Deal or No Deal?

P5 Guy

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5677455#post5677455

I've been kicking around the idea of divesting myself of my 9mm Glocks for S&W M&P 9mm.
Everyone knows Glocks especially the 9mms are Gaston's Perfection, but like many I'm attracted to new and improved.
S&W Military & Police line and the Shield are calling to me and I was thinking that I'd sell my Glocks to fund the purchase of the Smiths.
If any of you would like, share your opinions with me. And no I'm not interested in owning both, sorry. I'm of the man that only owns one gun knows best how to use said gun school of thought.

southjk

I've got a full size M&P Pro 9mm and the Shield 9mm and have been really happy with them. I've never owned a Glock but I have shot one and while I shot well with it I didn't like the feel of it as much. The S&W's just fit me better. Good luck with your decision.

The only reason why I prefer my Glock's to my M&P, is the trigger modifications from the factory are amazing in comparison. No need to buy APEX or LoneWolf..etc etc. Glock factory parts are cheapest and easy to install. Parts are easier to find. Magazines, you name it. The reset of the M&P is non-existent audibly and you cannot even feel it unless you invest in the APEX kit which is $99 from what I've seen. I'd stick to the Glock still. It'd take me a lot to switch over fully to the M&P.

pilpens

I have an M&P and Glock 34. Both are less than 1 year old.
Both triggers have been tweaked with after market parts and some stoning in key areas:
M&P -- Apex Sear + Apex Firing pin block + some stoning of the Apex Sear.
Glock 34 -- LWD 3.5 connector + 25 cent polish + Trigger bar stoning + reduced power striker spring + KKM barrel for my reloads + dawson sights.

I think I have the triggers set up the best they can be without sending them to professional gunsmiths for expensive trigger jobs (as close as I can get them to a glass rod break).

As it stands, the Glock trigger feels better than the M&P; the trigger break is more predictable on the Glock.
Also, my grip seems to be more secure and consistent with the Glock than the M&P; somehow, the M&P feels more comfortable in the hand when not shooting but feels less secure when shooting.

If I had to choose only one --- Glock.

Sevens

If any of you would like, share your opinions with me.
Keep in mind that you said this ^ if it so happens you don't agree with my ideas. Also keep in mind that I decide what works for me and I merely offer opinions in conversations to others, and I wouldn't pretend to suggest what "will" work for them, only what occurs to me. ;)

I don't like polymer/tupperware. I'm a handgunner and long time enthusiast, and I was long before I carried concealed for the purpose of defense. Carrying concealed is a large part of my life and a daily thing, but at my core, I'm not a "guy who carries defensively" as much as I am a hobbyist handgunner.

Bottom line is that I don't really want to own Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, FN's, or any other polymer plastic tupperware "tools" even if I can easily accept that they are FANTASTIC tools for the job.

So then, as a result of that line of thought... I own two polymer guns.

My EDC, which is a Glock 29, and an older Ruger P-95. The G29 is my daily carry and the P-95 specifically fills the role of "gun to be left in the car to be stolen when I must go somewhere I know I cannot legally carry", most often to a sporting event or thing of that nature, where I know the gun left in the car is a target for theft.

I like my Glock 29 and have a HEAP of respect for it. I practice with it regularly and it's eaten a round count approaching five thousand with no failures I didn't induce on purpose. I can hit -well- with it, though I cannot shoot groups quite as tight as with some of my favorite pistols.

I don't like the Glock "hump" on the back strap, but I can work around it. I count on this pistol in the role that it fills and as a tool, I can say that I "love it" but I have no hardcore emotion attachment to it that I have with many of my favorite handguns.

My point? It's a daily carry and I have a lot of practice with it and confidence in it. And I hope that I never, ever own another one. Not a Glock, M&P, XD, or _________, if it's a tupperware carry/duty/defense handgun.

That is what works for me. One gun for carry, ZERO desire to carry ANY of my other guns, of which I have a few. Those guns I enjoy a -LOT- and shoot an almost irrational amount compared to the average gun owner. (95% of us in here are NOT the average gun owner... ;))

LockedBreech

I will say that the few hundred rounds I've had with the full-size M&P 40 were very impressive. I've shot about a dozen firearms chambered in .40 S&W, and the M&P along with my PX4 and the Sig 229 are the ones that felt the most in control of the cartridge. Minimal/no snappiness.

Have not tried the other calibers though.

horselips

If I found myself the unfortunate owner of a Glock, any Glock, I would be happy to trade it for anything anyone cared to offer me for it. Naturally, I would hope to get another firearm, or money, but lacking that, take anything you can get. To get out of a Glock, I'd even consider taking poison ivy, malaria, or a curable venereal disease.

Can you tell I hate Glocks?

KMAX

If I found myself the unfortunate owner of a Glock, any Glock, I would be happy to trade it for anything anyone cared to offer me for it. Naturally, I would hope to get another firearm, or money, but lacking that, take anything you can get. To get out of a Glock, I'd even consider taking poison ivy, malaria, or a curable venereal disease.

What are you trying to say? Tell how you really feel.:D

Can you tell I hate Glocks?

lol you mad bro?

P5 Guy

A lot of great information thanks gents.
Yes, I asked for it and I'm happy to hear from one and all.
Any more?

M@p

Go rent or borrow one and try it before you do it.
Me they both great guns and about equal in my book but the m@p feels better in the hand as the glock feels like your
Holding a 2x4 from lowes.

C'mon now. Grown men are saying that a Glock feels like a 2x4..oh jeez. My 5'2 girlfriend and her friends are fine with them.

No gun I've ever picked up has felt uncomfortable in my hands. Regardless, that's not what you should worry about. Shooting it is what matters most.

8MM Mauser

To me:

The M&P feels somewhat more comfortable in my hand, especially with a single hand hold. However, the trigger is so, so bad. I've fired a few of these and handled probably ten different M&P's of various caliber over the last few years and I just don't shoot them well, because the trigger is a peice of crap. It's gritty and loooooooong. I'm not a super sensitive trigger guy either, I don't mind DA/SA pistols or DA revolvers. I actually kind of like the positive feeling of a long DA trigger, but, out of the box the M&P trigger feels like someone coated the internals with sand. I can't stand it. I was really determined to buy an American made poly-pistol too; but I just couldn't make the M&P work for me. And don't talk to me about installing trigger kits or paying $200 more for a nice trigger; if I'm going to spend more it would be for the excellent but ugly Walther PPQ, whose trigger puts an M&P to shame.

I wanted the M&P to work for me; it jut didn't.

I highly reccomend you shoot the two side by side before making a determination.

The glock may not be quite as natural feeling, and the trigger isn't perfect, but it's better than an M&P.

baddarryl

I had this same conundrum last year when I got my G19 for EDC. I looked at several M&P's, XD's and whatever. I went back to the M&P several times. I almost got it until I picked up a Gen4 19 and it just felt right. Once I factored in all the holsters, mags, mag holders, etc that I had from my G17 it was a no brainier. True, some of the other polymer guns may have felt a little better here and there, but I have been always satisfied by my Glocks and none of them were anymore than slightly more comfy or what ever enough to make me switch.

P5 Guy

My only issue with the Glock is that about 3/4 of the way thru a magazine I start pushing shots to the left, I'm right handed.
Maybe it is the weight change that causes my grip to shift?
:confused:

LockedBreech

Not caring for Glock is logical. The grip angle is not for everyone. The stock sights aren't great for everyone. The chamber support could be better for reloaders.

Actively hating Glock, or really any brand is illogical. It has been heavily proven to be a highly reliable firearm and works very well for a large number of people.

I'll never buy a Taurus because I think they are substandard firearms, but I don't hate them. Hate's a strong word. Save it for things that deserve it.

mes228

M&P

I have a M&P PRO C.O.R.E. in 9mm with a J-Point red dot mounted in the factory pre machined slide. It is a great combo and I have had no problems with the pistol at all. That being said, I carry a Glock 23. Is the M&P as good?
Maybe so. However I do not have the confidence I have in a Gen 3 Glock. I've fired way more than 10k rounds through a variety of Gen 3 Glock's with out a burp of any kind. It's my mental feelings and the confidence I feel in the Glock Gen 3 pistols. Much more than any problem with the M&P pistol. I'm also positive I can out shoot the Glock with the M&P combo. Now that I think about it. Maybe I should carry the M&P more, or the FN, or the Baer, or the............
I really should sell some of these pistols as I can't shoot them all nor carry them.