Do AR's hold value?

Technosavant

any Colt will hold it's value far better than ALL the other knock off's, and all the others ARE knock off's....., once more, just my OPINION !!

Any value a Colt would hold over any other gun you consider a "knock off" would be more the result of Colt's general quality level than just having the prancing pony on the side. A Colt would hold its value no better than a complete BCM rifle (not a Frankenrifle with a BCM upper, I mean one put together on an actual BCM lower), LMT, Noveske, or anything like that. They're all in the same quality class. Note- this only applies to current production Colts. If you're dealing with large hole lower era Colts or other Colt-specific tweaks to the spec, then it's not as likely to hold its value- why pay more for something that's going to be harder to find parts for? In that sense, Colt deviated from the spec (as much as the spec can apply to a gun intended for the civilian market... we can't really get the select fire ones, now, can we?) more than others, and as a result they actually produced guns that were LESS "AR-15ish" than those you consider knock-offs.

Ultimately, it's worth what somebody will pay for it, and in a time of a market glut and no shortage of quality guns, even the Colt rollmark isn't going to do enough to hold significantly more value than any other. The more knowledgable about the platform the buyer might be, the less likely that Colt pony is going to retain more value than the Stag, S&W, or anything else.

briang2ad

If you want a gun to hold value, become a collector. Buy collector guns and have fun. Watch your gun values build. Its a good thing.

If you want an AR, buy a good one, and ignore things like collector value. Learn the definition of terms like TDP, MPI, HPT, "properaly staked" 4150, etc.

Colt does not make clones - they make real M4s which the Services use in combat everyday.

We don't buy real M4s because of silly gun laws and generations of morons.

But... if you want a Milspec TYPE Semi-auto M4 from a company who has learned more about building ARs that you know about crapping, buy the gold standard and get a Colt. You can also do well with others: DD, BCM, LMT, etc.

chadio

If you're selling one - NO just ask any 'buyer'

If you're buying one - YES just ask any 'seller'

:D

P.S. - I gots a good one and see no need to ever buy or sell again, so I'm good to go :D

Bushmaster1313

Buy used online or after checking what similar used rifles go for.

Unless there is a big drop you should be able to get back 90% of what you pay for a basic rifle.