CZ P-07 as general prupose 9mm?

idek

I've been thinking I'd like to get a DA/SA (decocker only) pistol for general use...

It would mostly be for fun at the range, but I'd like it to be able to fill carry, HD, if necessary. Also, I hike and do backcountry camping and would like to carry the gun in that role.

It looks like the CZ 75, Beretta 92, and Sig p226/229 are the leading DA/SA pistols, but the CZ P-07 is a bit lighter (making it more appealing to me for the camp/trail gun use).

Anyone have experience with this model who can comment on whether it would or would not be good for the purposes listed?

I'm also open to other suggestions, though I'd like to stick with DA/SA.

DaleA

You might want to consider the Taurus 92. It's usually $400 here in Minnesota and I like the frame mounted safety rather than the slide mounted safety that most of the Berettas have.

If you can find a Taurus 99, that's the 92 with adjustable sights, that would be a contender for me.

P.S. If you've got concerns about Taurus quality control I'd certainly understand.

HistoryJunky

I carry the P07 quite frequently and have owned it for about 3 years. I bought a HK P30 last year and have been carrying that mostly.

Anyways.

There's a lot of good about the P07. My example is very accurate and soft shooting.

You can either have it configured with a decker or cocked and locked. You get both when you buy it but the decocker comes installed already.

Single action on the P07 is good. Reset is pretty good too. Double action isn't the best from the factory but upgrades are available and the stock trigger does smooth out somewhat.

15 round mags are good and the size of the grip is pretty much equal to a Glock 19.

P07 is a bit heavy for a compact pistol, but I don't think it's too heavy.

And it will accept standard CZ-75b magazines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chui

I've been thinking I'd like to get a DA/SA (decocker only) pistol for general use...

It would mostly be for fun at the range, but I'd like it to be able to fill carry, HD, if necessary. Also, I hike and do backcountry camping and would like to carry the gun in that role.

It looks like the CZ 75, Beretta 92, and Sig p226/229 are the leading DA/SA pistols, but the CZ P-07 is a bit lighter (making it more appealing to me for the camp/trail gun use).

Anyone have experience with this model who can comment on whether it would or would not be good for the purposes listed?

I'm also open to other suggestions, though I'd like to stick with DA/SA.

It’s a phenomenal pistol.

If you’re interested you can either send the pistol to Cajun Gun Works or purchase the Pro Grade parts kit and install it. If professionally installed it would likely be the last pistol you sell if it came down to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idek

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Based on what I've seen so far, no one seems to oppose the P-07 for my intended uses.

I looked up the Cajun Gunworks stuff. Sounds pretty good, but having them do the trigger work in house would almost double the cost of the gun. :eek:

Fishbed77

I own or have shot extensively all of the above. They are all excellent pistols, but very different. The Beretta 92, P226, and CZ75 are full-size guns, and the CZ75 is heaviest, due to its steel frame versus the aluminum alloy frames of the 92 and P226. Of those 3, my personal order of preference for carry would be P226, CZ75, 92.

The P229 and CZ P07 are more compact, and I'd definitely give the edge for carry to the P07. I'm never really warmed up to the P229 versus the slightly lighter and more elegant P228, but the P07 trumps either of of those for carry, as well as the full-size guns above.

The P07 really is a superb pistol. It's a robust design (be sure to get a "Gen 2" version vs the no-longer-produced "P07 DUTY" version which had some mostly cosmetic issues with frame warping). The slide is very well machined and the nitride treatment is very tough - much better than the Polycoat finish found on some other CZs in my experience. The stock trigger is quite good, and my example shoots very accurate for me.

About the only downside are the rather expensive magazines, although the less expensive CZ P10C magazines fit and function flawlessly. Also is it still slightly thicker and larger than something like a Glock 19.

Another DA/SA pistol to consider would be the Walther P99AS. It is almost exactly the same size at the P07, with the same standard capacity of 15 rounds.

I looked up the Cajun Gunworks stuff. Sounds pretty good, but having them do the trigger work in house would almost double the cost of the gun.

It's possible to buy the CGW kits and install them yourself, though I haven't felt the need to do so with my P07.

You might want to consider the Taurus 92. It's usually $400 here in Minnesota and I like the frame mounted safety rather than the slide mounted safety that most of the Berettas have.

If you can find a Taurus 99, that's the 92 with adjustable sights, that would be a contender for me.

P.S. If you've got concerns about Taurus quality control I'd certainly understand.

I don't recommend the Taurus 92/99. For the $400 you spend on one, you are only about $75 from a superior pistol like a new P07, or even a surplus P226. I know lots of folks swear by the Taurus 92, and claim that it's better than most Taurus pistols, but that has not been my experience.

Last edited:

Legal_trouble

Cz P09 was my first handgun, I don't have enough experience with firearms triggers to say if it's good enough out of the box for you (hell I can't even tell you if it's good enough for me...) but right off the bat I noticed the reset was a mile long after taking a shot, all the way back to the double action trigger even though you're in SA at that point. I got the $80 CGW short reset kit and had it installed (along with deburring & polishing several factory components) in an afternoon of YouTube and CZ forum how-to's and even to me that made a HUGE improvement! Can't comment about the P07 for your uses but the P09 is a great gun and amazingly accurate even in my hands.

If you're gonna get P10c mags for your P0x series apparently you need to make sure you get the newest generation mags with the red follower. Idk if that's 100% accurate info that the older p10c mags won't work but I followed that advice and got the new red follower p10c mags for my P09 and they do work just fine so just FYI, maybe something to look into more on the CZ forum before potentially making a mistake buying older incompatible mags..

Here's the post from the CZ forums I followed to get that SRK installed and clean up some of the factory parts... Looks pretty intimidating but I had it done start to finish in an afternoon. Shopping on the CGW site it's easy to rack up several hundreds of $$ worth of trigger upgrades (you can literally spend more money on just trigger upgrades then the gun costs) but I feel the improvements I got for $80 and few hours of time were well worth it and made a very noticeable improvement, even to me!

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=66147.0

Last edited:

armoredman

The P-07/P-10C mags are the same now. Look for four slots cut in the front of the magazine and they are the right ones. P-07 is an eCZellent sidearm.

Old 454

CZ pistols are the best value out there.
Ergonomics are great... reliable and accurate out of the box.
Also in my experience will eat anything you feed it.

My oldest son Carrys the sp-01 Phantom... my youngest Carrys the P10- C... and I carry the P-01.

Great pistols... you wont be disappointed

wild cat mccane

My CZ P-09 had a heavy DA and the SA reset was pretty long. I know, it's not everything in the world. I get it. But these were noticeably bad qualities of the gun and he asked.

To fix this through Cajun Works is kinda ridiculously expensive.

Other lighter polymers DA/SA include the Sig 2022, Beretta PX4 G model (though with parts you can convert type F to G) HK P30 (had the L V3 version, don't recommend it).

Decocker only? AND get the best current SA trigger on the market?

Get the Walther P99. SA/DA with a decocker.

MarkCO

Poly frame pistols. Started with Glocks and went through almost all of them before landing on the CZP09. It was a confluence of circumstances, but once I got a few hundred rounds down range, I was hooked. I have a P09 with the CGW parts that I installed, one without and I just added a CZP07. What the others have said in support of the CZP07 I agree with. It's nearest competition would likely be the G19, but I greatly prefer the Omega trigger system.

The P07 is the largest pistol I carry, and then OWB with a coat or western vest over it.

Fishbed77

My CZ P-09 had a heavy DA and the SA reset was pretty long. I know, it's not everything in the world. I get it. But these were noticeably bad qualities of the gun and he asked.

To fix this through Cajun Works is kinda ridiculously expensive.

Other lighter polymers DA/SA include the Sig 2022, Beretta PX4 G model (though with parts you can convert type F to G) HK P30 (had the L V3 version, don't recommend it).

Decocker only? AND get the best current SA trigger on the market?

Get the Walther P99. SA/DA with a decocker.

Interesting. I don't perceive the P07's DA trigger weight to feel any heavier than something like a P226, though it's not as smooth. Likewise, the SA reset feels equivalent to most other DA/SA pistols, but is nice and tactile.

But yes - the P07 trigger does not compare to the trigger of a Walther P99AS. No stock DA/SA pistol does. The P99AS has simply the best trigger feel of any stock pistol in this category, and the shortest reset as well.

The P99AS and P07 are both excellent pistols.

I'd give the edge to the P99AS for:
  • Trigger feel and function
  • Ergonomics
  • Paddle-style mag release (it's the 21st century, and honestly all carry pistols should have this markedly superior design)
  • Fit & Finish
  • Proven reliability

I'd give the edge to the P07 for:
  • Vastly superior stock sights
  • Lower felt recoil and shootability (the P99AS is a little more "top-heavy" and flippy)
  • Better stock grip texturing
  • Cost
  • Flexibility of Omega Trigger (a bonus to those - not me - who want to carry "cocked & locked")

Cyanide971

I love CZ in general, and my P-07 Duty is no exception (or the Gen 2 P-07 I also had), but my Beretta PX4 Compact nudges just ahead of it overall and is what I’d choose if going with one of my hammer-fired, compact size handguns. They are both accurate and eat whatever I feed them, but to me, the Beretta handles a little better and in stock form, has a better trigger (moot point now since both have been converted to DAO, CZ 6.5# and the Beretta is about 8#). The CZ in the other hand has a better stock grip texture, and is much easier for night sights. Still, I would take either one of them without worry, as they do both see time on my side for CC. Here’s a few pics of them side by side:

b198b7e27fded1efd5673cbe1c70b2dd.jpg

16fd6c1d590dea36f0aaa1b73ddc27b2.jpg

This set of images show them first with their “normal” 15-rd mags. The middle is the CZ with a stock P-09 19-rd mag and the Beretta with a +3 extension. The bottom is the P-09 mag with a +2 extension, and the Beretta with a full size PX4 17-rd mag with a +3 extension.

1f49ca77bd8221390b16335a792ba73a.jpg

TunnelRat

Interesting. I don't perceive the P07's DA trigger weight to feel any heavier than something like a P226, though it's not as smooth. Likewise, the SA reset feels equivalent to most other DA/SA pistols, but is nice and tactile.

But yes - the P07 trigger does not compare to the trigger of a Walther P99AS. No stock DA/SA pistol does. The P99AS has simply the best trigger feel of any stock pistol in this category, and the shortest reset as well.

The P99AS and P07 are both excellent pistols.

I'd give the edge to the P99AS for:
  • Trigger feel and function
  • Ergonomics
  • Paddle-style mag release (it's the 21st century, and honestly all carry pistols should have this markedly superior design)
  • Fit & Finish
  • Proven reliability

I'd give the edge to the P07 for:
  • Vastly superior stock sights
  • Lower felt recoil and shootability (the P99AS is a little more "top-heavy" and flippy)
  • Better stock grip texturing
  • Cost
  • Flexibility of Omega Trigger (a bonus to those - not me - who want to carry "cocked & locked")

I’ve owned quite a few Walthers and HKs. I really don’t find the puddle release “markedly superior”, but to each his own.

I’ve owned the P-07 Duty and then the newer P-07. The newer version is, imo, a big step up all around. It’s a pistol I want to love. I simply don’t shoot it as well as a P-01. I did try the CGw spring kit, but I didn’t find it made a big difference for me. I wouldn’t have any reservations about trying a P-07.

idek

Thanks for the continued input and suggestions. Some people mentioned the PX4 and the Walther99. I've looked into the PX4 some, but I'm not familiar at all with the Walther. I had a Walther p22 (22lr), that wasn't very good and left a bad impression about the company, but I think that gun is actually made by Umarex, so I'll look into the 99.

For people who've mentioned replacing trigger parts from CGW, is that easy enough to do on your own (assuming I got a CZ and later wanted trigger upgrades)?

TunnelRat

In my opinion the trigger part swaps aren’t too hard. That said being somewhat mechanically minded helps. You’d want a good set of punches, a non-marring hammer, basic things. In the past if I had a question CGW were very helpful on the phone.

MarkCO

^Agree. There are plenty of videos on it as well. I watched one, proceeded to do the install and a few times, went back to a specific segment to make sure I was doing it right.

Brit

The Canadian Border group, who manned the booths (Some are Ladys!) were being pushed towards the S&W 9mm pistol, as their service choice? RCMP pick! All steel weighed a ton.
Till they came to the 2M drop test. Full magazine, hammer cocked, empty chamber. Drop on to muzzle, CLICK! hammer fall. They kept taking a round out, do-over! Dropped on the muzzle, till only one round in the mag.
So end of the S&W.

They were so sure the S&W would win? The only other pistol there (Rigged the bid so Glock could not compete!) was a Berreta P4. That passed, but as double action was the start of all strings! Most of the older Ladies failed at the 50M stage. (Which I think had no one bothered, as that group were the highest-paid!) So the new hire were kids, the lowest pay scale.

The Police Forces in Canada are all going Glock (and 9mm!) Because Toronto Police went .40 S&W Cal. Which went real expensive.
No company made. .40 Cal in Canada at that time. But IVI made 9mm.
I was involved in that sale, the chief firearms Instructor wanted 45 ACP! But that was a forbidden calibre, so he settled for the .40. I could pick the models, not the calibre.

Years later, I was contacted by a criminal defence lawyer from Toronto.
On a bogus charge laid on a Jamaican born Canadian Citizen. I was living in Florida then.
I was instrumental in winning that! Long story.

Last edited: