CZ75 learning the platform

RickB

Why struggle with the trigger reach and DA/SA transition, when the gun can be carried and shot in SA mode all the time?

LAH

If he's starting from cocked and locked, it's still too long, then the OP has a problem.

Not starting from cocked & locked. Can't work the safety with proper shooting hold.

The OP also mentioned some difference between the first and second shot... If he was starting from cocked and locked, they should be the same. If starting from hammer down or the half-cock notch, there COULD be a disconcerting difference

Hitting with the double action 1st shot is pretty easy. It’s the 2nd shot I’m having a problem with. The transition from DA to SA is something to be learned with practice. As stated in the OP I’m hitting a few inches low with the second shot at 20 yards. Might be rushing the second shot a little.

Why struggle with the trigger reach and DA/SA transition, when the gun can be carried and shot in SA mode all the time?

Rick if the safety was 20-25% wider I could do this. The single action trigger reach is perfect for me.

Walt Sherrill

Will this be a "carry" weapon? If not, starting from a cocked hammer is a non-issue. If its a home defense gun or a range gun, you just cock the hammer and go! Then there's no DA/SA transition. If it's a carry gun, you can start from half-cock, and the transition is easier. You still have to practice.

Since its a pre-B, I don't know of any after-market safety levers. If you can find a safety lever to match the one on the gun (from Numrich, or maybe even CZ-USA), a local gunsmith MIGHT have the know-how and the ability to weld or silver-solder an extension onto that extra safety lever in a way that's both functional and doesn't look bad.

Knightsofnee

Think of it as learning to play golf with 40 year old clubs. But really nice 40 year old clubs.:D BTW, a really nice pre-B sold for over $1700 on Gunbroker the other day, so I guess somebody thinks they're collectable.

LAH

I do carry this from time to time but it's not my carry gun. Think of it more like a truck/range gun. It's really a learning platform to decide which mode semi-auto I want to go with. At this venture I'll probably go with a striker fired auto.

Walt Sherrill

BTW, a really nice pre-B sold for over $1700 on Gunbroker the other day, so I guess somebody thinks they're collectable..

There ARE collectible pre-Bs, and a short-rail model will sell in that range, or even more. (I've seen one of those go for over $2K). That may have been what you saw sell at that price.

But the typical pre-B, even if ANIB (and I've had a couple of those) typically sells for half of that $1700 or even less. I think I've had six pre-Bs, over the past 15 years -- and two of them were unfired. I've paid as little as $475 for very nice ones [at a gun show!!], and $600 for one of the unfired ones.)

The price for these guns may be going up a little, nowadays, because there are so many more folks who KNOW what a CZ is, and they've heard all the stories about how sweet the triggers are. But a factory new CZ can have that sort of trigger too for just a little work or by installing some after-market prices.

RickB

Quote:

Rick if the safety was 20-25% wider I could do this. The single action trigger reach is perfect for me.

There are various wide-shelf safeties available for the CZ. There's a factory custom shop, in AZ I think, that can sell you the parts, and install them if necessary. http://czcustom.com/cz-factory-safety.aspx

Grunt96

I don't have any problem with it, and shoot my 96a1 better than any Glock I've had. With the D hammer spring it has a light DA that is very smooth, and the SA is so smooth, light, and clean breaking. I'm sure the trigger on the CZ can be tweaker with a lighter hammer spring also. A striker fire sucks in comparison to a Beretta with the D hammer spring.