Dangerous Jobs

Glock 31

What job do you work? Does it require a firearm? Do you carry one anyway? Any interesting stories from the grind stones of America?

I work the front desk of a local hotel. From 11p.m. to 7a.m. In a fairly nasty part of town. With four external doors that DON'T LOCK! With at least two hundred dollars in the till at all times. 200 Yards from a bar that closes at 2a.m. Yeah, I carry a gun while I work, in plain view, and beknownst by my boss who doesn't have a problem with it.

How about you guys.:cool:

08Nov05 P.S. Should have mentioned this earlier, I now have two jobs. The hotel one listed above and I deliver for Domino's Pizza Thurs. through Sun. 5p.m. to 10p.m. It's kind of tiring doing two jobs in a one day amount of time but the money is what I need at the moment.

Last edited:

tlm225

Glock 31
I feel for those in your position. People such as yourself, convenience store clerks and cab drivers are in a high risk profession. Numerous customers coming in throughout the shift, anyone of whom may be there for robbery. I commend your employer's authorization for you to carry and your decision to be armed. The discussion of open carry in a situation such as yours has been debated before. For my two cents worth it will either cause crooks to go away or kill without warning.
Stay safe.

porkskin

i work in outside sales in very industrial, shady areas and neighborhoods. however it is always daylight. i often hear about the murders in our area being somewhere i was like a day or two before. my new territory is why i started carrying in the company car. it is against our work policy, but i can find another job faster than replacing my life. i had a buddy in college that worked a hampton inn after hours and got robbed by a woman with a knife and the video was on the news. i was scared of the look in her eyes from my own livingroom.

AMT8951

I work as a cop in a small city in Upstate NY. I always carry off duty, if not on my person, then in my car. However, there are lots of people that I can't belive don't carry. Convenience store clerks, cab drivers, and pizza delivery drivers for example. These guys get assaulted, robbed, or witness violent crimes with disturbing regularity.
A buddy of mine owns a pizza shop on Main St, he had a guy get stabbed to death right on his front stoop a few years ago (in front of his wife and kids none the less) He has a J frame that he only used to carry when making night drops, now he's never without it.

warwagon

Sorry for the job news, but we have the same thing, and the guys can't carry.sounds as if you need to trade up to a better job!
No insult intended, but did you ever consider P.I. work, or bounty hunting? Both can be lucrative.

DasBoot

I was a corporate & advertising photographer in NYC from 1986 to around 1994.
When things were slow, I drove A Yellow Cab, at night, in the 5 boroughs of NY.
Without going into detail, there were NUMEROUS occassions when my little illegal Colt .38 Det. Sp. immediately diffused some sticky situations.
I carried and it was/is illegal.....like I give a damn when I've got to defend myself!
Got my CCL last Sat.!:D
Legal is nice!!!!:cool:

tuckerdog1

Work for an airline, so cannot carry at work. In fact, they have a no questions & no excuses policy, that firearms can't even be in your locked vehicle on company property.
Get caught with one, and you're gone. Can't quit the job, so I just park next door at another airlines lot. Kinda makes their stupid policy lame. I don't think walking the extra 50 yards to the other company's lot would deter me from doing anything with my firearm ( good or bad ), that I'd do if it was just outside the door in their lot.

But I know, it's all a liability dodge.

Tuckerdog1

GLP Standard

I work Security, for a company called Lankford Protective Services. My job isnt necessarily dangerous, but it can be. We have many many clients, and all sites are different. Some require that no women be sent there (which is kind of sexist, yes) some require that you carry a gun, some require that you carry OC Spray and handcuffs...all different.

Right now, I dont carry a gun, but im working on that. Going to the range Friday to take my second and probably last chance at qualifying. Didnt make it my first time, so I hope I make it this Friday. Its 2 days before my birthday, so that would be pretty cool if I made it. Wish me luck!

Anyway...back to the discussion. I think our most dangerous site (that I know of) is probably the Bus Depot in Downtown Greensboro, where everyone is required to carry a firearm. You get a lot of homeless people trying to break into the buses for a place to sleep, lots of people fight down there...etc, etc.

I think some of our sites CAN be as dangerous as a LEO's job. In fact, when we qualify, we are required by PPS (private protective services) to shoot atleast an 80% on the same course that LEO's use, and LEO's only have to shoot a 70%.

I hate to say it, but this company has a lot of fairly useless employees. I think every security company does, and I think its these people that give security a bad name, and this is where all the stereotypes come into play. I think Lankford should really set their requirements a little bit hire. Im sick of seeing people fall asleep on the job for example. Thats just completely useless if you ask me. if you cant even keep your eyes open to get through a measely 8 hour shift, then what good are you?

Ive gotten off the topic, but Im about done with my rant anyway. I think that Security has a lot of stereotypes, but people dont really know the half of it. I hate the common stereotypes I hear, and until some of these nay-sayers come work some of our sites, and see what some people have to deal with, I think they should keep their mouths shut. My job is pretty dangerous. Right now, im working at Timco Aviation Services. Theyre based at the airport, and do maintenence and overhaul on passenger aircraft. If a terrorist wanted to place a bomb on an airplane, he would more than likely come here, and take me out from the beginning. Security is more dangerous than people think. [/.02]

blume357

Residential Service Person

Most of the houses I go to are in High end neighborhoods and there is practically no worry. Also, it's against state law for me to carry in someone's home with out their permission. I think this is a good law. But on some occassions I do have to go into really really bad places... and then you just never know... For the past 15 years I've always had a very good pistol in the vehicle with me... I think now that I have a permit I might even carry on my person in the '[bad} places regardless of the law.

springmom

And Now For Something Completely Different...

I am a stay at home wife and mom. I am choir director at our church, which is an (unpaid, sadly) job about 20 hours per week, but the $$ is earned by the hubster. He is not allowed to carry in his place of business. I, of course, carry at home and out and around (unless where I'm going is prohibited). If I am going to go into my son's school, the gun stays at home (Texas law, no guns anywhere around a school). If I'm just picking him up and going on, then I take it. I have it within reach at night as well.

Is my job dangerous? Sure. I am alone a good portion of the day. I go all sorts of places, most of them not intrinsically dangerous...but anyplace is dangerous if somebody has decided to rob that place right then. And of course I spend lots of time driving around...and in the Houston area, the car is certainly a potentially dangerous place of "business".

Anyway, that's what I do.

Springmom

Handy

I spend most of my time lately in secure airport ramp areas and in the air, but you never know.

Ninjas. Tricky little bastards.

blackmind

Glock 31,
There are other jobs to be had. What is your plan? If you end up having to shoot someone because of the horrible circumstances of your job (I stayed at a crappy Virginia Beach Budget Inn back in July that sounds like that kind of place), chances are you'd have to leave the job afterwards anyway.

Why not just do so preemptively. It sounds like your job is just a bait situation for having to shoot someone. It sounds almost inevitable -- or worse, the time might come where you would have to use the gun but you are overtaken swiftly by a pair or trio of armed thugs before you see it coming.

If you don't want to be in that situation, it behooves you to leave that situation.

Good luck.

-blackmind

BobK

I'm just your average everday locksmith that works for a very busy company. After being assaulted one night on the job, I started carrying. Especially when I go out after dark. We have done work for many federal, state, city, and county law enforcement agencies. We do commercial and residential evictions as well as vacant buildings and homes. It's exciting but has the potential to be dangerous. When that type of work comes up, my boss sends me because I'm armed and trained.

Try going to a lady's house to change the locks and getting chased by her pissed off husband that she just served papers! :eek:

MPD223

I'm a police officer in Modesto Ca. My duty weapon is a Sig 226 9mm and my back up and off duty gun is a Glock 26. I never leave home without my glock. You never know what or who you might run into while off duty. I moved from Northern Cal to Central Cal and now my wife carries her smith .38 in her purse when ever she goes out.