Defensive Handgun Training

MarkCO

In my case, the intermediate and advanced classes I took hardly taught me anything that I needed to learn. They just made the targets more difficult than the beginner classes.

I am now training on my own.

Agree. Of the (maybe a decade ago) handful of instructors I'd take a class from, 2 have now passed (Voight and Avery). I shot with, and talked with Seeklander a good bit, but I'd still like to take an advanced class with him at some point. There are two precision rifle instructors as well.

Most of my "classes" that I take now are taught by Homeland and are cerebral exercises in best practices for organization and institutional security. The latest data and trends are something it is hard to keep up with as a civilian, and that is the best path. Fortunately, some of the things I do allow me access to those courses.

I still train a few folks a month at various levels. It is a good excuse to be on the range and when I break out my hardest or most demanding drill, I will usually do it myself, cold. It is a self test, and it also illustrates to the student that I can still hold myself to a high performance level. I find training others gives me more than taking advanced classes. At some point, and maybe you are also there, the pool of instructors good enough to take a class from becomes very small, and more expensive. And frankly, coaching the HS Shotgun team is more rewarding.

I now have 3 of my prior students traveling for classes as very accomplished shooters and trainers. That is part of the reward as well. One only teaches for the .mil, but if you get a chance to take a class from Charlie Perez or Riley Bowman, they both teach top notch courses.

TunnelRat

I now have 3 of my prior students traveling for classes as very accomplished shooters and trainers. That is part of the reward as well. One only teaches for the .mil, but if you get a chance to take a class from Charlie Perez or Riley Bowman, they both teach top notch courses.

I have Perez’s book, Path of Focused Effort on recommendation from others. If I can get some free time I can hopefully finish it.

MarkCO

I have Perez’s book, Path of Focused Effort on recommendation from others. If I can get some free time I can hopefully finish it.
Charlie took a small intro class from me many years ago. We met through the local GTO group. After that, he jumped in head first. He has been very successful, and is very analytical. I served as one of the editors of his book. Since I shoot all shooting sports, and he is pistol focused, I expanded a few areas to encompass action shooting sports in general.

DeltaFiveBravo

Firearms instructor Tom Givens has had 67 of his students accosted by armed attackers.

Three were murdered because they decided they didn't need to carry a gun that day.

The remaining 64 all won their gunfights.

61 of the encounters occurred at a distance of 3-7 yards.

The farthest distance of the other three was 21 yards.

Givens teaches simple techniques that work under stress.

Too many folks want to overly complicate and mystify defensive shooting.

fastbolt

In my experience simply attending competitions and attending training courses doesn’t necessarily make one skilled. What you’re putting into it outside of that is easily as or more important. Quite simply you also don’t know what you don’t know (unknown unknowns). The more exposure you get to more things the more from which you can draw.

I think this is worth repeating.

One of the primary reasons I originally tested to become a LE firearms instructor was to get the opportunity to receive more training (and not just how to teach other adults), but also to have the opportunity to engage in recurrent practice of whatever I was learning ... under the watchful eyes of the senior instructor staff. Back in those days, most of them had been members of various agency-sponsored Pistol Teams, so they were often stern taskmasters with new and inexperienced fledgling instructors.

In my case, we were transitioning from revolvers to pistols at the same time I was becoming an apprentice instructor, so there was that to contend with at the same time. Free range use and ammunition, though, so I spent as much time attending training and practicing as possible ... and getting paid for it. :)

Over the years I noticed that some people who joined the training staff were content to achieve the minimum standards allowed for instructors, and others strove to always improve and push the limits of their abilities, skills and knowledge. It was the same way everywhere else I went for training, and when I helped train people from outside agencies over the years, but that's because human nature is fairly predictable.

Training and learning what's being taught, and then being able to properly practice what's taught ... and finding the training venues that teach what you need to learn.

Nothing wrong with competition, either. Remember that much of the earlier 'modern' competition venues got their beginning from the involvement of police who wanted to compete. Sure, it's important not to pick up any 'training scars' that might prove to become counter-productive for actual shooting situations outside competition range conditions. But that falls under the general heading of TANSTAAFL.

FWIW, one of the sad things I observed, before my retirement, was while attending a Firearm Instructor's Update class. Only current, experienced firearms instructors working at agencies were allowed to attend, so the hope would be that they'd be somewhat skilled when it came to weapon-handling, shooting and teaching ... right?:rolleyes:

At the end of the week there were still some instructors working hard trying to pass the basic 'bullseye' marksmanship test from Day One, and there were some difficulties experienced by various instructors when it came to passing the other various courses-of-fire involved during the week. This was an update class (some legal updates), and a refresher for both shooting and teaching skills, as well as reviewing how different tactics were taught.

I remember at least one guy didn't pass the basic bullseye by the end of the class, so he didn't get a certificate. The part I found really dismaying was that the basic bullseye test was something that would've ordinarily sent someone home on the first day if they couldn't pass it at a basic instructor class ... and these were working instructors from agencies, who had already attended basic instructor classes.:eek: I recall being surprised that only a few of us easily passed it the first time, the first day of that Update class. I'd expected that any working instructor would've sailed through that basic test of marksmanship without it even being considered a warmup. Sigh.

Of course, even finding good instructors nowadays may still be a daunting concern for folks who will be investing their hard-earned money, and giving up their personal/family time to attend classes. Then, there's always the concern that some inevitable 'lowest common denominator' student will drag down an entire class.

Same old, same old.