associated with them. I had a lot of old ammo stashed, so I began buying .22 again this year and was introduced to failures. Never a failure til this year. Remington T-bolts that I've had for years are perfect. Newer ones are junk, or so I hear. Of the newer stuff, Remington GBs are treating me right so far.

44 AMP

Staff
Yes.

What brand of ammo jams depends on the gun it is used in. Some guns eat everything. Others are very picky. The overall price and quality of the guns and the ammo doesn't seem to matter. It is a totally individual thing. Some high dollar guns jam on some ammo, others don't. Some cheap guns jame on some ammo, others don't. Trial and error is the only way to know what your gun will or will not shoot well.

Good Luck.

If you happen to have bought a quantity of ammo that just won't run right in your gun, ask around. Chances are you can find somebody who has a gun that eats it like candy and will take it off your hands.

T. O'Heir

.22 pistols and semi-auto rifles are like that. You have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo either will both shoot well and cycle the action. The price of said ammo means nothing either. Nor does the make or model of firearm. Mind you, some pistols are more particular about the ammo they'll shoot and cycle with than others. Smith Model 41's, for example, are very particular and no two will work the same way with the same ammo.
"...happen to have bought a quantity of ammo that just won't..." That's what .22 bolt actions are for. The ammo won't necessarily drive tacks, but it'll usually go bang.

I bought a new Walther P22 and have shot about 1000 rounds thru it, the first 500 were bulk Federal, they did okay but quite a few jams, the next 500 were Federal high velocity and they were worse! I didn't expect that many problems with it. As recommended by friends I'm going to try CCI high velocity next and am hoping for much better results, otherwise I'm going to have to send this gun in to the factory. I love the gun otherwise, just need to find it's favorite food.

funon1

Everyone, try CCI Mini-mags first

They are the best and most reliable of the inexpensive, plated ammo. It is worth the extra buck or two to have reliable, accurate ammo, IMO.

Funon1