• Bolt Open with Clip in

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Bolt Closed

Votes: 41 82.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spats McGee

Administrator
I'd go with closed bolt. Open, with no bullets might look OK, but I prefer closed, and open will allow dust to get in. That's my vote, and it's based purely on aesthetics (sp?).

As for ammo, obviously, with closed bolt, you don't need any. If you go with open, and some ammo, I'd also go with something non-functioning. I know you're tired of hearing about it, 5whiskey, but if that rifle's going to be on the wall, looking like a decoration, it should act like a decoration. "They're little & could never possibly get to it" is a phrase with huge potential to become Famous Last Words. Kids grow up, and they have an unerring sense of their duty to get into all the stuff we tell 'em not to.

USAF_Vet

Bolt closed. That's my personal preference, and that is how I plan to display my Type 38 Arisaka when I get it.

Glenn E. Meyer

If one asks a question here - don't expect the situation won't be totally analyzed. This is the internet!

You can't control it. Safety concerns makes me go with dummy ammo if it is a display and not a good to go weapon.

Never know when the wife will get on a chair and come for YOU!

5whiskey

Never know when the wife will get on a chair and come for YOU!

Hmmm.... maybe that's why she suggested it:D

Safety concerns makes me go with dummy ammo if it is a display and not a good to go weapon.

Actually, it was semi intended as a good grab gun when I see bambi from the back deck (with remington loads and not romanian surplus, of course). Before anyone asks whether I can safely shoot from my back deck, the answer is yes:rolleyes:

44 AMP

Staff
Open looks better.

Closed is better for storage, to keep crud out. I don't know your cleaning schedule, but where I am its dusty, and an open action is an invitation.

For safety (and I know, you already heard it) the rifle should be fixed to the wall. First of all, you don't want it to fall and get damaged. Second, with a functional rifle and ammo just hanging there, someone you don't want to get it, can.

Dummy ammo is a good idea. Rendering the rifle inoperable (replace firing pin with a shortened one) is a good idea, although at odds with what you want.

Check your local laws, carefully, too. While the odds are against it, an unsecured "loaded" firearm in a house with (gasp!:eek:) children might make you legally liable, should something happen.

Eagle0711

In addition to the reasons explained, the firing pin spring under a load for a long period would bother me, but that's just me. Best,Lyle