Desert Eagles

critter44

I got to handle a Desert Eagle in .357 Mag caliber today. That is one HUGE hunk of iron! I understand they are also available in .44 mag, 50 AE and maybe other calibers. How is the quality, accuracy, reliability of these artillery pieces? I shouldn't think recoil would be much of a problem considering the weight-true? I can't imagine a holster for one that would make it comfortable to carry-maybe pop-out trolly wheels! Or is it a crew-served weapon? Any experience with one is welcome. Thanks.

PsychoSword

Honestly, I don't understand what the point of them is other than show. The .44 mag model I think only holds 7 rounds so you might as well shoot a S&W 629 revolver.

blades67

The .50AE will get your attention, but it won't hurt you. Stop by the Desert Eagle web site and have a look at some of the goodies they offer.

Rembrandt

I bought one of the Israeli made stainless framed units in .44Mag many years ago. Recoil is very mild thanks to the weight of the pistol. Workmanship is first class, accuracy is outstanding. I got the 6" and 14" barrels, actually they hold 8 rounds plus 1 in the chamber.

I practiced all summer one year for an antelope hunt, figured I needed to be accurate out to 200yds. Dropped my antelope with one shot at 210yds, no problem....(14" barrel & Burris 4X scope).

The feel of the gun can be changed with different grips, Houge makes some nice soft rubber grips, for looks there is nothing nicer than the Lazer engraved Walnut grips. No question it is a handfull, not for everyone. Have carried mine with both belt and shoulder holsters....easy to carry, hard to hide.

JIH

It's good for hunting, and they're very accurate. They aren't THAT heavy unless all you're used to using is a Glock. You'll appreciate the weight when you shoot it, in any case.

And the .44s hold 8+1. .357s hold 9+1, .50s hold 7+1.

DaleA

I always heard that the Israeli Army issued a PAIR of .44 Desert Eagles to the troops that got them. With just one DE in a hip holster there was a tendency for the soldier to walk in circles. :p

easymoney

I had one in 44mag. It was fun to shoot, but it felt akward- not very ergonomic.

But it is an attention grabber at the range:D

swifter...

I got to shoot a .50AE a couple years ago. Accurate, and surprisingly pleasant to shoot, albeit a handful to control. Followup shots are a little slow without lots of practice.:D
Tom

warhammer357

Movie prop

It is really more of a movie prop than a weapon.
They are gas operated and in some models have to be thouroughly cleaned every 200 rounds to keep functioning properly.
The gas action also robs the rounds fired of some velocity, so you can pack a four pound desert eagle with a six inch tube and shoot your .357 rounds out of it, and they will have the same velocity as your five shot, J-rame. 357 with a two inch barrel.
Only advantage I see in them is that you can get spare mags for the pieces that will enable you to fire up to ten rounds in .357 or .44. Of course, it would be cheaper and faster and more comfortable to just carry a pair of Smith and Wessons....
They do look impressive in the movies though.....

branrot

While some use the DE's for hunting, for me it's strictly a "fun gun". Mine is a bright chrome .50AE, and it's a blast to shoot. Recoil isn't that bad (about on par with a .44 Mag Revolver, maybe a little rougher), but muzzle flash and blast is huge. As a fun gun, though, that's a bonus for me! Biggest problem is follow up shots; they take a while because you keep giggling after every shot!

lockandrock

The DE is great for a strong hunting platform.Easy controls of the safety, smooth trigger action, very accurate and with the later models all you need todo is install a good set of scope rings and a good handgun scope and you will have a topclass hunting handgun for deer/hog etc..

I highly doubt any solider in the Isarel army are issue DE due to their cost and most importantly the weight. Thoose who think the DE has a lot of recoil ( 50AE ) most likely have not fired one. All of the DE that I 've shot 357magnum and 50Action Express where way softer than the hottest 9mm +p+ or 10mm load. The 4lbs of metal and big rotating link absorbs alot of recoil and make this gun a very soft shooter. As soon as I can safe up the dinero, I would like to buy a DE-44magnum to use for a hunting only purpose.

raz-0

I have one in .357. It is NOT meant for carry or frankly for self defense. It's a fun gun, and from what I ahve heard it makes a nice hunting handgun.

it's definitely accurate, and I really like the trigger on mine. It's also very mellow for shooting magnum rounds.

It's definitely a want one kind of gun, not a need one kind of gun.

For the record, I've been really happy feeding my .357 DE magtech 158gr SJSP. The stuff has been really clean. It's upped the sketchy cycling from getting dirty from 250 rounds or so to a number that exceedes my wallet's paint threshold for one range session and my ability to just let it hang around and get dirty.

Which after the math = about 300 rounds actually fired and based on the ammount of grunge cleaning it, probably could go another 150+

Rocklobster

Most gas-operated weapons need cleaning every couple of hundred rounds to maintain proper function.

Warhammer- you are mistaken about the effect of the gas system on velocity.

Peter Gun

I really like my .357 Deagle. However i had to sell it as it just hurt my hand to much. Not w/ recoil as the .357 is like shooting a .22 revolver, but the grip is so long that w/ my short fingers it put a lot of strain on my hand to hold it up reach the trigger. It does require good cleaning, and does not loose very much velocity because of the gas operation. because of it's ability to group very tightly and rapid fire accuratly, my favorite thing to do with it was shoot down small trees w/ one quick magazine!

Rocklobster

Yep, it would be interesting to see someone try to make one hole in a billboard at 100 yds with a 2" J frame, much less neat little 6" groups like a DE...

Gewehr98

Warhammer, what orifice did you pull that info out of?

The gas action also robs the rounds fired of some velocity, so you can pack a four pound desert eagle with a six inch tube and shoot your .357 rounds out of it, and they will have the same velocity as your five shot, J-frame. 357 with a two inch barrel.
Say what?:eek:

I run an early 1984-vintage 6" .357 Desert Eagle, and it pushes my 168gr handloads over 1600fps through the chronograph. Sorry, I ain't losing that much velocity to the gas action, and I sure as heck ain't losing so much that it emulates a 2" J-frame Smith. (Not that I'd even WANT to run such a load through the little J-frame)

Something neat, the aftermarket .357 Desert Eagle magazines hole 10 rounds of ammo, plus one up the pipe, for 11 rounds total.

I'm very fond of my "movie prop". It's almost like that Harley saying, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand". You don't see a glut of folks selling their Desert Eagles, the owners tend to like them... ;)

IanS

I've shot them on occasion. And they are fun to shoot. I don't begrudge anyone who owns one or wants to get one. I just have different priorities that's all.

Russ

My cousin used to have a .44. It was a really nice shooter. I think they are too big and for my money I'd rather have a .44 revolver if I wanted a .44. Since my son saw the movie "The Matirx", he wants one bad. That's the gun the "Agents Smith" used in the film. He's only 18 so he can't legally get one yet.