Did you use snap caps when sort of new with handguns?

TailGator

I have snap caps for all the center fire caliber I own. I am not certain they are necessary but I regard them as cheap insurance.

Dragline45

I doubt I own a gun that has been dry fired more than 5 times. I just go shooting if I want some trigger time.

Don't dismiss dry fire practice, as it can be as beneficial and in some cases more beneficial than live fire practice. Dry firing will not only let you get familiar with the trigger on your gun, when it breaks, it's reset, etc. But when dry firing you can see exactly what your sights are doing in relation the the trigger pull, and that alone can tell you alot.

You can also practice point shooting with a dry gun. Pick a spot on the wall, draw your pistol, and see how close you can get your sights on that exact spot without initially taking the time to line up the sights. Enough practice doing this your gun will point so naturally for you that in close quarters combat distances you won't even need to use sights to score effective hits.

In addition you can practice reloads, quick draw, and malfunction drills outside of the range and in your home.

Dry fire practice is free and can be done in the comfort of your own home, it will absolutely help you become a better shooter. You don't need to be tossing lead down range to become a better shooter. Just make sure you practice safely.

Uncle Malice

For all of you saying that snap caps are unnecessary in modern centerfire guns...

There are many examples of broken breech faces on Glocks from dry firing without snap caps.

There are many examples of broken striker retaining roll pins on XD/XDM pistols from dry firing without snap caps.

I've ready similar reports of broken firing pins on other guns from dry firing.

I'm sure there are others, but those two come immediately to mind. I'm certainly in the camp of, "It's cheap insurance." I especially like that thay are a unique color as well. It's much better training.

If you're making a dummy round with a spend casing and you train yourself to check the breech, see brass, and it's okay to pull the trigger... that seems like a recipe for disaster. I hope you're painting the casings of your dummy rounds something unique.

Stay safe.

Hook686

I would add to those using a spent case ... after the first shot, the firing pin is not going to impact anything ... might as well not have a spent case in the chamber.

Dragline45

I would add to those using a spent case ... after the first shot, the firing pin is not going to impact anything ... might as well not have a spent case in the chamber.

I have heard of some people knocking the primer out and fitting a piece of rubber in the primer pocket. But I do agree, once that primer is dented it really defeats the purpose.

Ibmikey

Obviously it is personal preference to use a snap cap or not, with my many thousands of dry firing pulls on a trigger never have I observed undue wear or damage. I do have a large pistol collection of a brand that is noted for breaking firing pins if constantly dry fired, I keep a snap cap in them " just in case". While a member of a police pistol team dry fire was the thing to hone and keep shooting skills alive, without it I would have not attained the skill I had.