Destroying/throwing away

publius

People please do not throw away or destroy guns you don't like. I have seen several instances of this on here where people were unhappy with reliability or something else and threw a gun away. No matter how big of a POS you think something is, somebody wants it. Offer to give it to somebody here if they pay for the shipping.

dpetreikis

yeah, that... or hang on to it until the gun-grabbers in your town throw one of those "turn your guns in for cash" nonsense things. then go there acting all disgusted with your evil, wicked horrible firearm and tell them how glad you are to be rid of such a wicked, evil thing... take the money and run.

Bill DeShivs

I don't agree with using the gun "buy back" (not that they ever owned them in the first place!) programs.
Doing so just adds legitimacy to the programs. That's one more "evil gun" off the streets, etc.

dpetreikis

FWIW, i've never participated in one, either... but then, I've never owned a gun that was so bad it was hopeless, either

KyJim

I think I've only heard of one person trashing a gun because it was unreliable. If I had a gun that bad, I would probably sell it for parts.

Daekar

Me neither... if I don't sell a gun I give it away. I've never had trouble finding interested parties. I like the idea of ensuring that a gun has a good home where it will be appreciated, or that the person who has it is capable of handling its quirks - I never assume that gun shops disclose all the little niggles that might come with a used gun.

MLeake

The only guys I have heard of destroying guns, did so because they felt those guns were defective to the point of being unsafe. In those cases, giving them away could have exposed them to as much lability as selling them would have done. For their own peace of mind, destroying the weapons was the safest course of action.

DMZX

I have destroyed one gun. It was an RG .38 Spl that I deemed defective and very unsafe to fire.

I took it apart. Hammered the barrel flat and kept the cylinder as a paper weight/pencil holder.

FrankenMauser

Not mine, but I helped render it "safe":
attachment.php

Even though there are plenty of Sterlings still going strong, this one had turned itself into an unreliable, unsafe POS. No one was willing to pay more than $20 for it as a parts gun. So, the owner decided to relieve some frustration the pistol had created.... It was well worth throwing $20 down the drain.

kozak6

I could see myself hammering a Bryco flat, or melting it and casting it into something more interesting. Or both!

It would seriously be no big loss to the firearm community.

cougar gt-e

I can't recall any threads where people were destroying guns.

Now there are a few of us that have had unfortunate boating accidents and lost our entire arsenal (and ammo) in bottomless lakes during storms.

aarondhgraham

I once filled a gun with epoxy,,,

Some no-name semi-auto in .25 ACP,,,
I bought it for 10.00 at a garage sale in California.

The gun was definitely broken as the slide would barely move,,,
The insides were rusted and parts were disintegrating.

So, I filled it with Epoxy,,,
Polished the exterior as well as I could,,,
Then made a shadow-box frame around a .45 rpm record.

The name of the record was "Saturday Night Special"

Then I mounted the pistol in the box behind a piece of glass,,,
Gave it to my musician brother for a birthday present.

Aarond

Kreyzhorse

I don't know any one who has ever just "trashed" a gun before no matter how big of a POS it is. From what I've seen, there is always some one who is willing to buy a gun no matter how cheap it may be.

FrankenMauser

I don't know any one who has ever just "trashed" a gun before no matter how big of a POS it is. From what I've seen, there is always some one who is willing to buy a gun no matter how cheap it may be.

That's true. But if the person willing to buy the POS is only willing to pay pennies ($10, $25, $30) for it, is that really worth it to the owner?

Sometimes, the stress and frustration relief is far more valuable than the measly sum the POS brings in as a "parts gun".

larryf1952

If I had a gun that was that worthless, or that I hated that much, or was that much of an aggravation, and it was only worth a few $$ or would be a danger to somebody else, I'd gladly take enjoyment in pounding the living cr*p out of it or crushing it in a vise, as Mr. FrankenMauser suggests.

The euphoria and satisfaction that that could bring me would likely be worth at least double whatever I might get from selling it.

But, I don't have any guns like that. Not even my old Jennings J-22 has been THAT bad. ;)

Hawg

I've got an old Burgo .22, it's DA only and has about a 25 lb. trigger pull. Only fires shorts and the cylinder has to be removed to load it. I wouldn't treat it that way even tho it is a POS. It can't help what it is.:D

MLeake

Bill DeShivs, if I could identify healthy and safe parts, I'd sell or give them away. If the gun seemed to be so poorly made that it was just one big accident waiting to happen, I wouldn't sell nor give parts away.

I would neither want to have to worry about somebody harming themselves because on an ethical level I just don't want that to happen, nor worry about possible lawsuits that might arise from my providing parts that a lawyer might claim caused an accident because they were defective.

Liability releases may not be bulletproof. This has been the subject of some recent threads.