Defense Load for NAA .22 Magnum with 1 5/8 Barrel?

Para Bellum

High Folks,

title says all really. Some velcity data is to be found here: http://www.naaminis.com/magvel.html

So, what would you choose?

At the moment I carry 50grainers from Federal. I suppose the higher weigt would bring more penetration (not tested myself yet). And I guess penetration is all a .22 Mag from a 1 5/8 barrel can deliver, right? (or not?)

Stay safe and sound,
PB

Manco

The range of velocities with 40 grain bullets corresponds roughly to that of standard- and high-velocity 40 grain .22 LR loads when shot out of a 4" revolver barrel, and terminal performance should therefore be similar. Roughly speaking, you'll likely just meet the usual minimum penetration standard of 12" with non-expanding bullets, so you'll want the most powerful, penetrative loads you can find.

The Federal 50 grain JHP load listed on NAA's page has greater momentum than the Federal 40 grain loads, and nearly as much momentum as the more powerful Winchester Super-X 40 grain FMJ load--with bullet weight somewhat more effective than velocity regarding penetration (separating the two components of momentum here), I'd say that these two loads are approximately equivalent in performance. I think that JHP rounds in this caliber and at these velocities are extremely unlikely to expand at all, and I generally prefer heavier bullets with higher sectional density, so I'd probably lean toward the Federal 50 grain load, personally, especially if there is a FMJ version. On the other hand, perhaps a solid FMJ round, despite being a bit lighter at 40 grains, would hold together better when penetrating bone and other tough materials. At these velocities, I doubt that it's a big issue, but I can't be sure without seeing actual test results. Go with whichever makes you feel more comfortable, for whatever reason, as they'll likely perform similarly overall, and surprisingly well considering the limitations of the weapon.

2cooltoolz

I think the trick with rimfires is reliability. I shoot .22's a lot and IMO CCI's are the most reliable out there. For the magnum, out of short barrel, the 30 grain CCI (+V) has the highest energy, but I'm still tilted toward the 30% heavier bullet in the 40 grain. But then I like the 230 gr .45s :D.

I have recently started to carry my NAA again as a bug, and I carry the CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr.

Last edited:

Landric

I carry the CCI Maxi-Mag +V 30 grain JHP in my 1 1/8" NAA, but I mostly selected that load because it was what I could find made by CCI at the time. My preference for rimfire ammunition is CCI when it comes to anything more than just plinking.

I really think it all comes down to six one, half dozen the other. No .22 Magnum is the Hammer of Thor, especially out of a NAA Mini. If its reliable, available, and shoots basically point of aim at close range, its probably a good choice. "Stopping Power" is mostly about shot placement anyway, along with a bunch of factors that cannot be controlled by ammunition selection.

wnycollector

I have settled upon Armscor's 40gr jacketed soft point for my 1 1/8" convertible NAA mini mag. I chronographed it an average 924fps and 76ft/lbs of energy. I also clocked the CCI 40gr maxi-mag 40gr TMJ at 927fps. Both shoot very well in my pistol (all 5 shots in the A/C zones on an ISPC target at 12 yards). The Armscor loading gets the nod, since the soft point has a (slight) chance of expanding if push comes to shove. If it does not expand, I'm pretty sure it will penetrate similarly to the CCI TMJ (16" in ballistic gel) since their velocities are so comparable.

bikerbill

I have an NAA Pug; in a magazine test I read on the gun, it said the CCI Maxi-Mag TNT 30 gr. loads, with Gold Dot technology JHPs, were the only rounds to consistently expand in normal test media ... it's what I carry in the Pug, which is mainly my dog-walking anti-skunk weapon of choice ... at the range, they are quite accurate out to about 7 yards, at which point I pretty much lose faith in a weapon with a one-inch barrel ...

Pezo

I find heavier bullets do provide better penetration at least in a phone book. I also found that using thin copper plated bullets over thicker jacketed ones can deliver asymmetrical expansion by deformation . The thicker the jacket the less the bullet will deform. I carry and have had good luck with winchester dyna pointes. Edited to say I have gotten these rounds to deform-expand to .38 cal approx.

Manco

Landric said:
"Stopping Power" is mostly about shot placement anyway, along with a bunch of factors that cannot be controlled by ammunition selection.

True, but penetration is what enables shot placement, and it is a factor that you can control--at least on an average, statistical basis--by ammunition selection.

wnycollector said:
The Armscor loading gets the nod, since the soft point has a (slight) chance of expanding if push comes to shove.

If it expands at all, then it may underpenetrate, which would reduce its overall effectiveness. It may also be less effective in penetrating bone.

wnycollector said:
If it does not expand, I'm pretty sure it will penetrate similarly to the CCI TMJ (16" in ballistic gel) since their velocities are so comparable.

The Brass Fetcher page referenced earlier in this thread only showed an estimated 12.5+" penetration depth, for some reason. In this specific case, the gelatin was probably too soft and/or warm, so 16" (the full depth of the block) only came out to 12.5" once the calibration error had been taken into account. Based on external ballistics and the basic similarity between the rounds tested, I doubt that the 40 grain CCI TMJ would have penetrated much more than that.

bikerbill said:
I have an NAA Pug; in a magazine test I read on the gun, it said the CCI Maxi-Mag TNT 30 gr. loads, with Gold Dot technology JHPs, were the only rounds to consistently expand in normal test media

I've never seen .22 Gold Dot bullets expand in ballistic gelatin at anything less than rifle velocities, and it's just as well, otherwise their penetration would suffer.

38snapcaps

All the information you are looking for has been compiled by a guy that goes by "naalover". Find his blog at the North American Arms website under the forum heading "Tell us your story" and then NAA Products.

lefteyedom

a Red brick

I had a friend in Germany who carried a brick in his jacket pocket. Yes a red brick ever where he went. Maybe he was a little nuts but I would say that he was better armed with that brick than someone with a NAA mini flea shooter.

Just know what you got, what it can and more importantly can not do.

Para Bellum

feel free to volunteer for catching a round from a 1 5/8 NAA .22 Mag with your nose at 9ft distance in a country where this won't be a problem...

napg19

I agree with Para Bellum. Had prostrate surgery 11 days ago. Last night was my first good long walk around the apt. comlpex. Pants and a belt are too rough to wear but my naa .22 mag. 1 5/8 in my pajama pocket was very light in my pocket. The SP101 had to stay at home. I use Remington premier magnum 33 gr. ACCUTIP-V. I've only shot them at paper. IMO, better than nothing.:)

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Is it to late to mount a bayonet on it? Seriously, most any 22 fired from close range will have the power to break bone and penetrate into boogerman unless you are using hollow points. You are over thinking the problem.

Hope your surgery was successful napG19

Had that done a couple weeks ago myself.

I worked with a guy that had a little slaughter house on his farm. Always used a single shot rifle with 22 shorts to kill cattle. One evening he was set to kill a steer, and his brother came driving up in his truck. Brother jumped out and said "Hey! Let me kill that steer with my 45." He shot that steer in the forehead twice with a 45 long colt and both shots ricocheted off....sounded like an old western movie:eek:. Old Jim got out his single shot rifle and did the steer in with a 22 short.

The idea you have to have a 44 mag to stop a bad guy is a bit far fetched, IMO. If you can place a shot farily consistently under duress, a 22 mag is a heck of alot better than a brick.

Nakanokalronin

Use whatever ammo you can find. Its not like expansion is of any importance here with a 22 magnum. Best ammo I would suggest is something in .380 or up. The argument of "I wouldn't want to get shot by it" or "How about you volunteer to get shot by it" to people saying its not an adequate round is ridiculous. I wouldn't want to get shot by a BB gun or a slingshot but I'm sure not going to carry either for self defense. :rolleyes:

Did someone say bayonet?
LaserLyte-NAA-Pistol-Bayonet-2.jpg