Delaware AG Investigates Shoplifting of 500K Rounds of Ammunition from Cabelas

101combatvet

I think we have all seen videos of shoplifting run complete amuck and into the area of organized crime. 500K rounds over six months is quite a lot. That would be 10,000 50 round boxes. Since Cabelas is expensive this is likely around $5,000,000 at retail. Kind of surprised they did nothing to stop it.

Criminals obviously don't buy ammunition. I wonder if the next step will be for Delaware to start regulating the purchase of ammo.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...p&cvid=4b86039cb2424b48bd424dfe9a128a19&ei=21
There was theft; however, those numbers are an exaggeration. The office making an issue out of this wouldn't prosecute those criminals anyway.

Ammo is regulated.

101combatvet

Assuming an average price of around $1 per round, 500k rrounds would be worth $500,000, not $5,000,000. That would be $10 per round, which is pretty steep even for Cabelas.

What do you want to bet the stuff went out the back door (employee "shrinkage") rather than out the front door?
It didn't go out the back door.

I mean, they could do what most gun stores do: put the ammo behind the counter.

I'm no big-city rocket scientist, but it seems like I'd start doing that after losing a small fraction of that.

101combatvet

I mean, they could do what most gun stores do: put the ammo behind the counter.

I'm no big-city rocket scientist, but it seems like I'd start doing that after losing a small fraction of that.
That is what they did; however, it should have been earlier when they started to see the trend. Retail stores take losses daily; it's noticed, but often, it isn't worth the overall trouble, so it is often ignored. The state's attorney's office would throw most of these out of court anyway.

jonnyc

"fueled a plague of Delaware shootings" my a**.
What's to stop some violent drug dealer from simply entering the store to buy a box or 2 of ammo? Are they that cheap that they're worried about spending the extra buck or two, plus tax???

101combatvet

"fueled a plague of Delaware shootings" my a**.
What's to stop some violent drug dealer from simply entering the store to buy a box or 2 of ammo? Are they that cheap that they're worried about spending the extra buck or two, plus tax???
Yup, it's a lie, as with most of the reports. It's funny when you think about the mentality of the people that think this stuff up. :eek: Stolen ammunition caused shootings and drug dealings. :rolleyes:

Some of the loss was a few rounds stolen out of a box of fifty rounds, making that box unsellable.