How would you display it?

• Bolt Open with Clip in

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Bolt Closed

Votes: 41 82.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5whiskey

So, my lovely wife actually loved the idea of hanging the ol' mauser over the entrance in our bedroom. It really fits with the theme of the room quite well, but I can't decide if I want it with a closed bolt or open bolt with a clip in. What do you think?

MayJuneJuly002.jpg

MayJuneJuly001.jpg

hooligan1

I like both but, Are there any kids in the house if so,(neices and nephews definately count) close the bolt with no ammo around,,, If no kids around ever I really like the ammo half in an open bolt, it's unique. Most of us lockem up and look at them through the glass;)

5whiskey

I have very small girls and I have a few years before I have to worry about them getting a hold of it. Reaching 7.5' in the air and lifting it off the hooks would be no easier for them than breaking the 1/8" pane of glass you find in many gun cabinets ;)

At any rate, my wife is telling me to check myself and remind everyone that hanging the rifle there was her idea.

ChrisWNY

I wouldn't hang it with live ammo in there, if someone ever broke into your place while you were out of town and just happened to be a crazed lunatic, it would be pretty easy for a loon to lift the mauser off the wall and do some real damage with it. Don't get me wrong, it looks great on the wall with the bolt open and the clip exposed (I like the dummy ammo idea), but I think it's a good idea to keep the firearms and ammo separated in locations that are only known by you and your wife. Your little girls might be too small to reach or climb 7.5', but don't doubt their abilities, they could accidentally throw something at it and knock it down, then you'd be dealing with a potentially grave situation. I have a 1 yr old son and another on the way, and honestly I think things will be better off if they never know that I have firearms in the house, so everything stays locked up inside an electronic safe. ;)

Last edited:

Mal H

Staff
Normally, I wouldn't tell anyone their business when it comes to being a parent, but ...
I have very small girls and I have a few years before I have to worry about them getting a hold of it.
is plain wrong. Kids will find a way - I know that for a fact. The more attractive the forbidden object, the easier it will be for them. Please remove the powder from any unlocked up rounds for the rifle.

Dre_sa

I vote closed bolt, as I like the look of it better.

the lines are just cleaner with it closed i think.

I vote closed bolt, as I like the look of it better.

As do I.

I also second what was said about using some dummy rounds instead of live ammo. Get a reloader friend to seat some bullets into some unprimed empty cases for you. In fact, they don't even have to be 8mm Mauser -- .308s would look just as good. :cool:

mack59

I would say closed bolt - and with kids if you don't want the possibility of it down - then fasten it so it is lockable in the hooks -easy to do. I only say that because being one of four sons and having five kids - that kids will use steps - chairs, boxes, etc... and will find ways to reach what they want to reach - they come prepackaged smart, creative, and curious.

When I was two to three - I allegedly took a stepstool from the laundry room to the kitchen - put a book on the top step allowing me to get up on the counter, then took a large pot from the bottom shelves and put it upside down on the counter and standing on it was supposedly able to reach some cookies on the top shelf of the upper cabinets. I say this is all alleged as the evidence was circumstantial even if they did find the empty cookie container in my room.

On the other hand none of us kids ever messed with dad's unlocked guns growing up - we knew better and knew that there were lines you didn't cross.

357 Python

My vote is closed bolt. With the bolt closed there is less chance of airborne dirt, dust, and debris getting in there and gumming it up. If you choose to go open bolt the idea of dummy rounds is sensible. Dont leave live ammo in the gun like that for a burglar to use against you, your family, or someone else. It would be easy for an attorney to claim that you were responsible for providing not only the gun but also the ammo that was used to take some innocent victim's life if it were used outside your home by a burglar.

5whiskey

You know what, that wasn't the question but I'll happily seat some dummy ammo if it'll get the voting back on track. I think everyone now is voting based on the "safety" aspect of it, even though you don't know the details of the situation, but that's fine. All I request is a comment/vote on the aesthetics. What do you think LOOKS better.

jgcoastie

I think closed looks better. As another poster said; the lines just look cleaner that way.

If you want to dress it up a bit, you could try to find some associated memorabilia from that era and put it all in a shadowbox. Check your local flea markets and thrift stores for bandoleers, helmet, bayonet, service/unit patches and the like...

hooligan1

5 wiskey just send it to me, heck it'll look real sweet in my guncase!!! Also I like the ammo look, But for real it's tacky for a bedroom!! I'm just being real.:eek: Tell the wife for me no disrespect intended but after I look at it and look at it it's way too lonesome up there to look cool, I don't know if some memorabilia wouldn't help. It should reign supreme in the MAN CAVE!!! you do have a man cave don't you?:rolleyes:

vanman1

Closed. It looks cleaner. Plus if someone gets mad and slams the door, you won't have ammo flying around. It would be bad enough having the rifle smacking your head. I'm just saying.

5whiskey

wow, all I asked is how it looked... I would not and will not disable the rifle because it's hanging in display.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I like the ammo and clip view... and if live ammo is what you choose, COOL WITH ME!!!! Anyone in my home will see several long arms visible and all are loaded... hold on... lemme check... YEP!!! Just as I thought, I forgot to reload the .22 squirrel killer...

Brent

Sefner

If it were in my house I'd have it with the bolt open/clip in just because I think that displays more of the history and story of the firearm. I'd hang up any other accessories next to it. I think with the bolt closed the firearm looks more like just another decoration on the wall. It does LOOK better, but I don't think it's doing the firearm any justice. Would be like hanging a Mosin on the wall without the bayonet on it. Having the "unclean" lines of the bolt open and clip in draw the eye abruptly to it and made it much more of a noticeable and memorable piece rather than just something else on the wall. I won't vote because OP wants us to vote totally on the aesthetics, so I'll let him interpret my opinion towards whichever option best suits his question.

Example, should I hang my Mosin on the wall, I'd hang it with the bolt exposed, stripper in, bayonet on, strap on, with the cleaning kit, ammo pouches, and bolt cloth right next to it. Because it's such a ubiquitous firearm and historical piece, it almost needs to have all the issued accessories with ti.