Die Maintenance?

Clifford L. Hughes

Cowboy Mo:

I remove the decapping stems and the seating plugs from my dies and then I clean the dies just like I do my rifle bores using a pistol cleaning rod and RCBS's plastic case neck brushes. For my pistol seating die, after I load lead bullets, I soak the die in solvent for a few hours and then dry with a soft cloth. Next, I air dry them and lightly lub. Rifle sizing dies must be kept clean of grit that will scratch the brass.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited:

AlaskaMike

Unless you have dies using plastic parts (or Lee's rubber o-rings), there's no need for non-chlorinated, in this application.

I wasn't thinking about its effects on plastic so much as its toxicity. I've read that chlorinated solvents can be really nasty. When both types do the same job equally well, I'll opt for non-chlorinated in a heartbeat.

jtmo3

I've been reloading for many years and I think I can remember one time I cleaned a die and that was because somehow, I ended up with lube built up inside. Many thousands of rounds and years of use and I just have had no need to clean a die except maybe to blow into them to get anything loose out. All my dies make fine loaded rounds too.

hooligan1

Well I generously spray my older RCBS dies with Brake-cleaner, then its the airhose, which removes al the brakecleaner, then a shot of G-96, and then another blast of air. I do this maybe every 2 or 300 rnds whether it needs it or not!:)

dikko

I think RCBS must think we are fools to fall for that. I check my dies occasionally for rust. If I think I won't use them for a while I clean them and give them a coat of light oil. You'd need something better for long term storage, but light oil is OK for a few months.

I clean them occasionally, to remove lube build up or other muck. All you need for that is turps (mineral oil) or paint thinner and an old tooth brush. Paint thinner, by the way is the main ingredient of Hoppes, except that it lacks the trong distinctive odour because they use an odourless type.

Clark

Per Varmint Al, I put dies in the mini lathe, spin them, and poke a Q-tip up inside with FLITZ on it.

publius

I disassemble my dies periodically, especially if some dirty cases have been run through and clean them just like my guns. Ed's Red solvent and plastic brisleted bore brush and patches. Light oiling every time i touch them.

Volucris

Most brake cleaners for sale still are non-chlorinated. Chlorine makes it a stronger solvent but your genealogy will thank you for not modifying your epigenetics through toxicity exposure. Halogenated solvents are incredibly bad for living things.

I prefer Simple Green then a wash with dish soap and water. Hand dry (air dry will lead to rust) then apply CLP. Inside of dies such as sizing dies are just wiped dry and sprayed with Hornady One Shot spray lubricant (works great for smaller caliber cases like 223. Does not work well for big ones like 308).