CZ P-07 as general prupose 9mm?

cslinger

No bad guns mentioned. As far as the Walther P99AS vs the P22. BIG DIFFERENCE. Unfortunately Walther is basically under Umarex and Umarex makes some products with the Walther name that are......well sub standard as far as firearms go.

The Walther products made in Ulm(I believe) are the real deal and EXCELLENT firearms.

The P99AS is an amazing gun.

As far as the P07 I suspect it would make a great do all DA/SA.

AgedWarrior

I really like my P-07. Excellent pistol that has been completely reliable with all ammo. The trigger is good, maybe not the very best, but good all the same. The pistol is easy to shoot and very comfortable in my hand (on the small side). My P-07 is a .40 S&W...thinking of adding one in 9mm in the future. It would be (is) a great general purpose gun.

cslinger

And for the record put me in the paddle mag release camp. I don’t think it’s VASTLY superior but I do think it has some advantages.

tomklra14

I own a 92fs and the P07. The 92 is my favorite but the P07 is better for what you want. I shoot mine in IDPA, carry it IWB often, and carry it OWB on my motorcycle. Mine is stock except for sights. If you want a general purpose handgun and like da/sa, I believe the P07 is a very good choice. It is just not as sexy looking as the Beretta.

robmkivseries70

Got a P-09 here and am slowly setting it up. I prefer locked and cocked for carry and added some epoxy to the left side thumb safety and shaped it just right, so far so good. The next thing will be a better front sight.
Best,
Rob

hemiram

A friend had the original P-07, and I wasn't impressed much. Later on, he got one of the new updated ones and my opinion changed. I found a good deal on GB for a slightly used, very slightly used, P-07 with a CZ Custom action job, and Fiber Optic sites. While it's not my favorite gun, it's close to the top.

Brit

I am trying to remember if the P-07 makes a loud clack? When you decock it by releasing the trigger? Never owned or fired one. But whilst running a match at an IALEFI in Salt Lake City, watched a slide and barrel fly off one when the operator released the slide catch! I offered to lend him a spare Glock 19!
Sorry! The HKP7 Handgun: The gentlemen's squeeze cocker!

The story I was told? True or not, a US Marshall, working in NY City, after moving through an alleyway, with squeeze cocker depressed! Had two rounds hit the wall, two feet above his head? When he released that grip.
I did dry fire that pistol, the trigger was nice. I believe that it had a pinned barrel. Fixed?

Last edited:

rodfac

No experience here with the P-07, but do have considerable time with a variety of Sigs. (P226, M11A1, P225, P365, P290, P220, Sig 1911 RCS)

Here is a rundown on my experience with Sigs: All are of excellent fit and finish...all fed and ejected at nearly 100% reliability, and all had great DA triggers and good SA trigger functions. Accuracy was all that I needed at defense distances and were capable of playing card sized target area hits at 15-20 yds with good steering on my part. Closer in, at 10 yds, slow fire groups hovered around 1"+. They're expensive if bought new, but a bit cheaper, of course, used. Any one of them would be my first choice.

The P229 or M11A1 (P229), fits your Compact size criteria and has the capacity you've specified. In both 9mm and .40 S&W, as I have a caliber exchange unit, my example is superb.

Ergonomically, even with my Size "L" paws, the double stack models (P226 & M11A1 or P229) have a large grip in circumference. Troubling to some, but trainable in my case after a few hundred rounds. The P225 has the best overall grip feel for me, but it's a single stack.

For conceal-ability/capacity/overall usefulness as a CC choice, the P365 is the best choice in my opinion
. Accuracy with it is very close to either my P226 or the M11a1 in fact. It's a hellofa fighting pistol...and for those concerned with its teething problems...they're in the past as far as I know and mine has been trouble free for over 1300 rounds now.

A word on sights: Tritium night sights would be a must-have on any carry/HD gun if I were buying.

YMMv, HTH's Rod BTW, I'd opine that the P226 is a bit large to CC on a regular, all-seasons, basis.

Last edited:

sigarms228

I tried the CZ P07 and it shot well for me and seems like a fine pistol. However I personally don't like hammer fired CZs for SD purposes due to very skinny slide grip area. I love my SP01 as a range gun. For poly frame hammer fired pistols I prefer HKs and in particular the P30 series which might be worth checking out but as of right now they appear pretty scarce and will probably be $150 or so more than the P07. The new 17 round flush fit magazine from HK for the VP9 will also fit the P30 series.

Fishbed77

I’ve owned quite a few Walthers and HKs. I really don’t find the puddle release “markedly superior”, but to each his own.

Several factors make the paddle mag release superior for a carry pistol in my experience. As always, YMMV.

It is practically impossible to have a mag drop accidentally with a paddle release while holstered, potentially leaving you with just 1 shot in a defense situation. Even with a quality holster, this possibility still exists with a thumb-style mag release.

The release is completely ambidextrous for all users, practically regardless of hand size and finger length, since it can be activated with either the thumb or forefinger. Even with long fingers, I've found it difficult on some pistols to activate a thumb safety without shifting the pistol in my hand.

As an ambi release the paddle release is superior to thumb safety ambi releases, in that it does not require disassembly of the pistol to swap the function from one side to the other. Also, the the case of the few pistols out there that have thumb releases on both side, well, you've just doubled your chances of potentially accidentally dropping the mag while holstered. Some designs, such as the CZ82, use thick grips in an attempt to avoid this, but they have the affect of making the thumb release difficult to reach and actuate.

Again, YMMV, and I certainly don't practice what I preach, since almost all of my carry pistols have thumb releases. But that's largely a factor of the rarity of the paddle release on the market.

TunnelRat

I like being able to release a magazine with the pistol in the holster. It’s a good option if doing a one handed tactical reload. Pistol goes back to the holster, pop out the magazine, store the not full magazine, insert new magazine, and away you go. Now is that a very rare event? Not denying that. Also, you could hit the paddle release as you’re going to the holster so it’s not impossible to do with the paddle either (I’m trying to be fair).

What I will say is I have owned and carried literally dozens of pistols in my time on this forum (certainly others have carried more and for longer). I never had a pistol where the thumb release would activate by accident, and I wear my pistols pretty tight against my body. Now can it happen? Sure, there are loads of possibilities and maybe I’m just fooling myself. But until the day when I see it be a problem it’s not a big concern for me (and at that point with the number of designs I’ve owned that didn’t have that issue I’d question if that pistol was more the problem than thumb releases in general).

As for shifting your hand to hit the thumb release, as someone with stubby fingers I’ve always had to do this. I have heard it said that for a number of designs it wasn’t just that the designer happened to have long fingers. It was a deliberate choice in that pressing the magazine release was meant to be a deliberate action and not something that happens by accident. This was before the days of extended magazine releases and competitions where a tenth of a second here and there made the difference between winning and not. That’s not to say I don’t think a fast magazine change is important, I do, again I just don’t find the time it takes me to do so with a thumb release to be particularly problematic.

I think the ambidextrous aspect is nice, but frankly if I had to switch to weak hand I can use my trigger finger to hit the magazine release if the thumb release is set up for right hand. Swapping a magazine release from one side to the other is not something I’ve found particularly hard to do. I would agree with your point that a thumb release on both sides seems to definitely lead to more inadvertent drops (which is why I try to avoid pistols with that design choice).

Now again, in no way do I think the paddle release is bad. It is more ambi friendly as it comes, I just don’t find a thumb release deficient to the point of problematic in that regard. Given that the pistols I’ve had the best luck with and seem to shoot and carry most easily don’t have paddle releases, the differences I see on magazine release method aren’t enough to make me give up the features I like about other designs. Like you said YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cslinger

What I have found works for me with say Gen 3 Glocks is using my support hand to release the mag as I go for a reload vs shifting my grip.

I have never had any issues with button releases beyond grip shifting I just prefer to use my trigger finger and like the ambi and streamlined approach the paddle provides.

I’m too lazy to switch my buttons to the right side where applicable to use trigger finger and I prefer to be proficient with both but HKs are my go to guns so I am far more comfortable these days with a paddle.

To the OP just about any CZ will be good choice. I have experience with just about all the currently available DA/SA guns and beyond individual quirks (mag releases, rotating bolts, trigger feel, safety or not etc etc etc) they are pretty darn good.

CZ P07/75/P01 etc.
Beretta 92/compact/M9
Beretta PX4 series
HK USP/compact/P2000/P30
Walther P99AS
SIGs
And so on.

There really isn’t a BAD choice in the lot. Characteristics you may or may not like, yes, but all first rate guns.

Although not specific to the P07 I did a little side by side analysis of what I think would be good DA/SA hammer fired Glock 19 alternatives. It might help or color your opinion. The PX4 is not there because mine is a full size but it’s a great gun as well.

Glock vs a box or hammers.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5700047844?r=5700047844#5700047844

Cosmodragoon

It's a decent gun but I prefer the PX4 by a large margin. I've shot them both side by side. The PX4 is more comfortable and points better for me. Recoil is smoother and it comes back to target more readily. For carry, the PX4 can be converted to decocker only with low-profile levers. (The compact carry version comes that way.)

Fullclip610

I have a P07. I couldn’t recommend it more for a polymer DA/SA gun. Very robust and built
Like a tank. Mine was a special edition that came with night sights and extended (non threaded) barrel. Came with the safety installed but no parts to switch it to decocker. You should def get it. Awesome gun.