Did you know this about Springfield Armory?

Number 6

Ludicrous analysis

The U.S. Mint sells to civilians; billion of dollars worth of coins.
The U.S. Department of Interior sells excess land to civilians.
Many U.S. government agencies sell or auction surplus and used items.

And what distinguishes ALL the above from weapons?

Weapons designed and built for the government are not intended for civilian use.

Coins - ALL money - is INTENDED to be distributed to the general populace. Government contracted weapons are NOT.

Land is harmless and requires no special license to own. Weapons are, by definition, NOT harmless and most military weapons DO require special permits, to the extent they are available at all.

Government surplus sales dispose of material the government has no use for. Do you REALLY expect us to believe current production weapons from government arsenals so qualify? :rolleyes:

For those in the area, the old Springield Arsenal - what's left of it - is now a museum. Well worth the trip, if you're in the area.

Powderman

Weapons designed and built for the government are not intended for civilian use.

Uh, you might want to look at the following link:

www.odcmp.com

Also, be advised that until relatively recently, you could purchase 1911 NM Pistols at the National Championships. Priced a Drake NM lately?

Eghad

Not only that, most (if not all) of their firearms are not "American". The XD is made in Croatia and I believe that Imbel (of Brazil) is making most of their 1911 pistols.

If you can handle more disillusionment, the company currently called "Armalite" has no connection whatsoever with the original Armalite. They used to be Eagle Arms until they bought the rights to the name they're currently using.

Their motto is "A History of Innovation". Their current new product is a Turkish clone of a Czechoslavakian design--guess there's some history there but it's hard to see the innovation.

Imagine my suprise when I got my certificate and pin for 15 years of United States Federal Civil Service and when you pulled the lapel pin out of the box the inside label said made in China. :eek:

Dfariswheel

Other US Government arsenals have also had their names used by commercial companies.

Rock Island Arsenal has been used by several companies over the years, as has Red River, and several others.

Ithaca has been in and out of business several times.

The big question is...

What defines "original company."

Realistically I don't think ANY company is the "original" company.

Why?

Because Horace Smith & Daniel Wesson founded the company. Both are dead.

Sam Colt founded the company. He's dead.

E. Remington founded the company. Dead.

And so forth and so on...

That said, however, Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson and Ruger have all been in continuous production since their founding.

Number 6

Nice try, but.........

Quote:
"Weapons designed and built for the government are not intended for civilian use."

Uh, you might want to look at the following link:

www.odcmp.com

Also, be advised that until relatively recently, you could purchase 1911 NM Pistols at the National Championships.

True - but disingenuous.

Those guns were never designed to be sold to civilians; they were designed and built to arm our military. That they subsequently trickled down to civilians is an unintended benefit.

Note further that the Garands are basically GONE and you will never get anything more recent, as those weapons have full-auto capability.

Care to reconsider your theory?

Limeyfellow

Not quite, Imbel forges the frames, then ships them to Genesee for final finish and assembly with other parts.

Only a few of the custom 1911s like the Trophy Match, TRP, TGO are assembled in Genesee. Most such as the The Mil-Spec and GI 1911s are fully assembled in Brazil.

Samurai

Springfield Inc.'s motto "The Oldest Name In American Firearms" while technically true, is misleading since the company has no connection whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory.

Except for the fact that the new Springfield Armory manufactures the same makes and designs (plus a few new ones) that the old Springfield Armory used to make...

Other than that... Sure! Nothing in common...

And no, it's not false advertising. In fact, "Springfield" IS a name that is quite old in the arms trade. Now, if they said, "we've been making firearms since (whenever)" and they haven't, then that might be misleading. But, they didn't say that.

An aside: As I understand it, it's actually quite common for corporations to periodically "dissolve" and then reincorporate, or to undergo mergers, acquisitions, etc. It keeps things in the corporate arena fresh and unincumbered.

MikeOrick

No more misleading than Glock "perfection"?

Did ya know the sun doesn't really rise or set!?

Friendly fire isn't !?

SBDs aren't!?

If you ask the armorer for a clip for your M9/M11/M4 he will know you really mean a magazine!?

Communication is inevitable. Or not. Know what I mean? ;)

JAYBIRD78

Springfield and Armalite are both currently in Geneseo Illinois. Approx. 20 Minutes from my residence and doesn't bother me a bit. Now if I could only get a tour. Wasn't Smith and Wesson owned by some parent company over in Britain a few years back? My greatest concern is the gatorade comercials, I keep drinking the stuff but don't run or jump any better.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

foob

No more misleading than Glock "perfection"?

Did ya know the sun doesn't really rise or set!?

Friendly fire isn't !?

SBDs aren't!?

If you ask the armorer for a clip for your M9/M11/M4 he will know you really mean a magazine!?

Communication is inevitable. Or not. Know what I mean?

Really like SA don't yah?

SA's motto is intentionally trying to mislead, these you mentioned aren't.

What does the inevitably of communication, and intentionally misleading motto have in common?

P.S. Glock's "perfection" is an opinion. Hope nobody is stupid enough to fall for it.

Kermit

Yeah, I knew it. Just a tid bit of info I learned years ago hanging out at a gun shop...see, not only does my wallet get sucked dry there, but I learn stuff there too! :D

tydephan

Does it really matter?

I was aware that the privately owned company was not the same as the original Springfield Armory.

But...I was not aware of that fact originally, when I purchased my first 1911 (a Springfield GI45). Believe it or not, I purchased the gun because I had heard a lot of great things about their 1911s. My research revealed quality products and fantastic customer service. So I bought into them.

The origin of the company was an afterthought.

Not long after I purchased the GI, I was bopping around on Al Gore's internet one day and discovered the information about Springfield being privately owned.

I didn't feel slighted or mislead, for my pistol was quality. As a matter of fact, a few months later I bought another much more expensive Springfield product, the EMP.

In my opinion, the company is living up to (possibly even surpassing) the standards of excellence established by the original armory. So...it bothers me not!

unrealtrip

This is the same as any company, I'm not seeing the point. All they are is a name and a mission statement.

Look at the mighty Jeep, a true American war hero, "short, squat and ugly as sin." Rights owned by Willys, Ford, AMC, Chrysler and now owned by a German company with some parts made in Japan, now that's irony with a capital I.

allenomics

Obviously, Springfield Armory is benefiting from the hard work, positive reputation and perception of a completely different entity.

What SA is doing is legal but not moral. It's hardball business.

Many of their foreign made guns, with the American name, have good reputations for duability, design and accuracy.

But without the "goodwill" earned by Springfiemd Armory, Springfield Armory would probably not be especially noteworthy, by any other name.