defensive shotgun selection

TheKlawMan

Limited Barrel Selection

I don't believe anyone, including myself, mentioned an issue that you may want to consider. Look into what barrels the 590 and 590a will accept. (Same problem with the newest 870 tactical models)

ripnbst

Buy what feels best but if you do opt for an 870 I would not buy an express. I would buy one of the higher end models with the stronger internals. The Police or LE models for sure would be a solid buy. They are more $$$ but you get a better gun.

The Mossy 590A1 is a real solid choice and dollar for dollar a better scatter gun than the 870 IMO. Like I said, dollar for dollar. The 870 Police is probably what I would buy. You can be guaranteed there will always be an aftermarket for the police model.

publius

I have both and are both great guns. I have been shooting an 870 for 30 years so it is part of me so that's what I use. Get whichever one you like, you have made two great choices.

droptrd

I would (and have) choose the mossberg. The set up of the controls is a deal breaker for me with the 870. Factor in the price and slightly better tactical aftermarket support, the mossberg wins. The 590 is a beefed up 500. Whats not to love. I have 1000's of round through my 500s. They work flawlessly

checkmyswag

I think the 870 police models cost too much for what you get. Yes they are nice, but not a good value for the $.

I'd say go with the 870 express or "tactical" model knowing they're not as nice as the police model, but still plenty good enough. 590 is really good too. If you go with the 590, don't get a pistol grip on it, very awkward with the otherwise good top mounted safety.

Also, with the 590, I think you know this from your post, but the 590A1 is unique compared to the other 590s. As far as the blackwater editions go, I don't "get" those.

I like both 870s and 590s. Please don't judge the mossbergs by their HORRIBLE website. Wow, that was rough.

Last edited:

MikeGunz

590! :). J/k theyre both good.
IMAG0023.jpg

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
La Nelson, you HAVE a House gun.

Some House Guns I know of that were used successfully include....

An LC Smith 16 gauge SxS with 26" barrels.

A Remington Model 11 with a 28" barrel.

Sundry Model 97s and 12s with long barrels.

A Ithaca SBT with 34" barrel.

And, from personal experience, an 870 with 30" goose barrel.

All you need installed now on your 870 are a fresh set of wear marks.