de-activating the grip safety in a 1911

bradleyart

Pinning with O-Ring (could use Shok Buff)

I know this thread is pretty old, but it comes up high on the Google Search, so I thought I'd share my experience.

There's a great deal of discussion about the merits or demerits of pinning (or otherwise disabling) the grip safety on 1911 pistols. I'm a long time shooter, and I have found that I grip high and sometimes do not fully depress the grip safety. I know that there are some who will suggest that it is due to a poor grip, but in fact, this is quite common among 1911 shooters, even professionals. I figure it's a personal choice about disabling the safety. My other pistols only have one (or zero) safeties, and I've never had an accidental discharge.

So, I started by looking at the options. I discovered several:

1. Install a low-profile safety, which is supposed to help with this problem by better aligning the thumb so that the palm presses the grip safety. I tried this, and it DID help, but still not 100%.

2. Drill the main spring housing and grip safety and install a metal pin. I did not want to permanently modify my weapon, so I chose not to do this.

3. Use a rubber band, inner tube, or other compressive band to hold the grip safety down. I considered this, but it's a bit of an eye sore.

4. Use a piece of compressive material (and friction) to keep the grip safety compressed. I went this route. I cut a small section of automotive O-ring and inserted it between the grip safety and mainspring housing (see photos). Next, I compressed the grip safety with a stiff rubber band, and reassembled the pistol. Getting the mainspring housing back on with the O-ring in place took a little hand strength, but nothing terrible. In the end, it worked GREAT. The grip safety is now completely compressed, and I can shoot without worrying about how I grip the pistol. The automotive O-ring is quite durable, and I don't expect it to degrade or otherwise give me trouble, but if it does, I'll update this post.

A couple of photos show the idea. Sorry that they're not clearer. I hope that this post helps others who are looking for a method to disable their grip safety.

Attachments

• O Ring.jpg
    O Ring.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Back of Pistol.jpg
    Back of Pistol.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 82
One does not want to disable safeties or lighten trigger pulls.

Either can give a civil plaintiff an argument against you in the event of a shooting, deliberate or unintended, and either could harm one's defense in the event of criminal proceedings.

Ideally, you're correct. But you also don't want a defensive weapon that doesn't work reliably, either. My dad had this problem at Gunsite. Couldn't always press the 1911 trigger successfully. It seems to be the shape of the hollow of your palm when you grip the gun that does it. The 1911 preceded modern ergonomics models of human form variance.

g.willikers

I must be one of the lucky ones.
Never a problem.
If it weren't for discussions like this, I'd never know there was one.
With one exception, all my centerfire autoloaders have been 1911s, too.
Thank you Mr. Browning for thinking of me.

HiBC

UncleNick,that is my situation,meaty heel of my hand and a hollow palm.

I can use a military type setup if it has a flat mainspring housing.An arched MH pushes the heel of my hand back.

With a hi-ride beavertail,I need a speed bump grip safety and a flat mainspring housing.

This may be useful to those having problems.