dedicated vehicle long gun?

9ballbilly

Do any of you folks have a rifle/ shotgun dedicated to your vehicle?
What I mean is; Do you have a long gun that's always in your car or truck.

If so, how do you secure it? where do you keep ammo for it?

sDot

I keep thinking about it. I was maybe going to go for one of those Chiappa Little Badgers or maybe a single shot 12ga. Something nice and compact. Something tells me though, even though it's legal, it will be a pain in the ass. Too many cops don't know the law and are looking for excuses to make you not have a very good time.

Nine the Ranger

If I were to have one, it'd be something inexpensive, simple, and sonething I'm not overly attached to.

Probably a single shot shotgun or rifle, maybe an inexpensive used lever action rifle.

ClydeFrog

No....

The most I could see is maybe a Serbu Shorty 20ga(left hand 870), www.SerbuFirearms.com .
Or a SIG Sauer MPX short barrel SMG in .357sig or a FN P90 5.7mm.

The problems are portability & noise(blast) in a confined space. :eek:

Clyde

9ballbilly

I didn't mean for SD. Sorry I forgot to put that in the OP.
What I meant mostly was for unexpected hunting opportunities.
Feral hogs mostly. Definitely not shooting from inside the truck.

grizz223

I keep a AR15 and six loaded mags in the trunk . But I'm a Deputy and expected to advance to the sounds of the shooting if their were some kind of mass shooting on duty or off . I would rather do it with a AR than a pistol if that were to happen.

MTT TL

Varies. I normally keep a Remington 7400 with a scope in .30-06 in the trunk. Accurate, cheap gun good enough to go through most light armor. Not good for a prolonged fight though. It is secured with a gun locking system.

With the new job I think I am going to upgrade to a AR-10 soon though.

Other guns I have used at various times that I think work well:

- SKS
- Enfield jungle carbine

Polinese

I usually have a savage 308 in the trunk along with a small backpack with ammo, emergency supplies etc. I have a separate bag for car specific things like road flares, kitty litter etc.

rlc323

Savage model 24 that is older than I am. Dad was a rural mail carrier and always had it in the truck with him.

Most dangerous thing ever dispatched with the .410 bottom barrel was a rabid skunk that refused to move from the gravel road in broad daylight.

Ben Towe

I keep whatever I think I might want that day, sometimes my AR, sometimes a Remington XR-100 in .22-250, sometimes nothing but my sidearm.

jtmckinney

My Stepfather retired as a district manager for "Predatory Animal Control" mostly in central Texas back in the early 90's. He always had a Remington 25-06 in his work vehical that easily took more game, varmits and hogs than any other rifle I am aware of. In his line of work he sometimes needed something that would "Reach Out There".

My situation living in the suburbs of the DFW area is very different. I don't keep a long gun in my pickup but if I was to start doing so I guess I would choose my High Point 45ACP carbine. Bought this gun to be a shooter and beater and within the ranges I would most likely be shooting I am thinking it would get the job done.

Have a great day!
James

bamaranger

truck gun

Nothing in the wifes sedan, but my pick up or Bronco will have a long gun almost always. Typically it will be in a soft case, either behind the seat, or it can tuck nicely beneath the rear seat of the SUV.

For quite awhile, I kept a Marlin '94/.357 and a ctg belt that way. Take it out, wipe it down, run a pull thru in the bore now and again.

For a while I went commando, and kept a beater AK and 4 mags. Figured the fall out from that in an incident would be monumental....so I went back to something more sedate.

As a fan of the "scout rifle", I currently go with a Savage Scout .308, , with a simple elastic ammo cuff on the rifle. A cheap cartridge box, the kind with a flap that holds the factory box liner, keeps twenty more rounds. I run a piece of paracord thru the keepers and suspend that off the headrest, behind the seat, if things were really ugly, I could pull that off and slip it around my neck.

The great evil has not happened, but I feel OK if it does. In the meantime, coyotes, feral's, fence posts, ....had better watch out.

The short Mossberg MVP would be another good candidate as a truck rifle.

Nite Ryder

I keep a Benelli Nova Shotgun (12 Ga Pump) in my pickup all the time. It hangs in a scabbard in the back seat area. Shell holders are located in the same area, one for slugs, the other for double ought buck shot.

USMC 77-81

Kel Tec SU 16. 10 rounder in the mag well, butt stock holds 2 more 10 round or 1 20 round mag. For those who aren't familiar with the gun, it takes standard AR mags. Easily shoots minute of varmint at 200 yards, folds in half, is lite weight, durable, and has lots of cool appeal. Remains behind the back seat of my F-350 365 days per year.

Colt46

I own a Honda Civic

When I go to the family cabin in the National Forest near Yosemite I stow my '92 Rossi carbine in the trunk. Short, thin profile, stainless finish. What's not to like?

osirus82

I don't have anything in my daily driver. But I usually have most of my guns in my trunk when i go camping/hunting.

If i lived in the country I would consider something like a mossberg MVP- or a sub 2k .40