do I really need to spend $1,200.00 to get a 1000 rounds of match ammo???

kraigwy

You want match ammo, bite the bullet and buy some Winchester Brass, it makes excellent match ammo.

My best scores I've fired in 1000 yard matches was with my M1A, using Winchester Brass, 42 Gr 4895 and 175 SMKs. If shooting across the course then the same load with 168 SMKs or 168 A-Max.

I've found that Winchester brass is the most accurate in my 308s, '06s and 223 Match ammo.

Lapua brass is good, but not enough better then Winchester to justify the cost difference.

emcon5

Why do you want so much? My precision bolt guns I have maybe 200 cases tops, and I have never come close to needing more.

1000 rounds seems like a lot of ammo for a bolt gun.

I'm a horder ;)

really I'm going through my brass, & with the shortages that have been so crazy lately, I'm trying to get a lifetime of shootable brass for each gun... this has been a daunting tasks as is noted by the cost of 1000 cases...

how I determine what is a shootable supply of brass??? well, that depends on how hard the cartridge pressures or fire arms are on the brass, & how much I do, or plan to shoot each gun... stuff like Thompson Contenders 100 - 200 cases are enough, revolvers... most are 400 - 500 cases... semi auto handguns... if I only have one of that caliber, 750 or so seems like a good number, as I lose a lot more, & they can suffer damage from the action... I find I shoot my short action bolt rifles more than anything else... I have like 1500 each of 17 Fireball, 22 Hornet & 223 & 1000 of the longer short action cartridges ( like .243, .308, & 7 X 57 )

I also have to work within the constraints of space I have...

my goal is to eventually build up a supply of brass, primers, bullets, & powder, so that I can do my relaxing weekend shooting, without having to worry, or stress about future shortages

skizzums

I agree, 200 cases? Not even close. Especially in .308. You need a coupke thousand laying around. I like Price brass, their loaded ammo is only "okay", but their brass is soft and consistent.