Did I Overreact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragline45

If I am not expecting company I always answer the door armed, not as in I answer the door with a gun in my hand, but before I answer the door ill shove a pistol in my waistband.

zach_

You did good. If you ever move to Dallas, keep your same level of readiness. It might save your life. We don't open the door unless we know who it is. Lots of bad things happen here in D. I would guess that a bad guy would have chosen the wrong home by going after anybody posting on this site.

NateKirk

You did well I think, but to those of you who just don't answer the door, come on. That's just rude. Remember that we live in America, not the third world. Hell I live in Detroit, and I always answer the door (Pistol ready of course) when someone comes calling. Some people are so paranoid:rolleyes: Remember, people can come to your door needing someone's help (car accident, attacker, injury etc.), not just your wallet.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
My next door neighbor had someone knock on his door late at night. He didn't answer the door at all, just watched the person through a window that gave him a view of the door. After waiting awhile, the person left. As he walked past the corner of the house, his accomplice, who had been waiting just out of sight joined him and they left together.

MT 73

That's pretty much what I do, except I don't "get" my little J frame. It's in my pocket. And I can see everyone within 15'-20' of the door. So I can see that someone's alone, and have my gun in my hand (in my pocket) without the whole family thinking I'm paranoid.
Totally agree.
Pocket carry gives you good access without appearing to be armed.
It also allows you to move around in a more natural manner rather than trying to shield a drawn gun with your body.
Especially--as once happened to me--if it is the police who are knocking at your door.
( I lived in an apartment building and someone called that a woman was screaming in my apartment. Don't know why because I was home alone at the time.)

zach_

JohnKSa, that sounds like a typical robery situation that happens here often. I guess a person with good intentions at my door would consider me rude, paranoid, or anti-social. I have been called worse. There is a law against solicitation here. When I was a field tech, we were instructed to stand back at least 6 feet from the door after ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door. We also did not go to a house if our office did not get an answer when calling on the phone immediately prior to our arrival. Most of our clients were in gated communities, and the guard shack would not let us in without home owner confirmation, or had a gated entry to their property. This was before cell phones were mainstream. The gated communities still had higher crime rates for some reason.

Glenn E. Meyer

1. Answer the door - don't open it with a lot of consideration.
2. If the person says they need help - tell them you are calling the law and then go do it.

I had a late night woman knocking - I refused to answer and then heard her say to someone off to the side that 'he won't open the door'.

Wonder what that was? :rolleyes:

If you open the door, even with your handheld howitzer - you are behind the curve from a blitz.

TimSr

Years ago that happened when I lived in SD. A late night knock at the door and stupid me opened it. It turned out the guy was lost on our rural road and stopped for directions. After I'd given him the directions he wanted to shake my hand and I obliged. Then he left. My son just out of the Army looked at me and told me, "Dad he had full control of you!" He did too. That won't happen again.

Biggest mistake was shaking his hand! This custom was begun as a sign of peace or truce to show you have no weapons. When he has ahold of your right hand, you are defenseless unless you happen to be left handed, and you are too close to defend yourself.

Ran into a similar situation, drunk guy at 1:30am looking for somebody. He was at front soor which I don't use, so I came out the side door, and asked what he wanted. I had slipped a jacket on with a .38 in my right hand in the pocket. I did not brandish it, or show it, just kept it in my hand in my pocket. After I told him he was at wrong house and needed to leave he apologized and wanted to shake my hand. I just looked at him, and repeated "you need to leave". He then apoligised again and said he was sorry and he didn't blame me for not shaking his hand. I told him, "nothing personal, but its 1:30am, I don't know you, and I'm not letting go of the revolver in my hand in order to shake yours." I truly believe he was a lost drunk, but If he had any malicious intentions about coming back, I'm sure he thought better of it. Yes, I called police afterwards.

IMO

Don't answer door = nobody is home

Open door and friendly= sucker

Open door, be polite but unhappy, indirectly let them infer they are covered=you picked the wrong house

Open door brandishing weapon = psycho

I always re-act the way you did. It's a shame but that's the world we live in.
I will not let my wife ever answer the door even when I'm home. BTW, she backs me up

dayman

I generally greet people if they come to the door. I have good enough situational awareness that I feel like I can tell the difference between pollsters, missionaries, and boogymen.
The world is exactly as unfriendly as we make it.

I sometimes carry a gun in the house, but I wouldn't bother to get one just to open the door.
I do have a couple of large dogs, and a fairly long approach to the house.

If I was older, smaller, or lived in a worse area I might have a different view. But the worst thing I've ever had to deal with is an unwanted copy of "the watchtower".
YMMV

sawdustdad

I don't think you over reacted. Not many people ever get to my front door.

These guys hang out in the yard. You've got to come in the gate to get to the house.

Attachments

• small dogs.jpg
    small dogs.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 66

Mainah

Beautiful dogs. I spent years living with Shepherds and Rottweilers, but those days are over for me. A dog isn't going to be part of my solution anymore. Unless a chipmunk wearing my wife's favorite shoes busts into the house, then the little guy I've got now will go full Cujo. Otherwise I'm on my own.

No, you did not overreact. One can never be too careful.

Nor did you act very prudently, either. Opening the door, even if you thought there was only one person out there, put you at risk of being stabbed, shot, or overpowered. And the revolver in your hand would likely not have prevented it.

Watch this and reflect upon it.

stonewall50

Nobody knocks on my door, but I usually inspect before I open the door. If I see it is some scrawny kid with flyers I wouldn't have messed with my gun. I would keep my foot behind the door and open it slightly.

It all depends on your own comfort and read of the situation. If you felt it was overreacting before you opened the door...why?

Sherlock Holmes is an idol for us self defense nuts. Not because he was a fighter. Or a master marksman. No. Because he didn't resort to those skills unless he had too. that is what we should strive for. Observational superiority and learn all you can as fast as you can in any given situation.

Mainah

If I was as smart as Sherlock Holmes I wouldn't need to post here for advice. On the plus side I'm not hooked on opium.

I live at the edge of a very rural village, within 1/4 mile of a county park. I do not ever answer the door after dark without my pistol in my hand behind my back. I never go out in my yard after dark without carrying my pistol. Not only is there a chance of human predators but there is also a good chance of meeting up with wild life predators on my property.

Being prepared is not overreacting. Doing something stupid and unnecessary when prepared is overreacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.