• DAO: includes SIG DAK and H&K LEM

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • DA Revolver

Votes: 17 13.6%

• Total voters

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
blades67,

There are only two times the fingers move while firing a P7. The first is when the cocking lever is engaged enabling the gun to be fired and the second is when the lever is released thereby rendering the pistol safe.

We were actually discussing what HK (in later owner's manuals) describes as the P7's "double action" mode. Next time you get your hands on one, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear, then squeeze the squeezer. Note what happens. :)

Brian D.

So by this poll's criteria, would the HK VP70 be considered an "octuple" action only, since it's about four times as heavy as a DAO, and 8x the trigger pull of a single action? :p (Tamara, that one was for you!)
Not to get hung up on the P-7, but the loudishschlack schlack sound of the squeezer being operated bothers me way more than the feel of the arrangement in use. Hate to do a room/building search with one of those noisemakers.
Anyhow, I voted single action as in 1911/BHP.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Not to get hung up on the P-7, but the loudishschlack schlack sound of the squeezer being operated bothers me way more than the feel of the arrangement in use. Hate to do a room/building search with one of those noisemakers.

Why would you squeeze (or release it) other than immediately preparatory to (or immediately after) firing? The "noisy" complaint strikes me as scraping the bottom of the barrel to dredge up dislikes. :eek:

Also, squeezing a P7's frontstrap is hardly noisier than flicking the safety off on most guns; it's only releasing it that's loud...

Bob Thompson

Back to the original question for a minute. I prefer "for a defense gun" the Glock system. I like its safety features and its speed. Its a pull and shoot and return to holster system just like a revolver but in the case of my Glock 30 a ten round .45. Its reliable and I find its 5# trigger pull completely satisfactory for shooting accurately to 25 yards which usually isn't needed for defensive shots. I also much prefer a single action revolver for any kind of accurate shooting at any range, especially out to 200 yards from a rest. Much fun popping baloons at that distance. One other system I like is the Para Ordnance LDA system. Smoothest DA only action on the market. For me and in the case of defense "fast and reliable" & "point and shoot" Let the flames begin.

Handy

Like Tam said. The P7 doesn't decock any louder than any other decocking gun. You wouldn't walk around cocking and decocking a Sig, either.

Bob, I'd also put the LDA in the category with the Glock. The LDAs mainspring is cocked, just the hammer isn't. This manipulation of trigger trigger pressure with prestressed springs really just makes functional single actions out of guns with long trigger pulls.

Brian D.

"Schlack!"

I mentioned the sound of the squeezecocker mechanism based on an incident in my area where the noise of letting it out almost got an LE type killed. Wasn't there, dunno all the particulars, but according to a pal of mine on that agency it did happen, and was one reason their dept. went to another duty sidearm.
Thought that made the noise issue worth a mention, but maybe life safety is just me "scraping" or "dredging" too hard, hmm?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Brian D.,

Thought that made the noise issue worth a mention, but maybe life safety is just me "scraping" or "dredging" too hard, hmm?

No, but it does raise questions as to why a supposedly well-trained officer was squeezing and releasing the lever at inappropriate times. That lone incident also seems a mite odd to use as the basis for a departmental firearms switch. :confused:

Old LEO joke follows:

Have you heard how to tell the difference between fairy tales and cop stories? Fairy tales start out "Once upon a time...", while cop stories start out "No $#!~, this really happened..." ;)

Gewehr98

Depends on what I'm packing on a given day...

Kahr K-9 - DAO?

Caspian Officer's ACP - SA

S&W M696 - DA defensive, SA target

Handy

Yup, sounds like the cop wasn't employing his P7 correctly. We could certainly build a list of other firearms users doing the same.

I understand that one PD recently switched from Berettas to the "safer" Glock. :D

Brian D.

Tamara:

I dunno if the officer was "squeezing and releasing the lever at inappropriate times", and for that matter you don't either. And as said previously, that lone incident wasn't the only reason they switched guns, if my "snitch" is correct.
(Funny how these things work. One agency's chief in this region insisted that all the dept.'s shotguns be fitted with pistol grip [no]stocks. Apparently as a patrol officer he'd once made a lucky hit on a BG with such a weapon, and was unswerving in his belief that this set-up was "da bomb".)
So obviously my mind's not completely made up about the P-7 being too noisy, but I brought it to the table as food for thought. Now I'll move onto other threads, and see whether you can resist getting in the last word with me! :p

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Brian D.,

I dunno if the officer was "squeezing and releasing the lever at inappropriate times", and for that matter you don't either.

I can categorically state that if his releasing the lever got him killed, he released it at an inappropriate time. ;)

Tom2

Hey, double naught....

I had a question about something I thought M. Ayoob had said so I went to the LFI website and got his e mail address. Not only did he address what I was asking, he gave CASE REFERENCES. Might want to try him before you flame him.

joplin

I carry an H&K USP 40 Compact in the variant 1(DA/SA with decocker). If you practice the safety will become second nature. Anytime my weapon comes out of the holster the safety is off before my weapon arrives at the point. It is a very dependable weapon, accuracy is awesome. And for concealed carry I like the fact that I can carry cocked and locked, and also the external safety is a must. I dont want an accidental discharge for any reason. The best weapon is the one that you feel the most comfortable with and shoot the best with. I have seen so many guys come out to the range with their ccw guns and they jam every other shot, I cannot imagine what they are thinking. Remember when you buy a handgun for personal defense it has to work everytime or its no good. Go with something that has a good reputaion for dependabilty. That won't mean that you won't get lemons but it will narrow the field when looking for that perfect gun.

Good Luck! :)