Deals at garage sales you have found ??

Pahoo

Well, not sure where this is going to go but it is gun related. The main point I want to make here, is that once in awhile you can find great guns/stuff deals at Garage sales but not limited to just them. Deals can be had at auctions and flea markets. I'm sure we have all run into these and perhaps you could share them with us. I will start with some of mine;

WW-II German sniper scope - $1.00
WW-II German Map pouch complete with compass & Mileage measure,$5.00
3-Boxes of .38Special for $3.00 a box
300-rnds of factory 3006 for $8.00
870 Express in very good shape - $80.00

Be Safe !!!

Gunplummer

6-9 Arisakas all $75.00 or under
2-3 Mausers under $100.00
Miscellaneous guns taken apart, in boxes, 25.00 and under
1 box of .22 Hi-Power, Win. original, $1.00

SVO

Estate Sale back in the days of the national assault weapon ban buying panic - Mini 14, unfired & new in the box, $200 take it or leave it. Only firearm for sale I saw there.

aarondhgraham

It was way back when,,,

But in 1964 I bought a Winchester Pump, model 189?, maybe 1898, chambered in .22 short,,,
For $5.00 cash money.

When I went to the U.S.A.F in 1970 I gave it to my kid brother,,,
Several years ago he traded it straight across for a late 1970's Fender Stratocaster.

Good investment all around I would say.

Pahoo

Then again;

A Marbles hunting knife, dirty but in good shape. The sheith was still good. Paid $2.00 off the tool table.

Fifteen years ago, I bought about 12 bricks of .22 for $3.00 a brick. these were Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles. Some of the bricks were old and wound up selling one of the Short bricks, to an ammo dealer, for $80.00. There is never any thought to finding this stuff and some newspapers won't let folks advertise firearms or ammo. Just won't know until you go. ;)

Be Safe !!!

fastforty

A LNIB Colt Woodsman for $100.

A decent older Savage .22 rifle (which grampa had removed the firing pin to keep kiddos safe) for $10.

4 boxes of 20ga magnum, steel shot for $3/box.

A pair of the ugliest lamps you'd ever see for $15. Turned out to be made out of fire nozzles coveted by collectors, sold on ebay for almost $400, financed new gun purchase.

Numerous ammo cans for .50 to $3

Several nice rifle cases for $1-$5.

Edited to add:
Our local propane delivery truck driver knows *everyone* in the county & likes to jaw while the tank is filling. If this thread gets to be 100 pages long it still wouldn't put a dent in the stuff he has scored. Hate to see him coming, LOL.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Best one I ever heard of, a friend bought an "old army rifle" for $40. On the table next to it was a .22LR for $100.

The old army rifle was a 1903 Springfield, in excellent original condition!:D

kraigwy

Greatest thing I've found at a garage sale was this book on WWI. It goes with a 75 MM shell my stepdaughter gave me.

More info is posted here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4048860#post4048860

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/m16sinvietnam/websize/GEDC2159.JPG

When I got home, I found a crushed Poppy inside.

GEDC2159.JPG

GEDC2158.JPG

dropthehammer

About 10 years ago, I walked into a sale one morning and two 70+ year old gentlemen were haggling on a Winchester Model 12-12ga. The seller was holding firm on the $100 price, saying the gun had never been fired. The potential buyer was saying the gun didn't cost that new, and was offering $50 It actually got a little heated. When the potential buyer walked away, I handed the owner a $100 bill. The owner then proceeded to tell me about his favorite hunting gun, a 16ga. Winchester 97, and asked if I was interested in it for $100. When he brought it out of the house, he told me that although it was a little worn, he was firm on the $100, because it was his favorite and he didn't care if he sold it or not. Told him I understood and handed him another $100 bill, thanked him, and headed for the truck. I have gotten alot of great buys at sales, but this one sticks in my head because I really thought those two older gentlemen were going to fight. It was hilarious.

44 AMP

Staff
I forgot this one...

I once found the little square scope that goes on the FG 42 for $5! Not sure what its worth, but I'm pretty sure its more than $5!;)

07pats

An absolutely unfired WWII Colt GI 1911, in original box, original papers, still with the wax paper around it - Old woman who's husband had died years prior and she had sold there house and was selling stuff out of his safe along with all kinds of other household paraphernalia in a garage sale.

I won't tell you what I paid, nor will I ever tell you what I sold it for, suffice to say the two numbers were worlds apart.:D:D:D