do I really need to spend $1,200.00 to get a 1000 rounds of match ammo???

we're not even talking about Federal Gold Metal Match... which of course I can't find... I have a custom rifle built on a Ruger scout rifle... it wears a nice piece of glass in the "traditional" location... I have zero .308 ammo to start with, & would like to get 1000 cases as closely matching as possible... I'm thinking that buying a large lot of ammo & saving the cases might be as good as anything, since I'm not seeing any 1000 cases of matching lot number for sale anywhere... I'd be happy to buy cases if that's un true... but if I could find a few "crates" of match ammo... that seems a better place to start...

I'm considering buying PRVI match to get the brass, but they are sold out at a lot of places... some of the best I'm finding at "reasonable" price, is Hornady Match with the 168 grain A Max... but that's the $1,200.00 for 1000 rounds at the Midway "sale" price... is there a better place to buy bulk match ammo???

eastbank

i have a five gallon bucket full of N.M. 7.62x51 cases i dip into for my rem 700 7.62x51 that i bought for junk prices, very good brass. eastbank.

Road_Clam

Magnum Wheel Man said:
we're not even talking about Federal Gold Metal Match... which of course I can't find... I have a custom rifle built on a Ruger scout rifle... it wears a nice piece of glass in the "traditional" location... I have zero .308 ammo to start with, & would like to get 1000 cases as closely matching as possible... I'm thinking that buying a large lot of ammo & saving the cases might be as good as anything, since I'm not seeing any 1000 cases of matching lot number for sale anywhere... I'd be happy to buy cases if that's un true... but if I could find a few "crates" of match ammo... that seems a better place to start...

I'm considering buying PRVI match to get the brass, but they are sold out at a lot of places... some of the best I'm finding at "reasonable" price, is Hornady Match with the 168 grain A Max... but that's the $1,200.00 for 1000 rounds at the Midway "sale" price... is there a better place to buy bulk match ammo???

For $1200 you could be up and running very nicely with hand loading , and you will take your skills to the next level. Buying even the best "match" grade ammo is no guarantee your specific barrel will like it... Handloading and testing recipes WILL yield the best possibly combo for your specific barrel..

I realize that, & reload for around 75 different calibers...

maybe a better question, is...

where do I find 1000, new same lot 308 cases, or where can I buy bulk match ammo, for the best prices...

since I reload so many cartridges, it would be nice to have ammo to start with... just from getting me up & shooting quicker, then using that ammo as a base line to better with my handloads...

right now my 1st choices are the Hornady Palma Match, or the PRVI match ( PRVI match is much cheaper, but reading the customer reviews they are lacking... but there are also negative reviews on nearly all the match ammo listed... ( proving your point, that not all rifles like all ammo )

maybe I'm better off being more patient, & trying a box of several different ammos, & picking what shoots best, to use as a base line in my rifle... but since I'm planning on handloading, that doesn't really get me going on brass???

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

If you're having a custom rifle built why are you not reloading? Mind you, if you want match grade anything, you have to pay for it.
Hornady Match brass(that you really don't need for good ammo) is currently on ale at Midway for $35.49 per 50.
Hornady Match ammo starts at $25.99 per 20.
"...Prvi is $.80..." And you get what you pay for.

GUYS GUYS GUYS... I have the reloading set up... already have .308 dies even ( read, reload for close to 75 different calibers ) trouble is I have nothing in .308 for components besides a bunch of LC-79 ammo for my M1-A ( haven't even started loading for that yet ) loading so many different cartridges would leave me crowded to load the .308 ( I like to do the bulk of me reloading during the winter months )

... thanks for posting Hornady match brass on sale at Midway... that's likely the best info I've gotten so far... :)

hartcreek

Since you reload for so many calibers you should not even have to ask the question you should know that you do not need match brass but you will have to work up a load for thyat rifle and even if you bought that expensive stufff that does not mean that it would be the best load for your rifle.

603Country

I'm with hartcreek, in that I'm a little surprised that you even asked the question. I'd just buy 1100 cases of Lapua, use 100 for finding the magic load, and go from there. As for powder, I'd use what the top guys use. Same with primers.

If I was to start with loaded ammo, which would give you fire formed brass after the first use, I'd lean toward Norma if they offered the bullet weight I wanted. Looking at the math of it, just the Norma brass is probably about $1 each (though I haven't checked lately), so buying loaded ammo isn't really a bad option.

And there's a guy on the Texas Hunting Forum that'll load you match ammo. You might check over there with ChadTRG42. Nice guy and a real pro.

Thanks guys... yes perhaps that was a moment of weakness ( & or Stupidity )

I should just buy the PRVI brass like I planned & go from there...

as far as the Hornady brass... I'm still a little gun shy, after the couple boxes of 460 S&W brass sarted cracking at the mouth on the 1st loading, during light belling for cast bullets...on the 1st load...

I have some Norma brass in a few calibers & don't hold it as highly as some... ( yes, it's good brass ) but I've been really happy with the PRVI brass... loads are OK... not "match" quality, but I'd suspect the powder uniformity & bullets to be the culprit there???

Don't see it happening for you. (the buying of large (new) quantities) Sometimes it is handy having FFL and a MN Tax Stamp for just those purposes.

emcon5

Privi 175 gr match, 500 round cases, $400 ea , six in stock. Estimated shipping on 2 cases, $26.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-...8-match-175-grain-fmj-prvi-partizan-ammo-pp32

So you have 1000 rounds, reloadable cases, can't guarantee the same lot, but better odds than just buying a bunch of boxes.

Or get lucky and find some of the new Creedmoor sports ammo, made with Lapua brass and bullets. It is more expensive, ~$70/50 rounds, but there are no better cases than Lapua.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop...unition_-Lapua_Brass_Scenar_Bullet_50_ct.html

When you consider the brass would cost you $75/100 and the bullets are $55/100, you are looking at $65/50 to load them, not including powder and primers.