Do clean primer pockets matter

akinswi

I stopped running my new brass thru the resizing die. I just make sure they fit in the case gauge. I actually stopped trimming them too. I sat down one evening and sampled 100 cases from the same lot the shoulder bump and the case length were no more than 2 thousandths difference.

I just size the necks with a Mandrel type die. My best groups and scores came from doing this so I didnt mess with it.

There is nothing like Handloading Virgin Brass, If I could afford to only Handload I would

44 AMP

Staff
I stopped running my new brass thru the resizing die.

If that works for you that's fine. I still run virgin brass through my sizers, I consider it the first step in its loading life and it ensures uniformity.

Most virgin brass is perfect and ready to go, but sometimes, its not all that way.

Loose packed large caliber cases such as .45-70 are particularly susceptible to dented /out of round case mouths. Smaller round and bottle neck cases much less so, but it still happens from time to time.

back in the 70s new brass came in the same kind of packing loaded ammo did. Packed the same way, Rifle brass had individual compartments for each case, Rem pistol brass came in the styrofom trays, Win pistol was packed tight in the box alternating base up, base down. Nearly impossible to damage during shipping.

Today (and for the last few decades the brass comes in plastic bags. Certainly cheaper for the maker, but more prone to shipping and handling damage, so visual inspection prior to anything else is prudent, these days.