Desert Eagle or not?

ZekeLuvs1911

Gang,
I'm very close to ordering a Mark 19 Desert Eagle 44 Mag in Bright Nickel. Should I? My roommate has a old Mark 7 in .357 and I love it! Shoots accurately for a hand cannon. What do you guys think? Is it worth the $$$$$$$$?

Joe Demko

Desert Eagles are well made, accurate pistols that work well as long as the ammunition you use is within the parameters the manufacturer specifies. One of the really, really great things about the .357 and .44 magnums is that cartridges can be purchased or handloaded with many different bullets weights and types. They can also be loaded to higher or lower pressures. You give up a lot of that when you choose a Desert Eagle over a revolver in those calibers. The DE's do have an undeniably high "kewl" factor and might well be worth owning on that basis alone if you have other guns to fill more practical niches.

Rovert

Zeke, think it over. If you're asking for my opinion... and you know how much our preference for guns is very similar, I'd say to take a pass.

The DE is cool looking, but that's where it ends for me.

It's totally impractical for anything. Can't really use it for target, can't use it for carry, can't use it for home defense, it weighs a ton, and ammo is expensive.

Surely for that kind of money, there's something else that you can add to your collection that would be more fun, and you'd get more mileage out of? I know you're a semi-auto man, but how about a nice revolver? Or a mousegun for those 'close encounters of the third kind'? Maybe a historic reproduction like a Schofield? Perhaps even a long gun... maybe an AR or a nice shotgun for clays?

I just think that the DE is a gun to buy when your collection is filled with other more versatile, practical, things.

Now, of course, I'd love to have one for my collection... but if I'm paying for it, it's not the first choice. :D

ZekeLuvs1911

Hey Rovert!
How ya doing? Long time no hear! I know where you are coming from. I do have a large collection of handguns (total of 14 but that is nothing to some of you folks out there). ;) Anyway, I don't know what other pistol to get. Looks is a definite in thing with me and yes, mainly semi-auto for me. I do have one revolver....a Colt .357 Python in BSTS. Hmmmm...dwell on it for a couple of more hours.

krept

Anyway, I don't know what other pistol to get.

Must be nice! If this is the case, why not get one? Especially if you have all your other bases covered. Personally, I'd go with stainless if I wanted a white pistol as I have heard nickel is attacked by certain solvents? Something like that...

I vote YES.

seeker_two

ZekeLuvs1911:

Since you already have a Python, why not look for an Anaconda in .44Mag to match. Same smooth action, but chambered in a more powerful round.

Another advantage to a revolver is that you can use .44Spl for practice & light target work. The DE doesn't give you that option.

Good luck on your next purchase, whatever it may be...

honocor

I don't personally own a DE, but know some people who do, and have shot them 'many a time'. They are a blast to shoot, and are a good hunting piece with the x-tra long barrel you can get. The only thing I didn't like about it, besides the weight, which you have to expect for a gun that size, is the unordinarry amout of shells that smacked me in the forhead!!! I have had all the semi-autos I have shot eject a shell to the noggin' every once in a while, but with the DE it happened religiously.

ZekeLuvs1911

hksigwalther,
How did you guess that I tend to collect? I do shoot the guns that I buy......well haven't shot the Python yet.....:p

BamBam

If you've got practical guns, why not splurge on a little excess?

I can't think of a pistol that has more of a "Cool" factor than a DE.

Baron Holbach

If the DE in .357 or .44 magnum can reliably cycle hard cast lead flat-nosed bullets, then it will make a fine hunting pistol for medium- to large-size game.

ZekeLuvs1911

I actually thought of something. With the SB700 going to the State senate for vote, it may be impossible to get a DE soon. Maybe I should get it just to beat the bill. This is the Smart gun Bill that they are talking about here in the PRNJ.

HandgunShooter

A local gun range in Stockton put one on their rental list a while back, and then took it off just a few weeks later, because according to the manager, the piece needs so repair every 150 -200 rounds!

JG

Yes get it.........
violent.gif
:D

Russ

If it floats your boat, get it. Life is short and you may as well have what you want. My son wants one of these badly. I tried to discourage him but gave up. To each his own. They are huge guns but I must admit they are pretty cool looking. I'm a big fan of the movie the Matrix. All the "agents" had these. Just do it and don't look back. Post a pic for us if you get it.

Drjones

I say get it! They are totally cool, I've always wanted one, and someday I will have one.

Nickel is a great finish for those too!

BUT, get the .50! If you're gonna do it, do it right! :D

GSMD Fan

At first reading your post I was saying "no do not waste your money".

Then someone yelled, "Get the Fifty".

OK
I am now convinced. THAT sounds real cool.

If you are gonna get a DE to be cool, get a .50.

You never now when yeti will break into your home.

I would definitely want a DE .50 for a yeti, no mouse gun there.