CZ Question - owners and enthusiasts wanted

meat

Thanks to all who participated in my poll: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133780
In response, I am leaning toward a Cz-75b or Cz-75BD. My main concern w/ CZ being such an apparently smaller comapany and less well known brand, is that parts and repair for the CZ will be difficult to obtain (please correct me if I'm wrong). I don't want to buy into a product that may be hard to get fixed or find repair parts for, especially because I live in Maryland where my future handgun choices will be limited. Someone even gave me the idea that CZ may not be around much longer because of the financial problems gun companies face especially regarding lawsuits (probably B.S.) Anyway, if there is some concrete advice regarding this topic and if anyone has experience or knowledge in this regards w/ the Cz-75, it would be greatly apprecited and would put me at ease w/ this future purchase.

Walt Sherrill

Its not a really a "smaller" company. Its widely known and sold in Europe and Asia. Its just starting to catch hold in the U.S.

Their service is top notch, with quick turnaround. (Only Ruger and Kel-Tec come close, in my experience.) Generally -- but not always -- CZs don't need service.

And, because the Baby Eagles, Tanfoglios, and EAA Witness guns are very similar, with many (but not all) parts interchanging, getting parts is not an issue. (CZ-USA gives good turnaround on parts and service.)

Most of the lawsuits against gun companies are being thrown out of court right and left, so there's a nice trend, there.

I've got several CZs. I love 'em. Have needed service twice, for four guns, and I shoot'em a lot. Needed a new magazine (hi-cap) and a new firing pin retention pin -- which I fixed myself, without sending it back to CZ.

As to whether you should get a 75B or 75BD... depends on your personal preferences. If you want to be able to shoot "cocked and locked" or "hammer down", then you've got to go with the B. If you like a decocker -- many do -- and don't care about "cocked and locked" then get the BD. Everything else abou the guns (except a minor internal point or two) is the same.

Shmackey

What Walt said.

As for B vs. BD... I think that one of the CZ benefits is the ability to engage the safety without dropping the hammer. You can manually decock a B anyway.

Marcus

I agree with Walt. CZ is certainly not small,the CZ-75 is the most used service pistol on Earth and it`s only one item in their rather full product line. It only appears small to Americans because before the fall of the iron curtain their fine products were virtually unattainable here. It bears mentioning that even though the CZs are often refered to as "bargain guns" today,back then they regularly sold for *much more* than Beretta 92s and other "premium guns". Being that they`re one of the most durable service type guns you can buy parts aren`t much of an issue. If you did ever need anything CZ is very customer oriented. As far as idiotic lawsuits are concerned I`d guess that since CZ is a little known brand in the mainstream of society (non gun circles) and that they sell less guns here than makers like S&W,Ruger,Glock etc. that they`d be less much less liable to get sued than many others. Remember S&W almost bit it recently,partly due to the lawsuit thing so it could happen to any of them (as much as that sucks! :mad: ). The 75s are really great guns. I wouldn`t trade mine for any gun in it`s class regardless of price,period. Marcus

Cee-Zed

Ceska Zbrojovka - Uhersky Brod (CZ) is the second largest arms manufacturer in Europe. I have seen this statement from sources other than CZ-UB itself, but it is a little misleading. For example, FN and Beretta have facilities and licensees in North and South America that cannot be included in this figure. At any rate, they aren’t going anywhere. CZ and Brno are very highly regarded by European hunters, sport shooters, etc. CZ makes literally EVERYTHING: from subguns to pistols to hunting rifles to shotguns to assault rifles to...

CZ sees the North American civilian market as another source of revenue. Ultimately, they have little experience with this market, and they do not see it as being a cornerstone of their success. As a former state enterprise, they are used to conducting business with other national governments. Unlike say Glock, they do not cater to the American shooter. Given this emphasis, it is highly unlikely they will ever make a handgun in 10mm or .357 SIG (just for example). Why? It’s just not worth it to them financially. I was pleasantly surprised when they decided to make a .45 ACP handgun.

As Martin Brodson, the president of CZ-USA, has stated, “CZ makes guns.” They aren’t interested in slapping their name on shooting accessories, t-shirts, and a bunch of junk that no one really wants. (This last sentence is essentially a paraphrase from Brodson.) It is very clear to me that CZ and Brno are very serious about making guns the way that their engineers think that they should be made, not just because someone may want to buy a particular gimmick. It also seems that they take a certain nationalistic pride in their product. Ultimately, their product reflects on the capability and professionalism of Czech industry as a whole, since they are the best known exports (other than beer!).

I honestly think that they represent an entirely new take on handguns for the American shooter. That is, they actually combine the best elements of traditional firearms manufacturing and 21st century technology (as opposed to concocting a snappy slogan to that effect). CZs are the choice of national militaries and law enforcement agencies in the second and third worlds. Why? They can’t afford to buy something that is a fad and doesn’t actually work. Some people criticize CZs because they are “cheap” guns. Fine. I will continue to buy them until Americans realize how good they truly are and drive up the prices.

Is this “championing?” Maybe. Time will tell.

rbuck82

catching on quickly....

CZ's are definitely catching on quickly. They've been around for a long time, but seriously hit the American market only recently. Don't worry - they're top notch, but the secret's spreading.

Hope prices don't follow their rise in popularity! :eek:

meat

Wow! :eek: Thanks for all of the great responses. I think this is great, because for me, hands down the CZ feels so great to shoot. It's nice to know that they'll be around and that the customer service is good. Better get mine before the prices go up ....:)

meat

Sorry, one more question. I know that the CZ-85 combat has some additional features compared to the CZ-75 (adjustable rear sight, extended magazine release, ambidextrous slide stop and safety catch, free-fall magazine and over travel adjustment on the trigger) but are they basically the same internally as the CZ-75? Are the parts swappable?

chaim

...but are they basically the same internally as the CZ-75? Are the parts swappable?
Yes, everything on the 85 Combat and the 75B is interchangable. It is possible to buy a 75 B and order the trigger with overtravel adjustment, adjustable sights, Combat firing pin, etc. to turn it into an 85 Combat if you want (though I don't know why anyone would do this as it would be MUCH cheaper to just buy the 85 Combat to start with). Of course, it would be easy to buy the 75B (or 85B if you want ambi controls) and just replace one or two things if that was what you wanted.

faustulus

Unlike say Glock, they do not cater to the American shooter.

This may be true to an extent but they did create the CZ 75 Single Action for the American Market. And by the way I would look at the SA before you bought a 75B. The SA costs a little more -- maybe 30 bucks -- but it is worth it. I like the flat trigger and lightened hammer. I never carry my Witness (a CZ clone) in double action so when it came time to buy a CZ I just said 'what the hey' and bought one the way I carry. But both are great guns.

VVG

I have (still) a 1996 CZ 85 combat that was imported before CZ-USA was in place. The ambidextrous slide stop broke. When I called them about the part, they informed me that this had been redesigned on later pistols but required 'smithing and to send it back to them for repair. Cost - free, and delivery 4 weeks. They sent it back, fixed, in two weeks. There are some owners of U.S. made pistols who hope for this level of support.

There aren't a "lot" of sights, holsters, etc compared to some others, but there are enough choices. I don't think CZ's are the best pistols on the market, but I do think they are a good value and CZ is of long standing in the world-wide industry. Don't sink a lot of money into one unless you intend to keep it a long time.

Walt Sherrill

Chaim wrote:

Yes, everything on the 85 Combat and the 75B is interchangable. It is possible to buy a 75 B and order the trigger with overtravel adjustment, adjustable sights, Combat firing pin, etc. to turn it into an 85 Combat if you want (though I don't know why anyone would do this as it would be MUCH cheaper to just buy the 85 Combat to start with). Of course, it would be easy to buy the 75B (or 85B if you want ambi controls) and just replace one or two things if that was what you wanted.

Not everything interchanges.

As VVG noted, the slide stops don't interchange, nor does the hammer. (The pre-B hammers and some other parts are wider than the new vesion, and won't fit when the slide is installed.) There may be other differences, as well.

And because 85 Combats have ambi controls, the hole on the right side of the frame is larger than a pre-B 75 (or a 75B!). If you want ambi controls on the pre-B 75 (or a 75B, for that matter), gunsmithing is necessary.

My Kadet Adapter kit, which works perfectly on my 85 Combat, won't work on the pre-B 75 frame, nor will the 85 Combat slide work on the pre-B frame-- due to the pre-B's wider hammer. It can't fall on either of the slide to engage the firing pin.

Cee-Zed

"This may be true to an extent but they did create the CZ 75 Single Action for the American Market. And by the way I would look at the SA before you bought a 75B. The SA costs a little more -- maybe 30 bucks -- but it is worth it."

That is certainly true. As I hinted, the 97B (.45 ACP) is also more or less for the North American market. I think we are just defining "cater" slighly differently! :)

I have a 75B SA. My only criticism would be that it has a few features intended for competition that might be a hindrance for CCW. The extended mag catch is the chief culprit. However, if you max out the overtravel adjustment, the gun can actually fire more rapidly than a 75B. I didn't think that would be noticable, but it is. The 75B SA has a very slight edge in the fit and finish department as well.

The trigger IS much better. I would like to compare it to a pre-B 75.

Hard Ball

I have three CZs, a CZ97B which is a superb pistol, a CZ52 which is remarkable pistol (1,600 feet per sec with Czech ammunition and a CZ38 which is a most unusual design, but beautifully made.:cool:

aquapong

A CZ 75BD or PCR is on my wish list. It may have to get knocked down a spot so I can get an AR before they are banned though.:rolleyes:

meat

Thanks for all the info. If anyone has an educated guess, what would you say the average service life of a CZ-75 is until some parts breakage?

Eric Larsen

Whats a CZ?... And that Forum thing....hmmm. I may have to check it out :D :rolleyes: Ya right whatever! Many many good points made. I can only agree with all of it. Its actually funny that people relate to CZ's as a "bargain or beginner or cheap gun" ..as previously stated they were alot more before the wall came down. I have heard about 1000$ CZ's from Canada...before the fog lifted. Kinda funny...my dad ordered an infamous "Makarov" in the early 80's. They took over 6-12 months to get and cost well over 1000$...thats when your order actually came through. How that for a role reversal...gotta love it.
CZ's are great guns...however the less people who actually know that...is probably for the better :D
Shoot well