dedicated vehicle long gun?

KyJim

I don't have one. I have thought of getting a Kel-tec Sub 2000 in 9mm because it is very compact when folded. It would give added accuracy and some extra umpf to the 9mm, enough for any realistic scenario I can imagine in my area (human predators mostly). Velocity in a +P round would be similar to an M1 carbine in similar weight bullets. Ammo prices would be less.

jimbob86

"Truck Gun"?

Unless you have a secure, temperature controlled garage, it is a bad idea.

On the security front, I would not leave a firearm out there for Sumdood with an automatic center punch to walk off with ....... YMMV.

Around here, temps in vehichles outside fluctuate wildly- well above 140 degrees in summer, down below zero some days in winter, with the humidity swinging that wildly as well ...not great for ammo storage. Garages are not much better. As a general rule, if I am not comfortable, the ammo probably is not comfy, either.

KyJim

When I'm talking about using a "vehicle gun," it is with the idea of routinely taking it in and out of the vehicle in a discrete bag or case of some type (which is another reason the Kel-tec is appealing). On occasion, I might just not take it in the vehicle. So, I don't know if that would qualify as a vehicle gun or not.

Prof Young

Rossi with two barrels

Truck Owners:

During the summer months (cause that's when I drive the truck) there are three guns in my truck. A pump up pellet pistol, a single pump pellet rifle, and a Rossi single shot long gun with a 410 barrel and a 22LR barrel. All are in cases behind the seat with ammo in the glove box. I've probably killed more game with those three guns than anything save for maybe my 410 pump that I squirrel hunt with. Truck stays locked when I am not in it and the Rossi has a trigger lock engaged.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

WeedWacker

When possible/legal I try to have a "get home" kit in my trunk. Sometimes it includes a carbine, either my SGL-31 or an AR15 carbine. Sometimes it's just spare clothes and a mag pouch with extra loaded mags. Depends on where and how far away I am traveling.

ThomasT

I carry a Glenfield model 75C (marlin 60 with a 16" barrel) and a pill bottle with 100 22 rounds in it between the folded rear seat of my truck. Plus an S&W model 65 by me at all times.

I have carried a gun in my truck legal or not ever since I saw that trucker get drug out of his truck and hit in the head with a brick during the L.A. riots. They might get me but it will be after the fight.

I have also carried a 30-30, 357 marlin, a rossi 357 and a couple of different shotguns. Each one made me feel safer. A ruger single six got me out of a very bad situation once. I was damn glad I had it with me.