Do I really need a $60 folder?

swatman

Well, I carry a Buck Odyssy pocket folder. Sorry i don't see spending 200 dollars on a pocket folder myself and I am NOT flaming anyone who does but a good quality knife that is sturdy, sharp and keeps a good edge doesn't have to cost the same as a pistol.
It's not as if you are going to stick a BG and have him be like "oh that's a cheaper knife.."
People tend to want to substitute high price for pricelss knowledge of good tactics which are really much more important IMHO ;)
Again, I am not flaming anyone.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Hard Ball

I went through a similar decsion process last year and ended up buying an Emerson Commander folder. It cost me @ $160 but is a superb design and very well made. I figure if I ever have to defend myself with a folder I want it to be a damned good one.

Halffast

I just got my Crawford/Kasper. It is the large size with the combo edge. It is larger than I expected. I have been carrying a Spiderco Endura and the Craw/Kas is significantly larger and heavier. This is a very nice knife. The balance is great and the action is smooth. The lock up with the safty is very secure. The only thing that disappointed me a little was the "Taiwan" stamped on the blade. I may order the smaller version to carry when I am wearing dress slacks.

David

------------------
If your looking to government for the solution, you obviously don't understand the problem.

Bob Locke

I own a Cold Steel Voyager with a straight edge and Tanto point. Best folder I have ever owned. And you can get them for about $55-60.

In my book, I don't want to be guessing if it gets down to blade-work at close quarters. A friend of mine (former SpecWar guy) pointed out to me a week or so ago that if you're close enough to cut your opponent, then he's also close enough to cut you. I want a good knife with a great piece of steel for a blade that will hold a razor's edge to make the cutting as effective as possible with as little effort expended on my part as I can.

Besides, you're going to have this knife for a long, long time unless you get rid of it. Why not spend the extra little bit of money for a quality piece?

LASur5r

Jack,
Do you believe in Murphy's Law?
Even when you're well prepared with the best equipment,stuff happens. When it hits the fan,and your life is on the line, you do not want to stake your life on equipment that is less than 100% reliable.
If you're willing to stake your life on it,how about your wife or kids? Your choice.
Ever been to the range when even your always gun went "click?" because the ammo you used had a hard primer? and your firing pin didn't quite set it off?
Good luck.