Die Maintenance?

Cowboy_mo

I caught a blurb on "Shooting USA" today about die maintenance and the RCBS Die Maintenance kit.

Just wondering if any of the really experienced reloaders use this kit or have other methods of keeping your dies in good condition?

The kit runs about $30 plus shipping and comes with a can of spray cleaner, a can of spray rust inhibitor, and 3 brushes with a handle.

What do you guys think?

Don H

I've been reloading since the mid-60's and had never heard of a die maintenance kit until you mentioned it. I don't believe I've suffered from the lack of one. I spray some brake cleaner into the die body, when it dries I give the die a shot of Hornady dry lube and that's about it. Never had any rust issues or any other issues.

BDS-THR

Cowboy_mo said:
Just wondering if any ... have other methods of keeping your dies in good condition?
I take apart my dies and tumble in walnut media treated with NuFinish car polish (I remove the rubber "O" rings) for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. The process removes any surface rust and coats the surface with a nice protective film. I only need to do it once or twice a year.

Here's a really rusty die clean up I did for a friend (these were 10+ year old Lee dies) and took about 20+ hours of tumbling in Berry's tumbler -

Before:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rusted shell plate on the right with full thickness layer of rust.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Die1.jpg
    Die1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 412
  • DieB2.jpg
    DieB2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 493
  • DieB3.jpg
    DieB3.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 410

BDS-THR

And after (The brownish sheen is not the dies, it's the lighting I used and all the dies came out nice chrome color):

Here's the full process I used as the extra layer of rust required the use of a chemical rust remover (in case you have dies this rusty) - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=586563

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DieE6.jpg
    DieE6.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 476
  • DieE2.jpg
    DieE2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 406
  • DieF2.jpg
    DieF2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 406

lamarw

I also have never heard of a maintenance die kit.

Very nice clean-up BDS-THR.

I bet your friend is most thankful.

How in the world did your friend's dies get so rusty? Did he keep them in a garage with mositure available?

I am fortunate to have a work area with climate control.

FrankenMauser

Normal maintenance (almost every time I use the die) is just a quick sweep for debris and lube build up, with a cotton swab.

"Heavy" maintenance is a couple squirts of Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner, followed by a light oiling.

wogpotter

Bore cleaner, used just like you'd use to clean a bore with brushes & patches. 3in1 electric motor oil (blue & white can, NOT red & white can). I've had some for 15 years with no problems.
The kit is probably more about selling a product than maintaining your dies.

BDS-THR

lamarw said:
How in the world did your friend's dies get so rusty? Did he keep them in a garage with mositure available?
He didn't reload for a while and the dies were left in the garage. When he blew the dust off, RUST!

Yes, he's very happy now and promised to do regular maintenance. :D

overkill0084

I must be doing something wrong. My dies don't get too dirty. I will hit them with a bit of brake cleaner and some q-tips on occasion.

wncchester

"The (RCBS) kit runs about $30 plus shipping and comes with a can of spray cleaner, a can of spray rust inhibitor, and 3 brushes with a handle. What do you guys think?"

As soon as I can get my breath back from a ROF,LMAO episode I'll tell ya!

I'm not laffing at you, laffing at RCBS!

Of course equipment makers will market anything they think may sell but that doesn't mean it's needed. Instead, go to Walmart's auto deptment and get a can of cheep spray carborator cleaner and a can of light oil; cost you about $3 for both. Add an old tooth brush, about half of a pencil and a half roll of toilet tissue to your new 'kit'. Use the brush to clean die threads, then wrap the tissue around the pencil to make a large swab so you can wipe out the die interiors after a spritz of the carb cleaner. Finish with a spritz of the oil.

IF you want to really clean rifle die necks you can use an old bore brush on a pistol length cleaning rod used as a handle. And you MAY want to add an old shotgun bore brush to clean the inner die walls but that's rarely necessary.

mikld

I have a coffee can (w/lid) of "soak" on the bench and occationally drop my dies in there to soak, after a couple hundred rounds or so. The "soak is mineral spirits, Marvel's Mystery Oil, and Kroil (about 1 pt., 1 cup, and a few ounces). Swish the can once in a while to loosen any lube, and when I remember to take them out, usually a day or two, I just let them drip dry and put them back in their box. Keeps my dies clean and no rust. Works for me...

AlaskaMike

I'm pretty much like most others here I guess, except I periodically squirt some WD-40 on mine and wipe them out.

One note on carb cleaner--try and get the non-chlorinated stuff if you can.

TheNatureBoy

Die maintenance kit? Like a few others, I take what ever one needs cleaning apart, clean it with a tooth brush, a little oil, and put it back together.

BigJimP

I clean them every time I change calibers / which is usually every 4,000 rds or so ....and for the most part, all I do is take the die apart / use very little gun cleaning solvent ( shooter's choice ) on it with a Q tip and clean them.

Cowboy_mo

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!

I was pretty sure there were cheaper ways to maintain the dies and appreciate you guys sharing them.