Digital vs. Beam Scales

Peter M. Eick

There is one comment I could add on the powder pro (rcbs). I found that if you un-plug it when you are not using it it drifts a lot more. If you leave it plugged in all the time it is very stable. I have mine in an out of a/c place (no direct drafts) and every time I check the weights it comes in right on the button. I check at the start and end of each session, but I think this is becoming a waste of time.

lockedcj7

I went digital then went back.

I've used an RCBS 5-0-2, lyman digital, Lee safety scale, old bonanza beam scale, el-cheap-o digital bought off E-Bay and RCBS 5-0-5.

I really like the 5-0-5 that I have now and will probably stick with it. I don't reload any volume and I'm not loading for competition. I can hand weigh every charge with the beam scale if I want to but I normally just use it to set up my powder measure and then weigh every 5th or so charge to be sure it's still right.

The problem I had with the digitals was this: I would put the pan on it and hit "zero". I would take the pan off and immediately put it back. The scale would not return to zero!

30Cal

I have both digital and an RCBS 5-0-5. I use the 5-0-5 99% of the time. With the beam scale, you can weigh something, and then weigh it again 10 minutes later and it still weighs the same. Plus it's quicker (I never wait for the needle to stop though).

Ty

rcupka

I am just getting started in hand loading and listened to many of the reloaders at the club where I shoot. These are some of the other ranger officer's and guys that I have come to respect. All are still using beam scales including 2 that bought digitals and then returned to the beam. I bought an RCBS 5-0-5 at a local gun show this past weekend for $32. NIB condition and no visible indication of wear. At the very least it will get me atarted and give me time to get some experience before investing in an expensive digital (if ever).

themouth1

I am sort of new to reloading so, I have to ask. Alot of the above posts were complaining about .5 grains difference. Is that going to make a big difference in a pistol caliber like .45 ACP? I know the bench rest guys need precision but I shoot IPSC and IDPA and don't think I need to be that close. Thanks,

rwilson452

In a small case like the .45ACP .5 gr and make a big difference. In a large case like a 30-06 or 7mm RUM not much if any. Consider the % of charge that .5gr is.

I am sort of new to reloading so, I have to ask. Alot of the above posts were complaining about .5 grains difference. Is that going to make a big difference in a pistol caliber like .45 ACP? I know the bench rest guys need precision but I shoot IPSC and IDPA and don't think I need to be that close. Thanks,

cheygriz

I've used a beam scale, the Lyman-Ohaus 1005 since 1966. A few years ago, I got a digital. After a few months, the digital was in the cabinet, and the old Lyman is still on the bench.

The single most important thing is not the type of scale, but a GOOD set of scale check weights, and the patience to use the check weights to verify the scale every time you start a reloading session.

You make it a habit to check a gun to see if it's loaded every time you pick it up. Get into the habit of checking the accuracy of your scale every time you reload. It's 30 seconds very well spent.

As for powder variation, I accept one percent. In a light 10 grain charge, .1 gr is the limit. In a 50 gr charge, .5 is the limit. It has worked for my for 40+ years!

Last edited:

Jump boot

Invssgt posted his question back in July of 2002,I imagine his new digital is wore out and he is now using his new RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 scale & ChargeMaster dispenser in place of it now.I know I am.I used a balance beam for thirty years.What was I thinking?This ChargeMaster works great with Tri-focals too and the old neck doesn't get sore from bending it back to see those tiny little numbers on the beamamajiggy.Shaking hands aren't an issue any more either.

Last edited:

flintsghost

I started out in the late 60's with a Lyman 10-10, Then threw that over for a Ohaus 1110 "Dial a Grain" about 20 years ago. I've tried a couple of electronics but the Ohaus is fast enough for me and it is the Rolls Royce of beam scales with fast adjustments easy to use.