Cz P-01?

.357SIG

Did anyone else hear of this?

Basically a decocker equipped, compact CZ75 built for the Czech National Police. It looks interesting and the testing it endured puts it up to par with GLOCK and HK. Of course, no one's going to subject their guns to that kind of torture, right?;) After reading the article in this month's (Feb. 2002) American Rifleman, I'm interested in checking one out.

Asaide from the gun rags, which glorify everything, I wonder how good it really is?

Pilot

The P01 is basically a CZ-75 PCR with the addition of a front rail for accessories. The PCR is an excellent gun and I expect the P01 is as well.

Eric Larsen

PO1, PCR and Compact......

The PO1 is a modified PCR, which is not a Compact except in relation to its size.

The PO1 has a full legth guide rail setup, light/lazer mounts, loaded chamber indicator and is a little more "melted" than the PCR. Thats about it.

The PCR, has a different slide, "novak" style sights, an alloy frame, extended mag release and a decocker which the Compact doesnt have.

Am/Rif. is kinda doing the "new gun" bandwagon thing. I quess, kinda sorta, maybe, alittle it is a new gun. The full length guiderails make it a new frame. New frame=new gun...etc.

But its built HEAVILY on a PCR platform, which is a great gun. You can add a really little small bright red light to it now. Which is a good thing.....just thought I would throw in my 1.5 cents.....:D

Shoot well

RBull

The CZ P01 is actually what the PCR was supposed to be - the new service handgun of Police of Czech Republic (that is why the PCR stands in the name). Originally, the call for new service arm was set in mid 90's, but it was halted and re-examined few times during the time. The PCR is what CZ proposed to the Czech police in late 90's, but the gun was not accepted and the Czech police have updated their reqirements few time after that. I managed to see the gun roughly a year ago, looked exactly like the current P01, but I have been told that there is still few design changes the police requires. After that, I have read comments on the testing (spring 2001) and there was objection to the quality - the CZ police demand even higher standard! Following article in czech shooting magazine stated that the test sample has triggerwork leveling sport specials in the smoothnes and generally they stated that the gun is the best CZ ever made, clearly surpasing the rest of production in the quality. Consequently the contract has been signed last summer between the Czech gvt. and CZUB and until the end of 2001 was the first 1000 produced pistols delivered to the Czech police. CZUB have to produce 45 000 P01 during the next 2 (or 3?) yrs for the contractor and for thisyear the CZUB planns to release just a few hundreds (?) units for the market!

Sorry for the long text, my point is that the "minor changes", or "slight modification" took some good 3-4 years of developement and hard testing and even though the original PCR is very good gun worth more than the CZ is selling it for, the P01 is one more step up in quality and design.

Jim Watson

I understand the requirement for a decocker by the police.
Now what I would like to see is a cocked & locked gun otherwise the same. Call it a PCR-SA or a Compact Lightweight. The steel Compact is a good size but is too heavy in a world with Glocks, SigSauers, or even my old Commander.

HS2000

Eric and RBull:

Good rundowns on the PCR/PO-1. Two minor corrections. The PCR does have a loaded chamber indicator. And the PO-1 will also get the novak-style sights and alloy frame that the PCR utilyzes. The pistol shown in the American Rifleman article was a prototype that employed the standard 75B sights.

So I guess the main upgrades of the PO-1 are the tactical rails and an even better build quality -- which I find surprising, since the PCR is already a finely crafted, super reliable, and highly accurate pistol. Way to go CZ.

And speaking of PCR's, I lucked out at a gunshow over the weekend and picked up a previously owned, but unfired PCR for $375 -- with the hard case and all the correct accessories. One of the clerk's I deal with frequently at a local shop called me over to his shop's table to let me know of the deal. Seems the previous owner bought it for his wife, but her tiny hands had a bit of trouble with the long DA pull.

When I got home last night, I tore it down for inspection --- pistol's internals were still slathered in factory oil and not a mark on it anywhere. Cool.

Take care all. Marko

Eric Larsen

Marko....SCORE! Great price, Congrats....
My comparisons were how the Compact compares to the PCR and how the PCR compares to the PO. Its different from it this way.
Kinda confusing....thanks for the good words and enjoy your gun!
Wanna trade for a trick Compact?

Shoot well

HS2000

Eric:

I've seen your Compact. Way nice. Why don't you post a picture of it here for the others to see?

Take care. Marko

Pilot

Sorry Marko

Marko,

That sounds like a good deal, except I got my PCR for $399 N.I.B. from a local gunshop. Sorry. :)

RBull

BTW, did you know CZUB have produced the PCR with coloured polymer coat - not just black polymer finnish, but kind of olive drab (like the Walther P99 Mlitary) and another one on blue? The blue normal model, not a training (as is the case of the blue and red Glock). They have tested the market, but I am not sure if any of these did make it to U.S.A. though...

HS2000

Pilot:

This board needs audio. I want you to hear the the giant "rasberry" I'm giving you right now. :p :p

Besides my PCR is N.I.B. It's just that it took a small detour to someone else's safe before it found its way into mine... :rolleyes:

Take care bud. Marko

P.S.: You should be happy, at least I didn't buy another SIG, right? Also, would it shock you to learn that I'm contemplating my first 1911?

Daedalus

This new CZ seems to be exactly what I am looking for! When is it expected to hit the U.S. market? And for about how much? I am excited!

The Walrus

This is my roommate's P-01, it was manufactured with an alloy P-01 lower and regular CZ-75D slide (apparently, CZUB is still going through excess inventory of 75D slides).

He purchased it a few months ago for $399.

Attachments

• cz-75 pcr smaller.jpg
    cz-75 pcr smaller.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 252

Eric Larsen

After talking with certain people that are in contact with CZUB aka as the Factory, the Hybrid or Cross over PCR/PO1 is indeed a PO1 frame and trigger but isnt a PO1.
They wanted to utilize all of the left over parts of the PCR and had to use the PO1 frame to accomplish the task.

The main differences in the PO1 and ALL other CZ's including the PCR and Hybrid are:
Its going to be the first CZ to actually be machined within a tight enough spec to use other PO1 guns parts without hand fitting. To date all CZ's have actually had to hand fitted in certain areas......trigger bar, sear and hammer for example. While some parts are close enough to have worked in other guns, like an SA trigger/sear/hammer in the 75B gun, it isnt designed as a true and honest "drop in part". The PO1's will all be the first "drop in parts" in a CZ gun.
This tighter machining practice will make for a better; lighter and smoother trigger. Better fit between parts; frame and slide rails etc. Also it will have the standard CZ 75B sight arrangement. The cross over has the PCR slide and of course, sights also.
There are a couple of more differences but they are mainly small changes in the original PCR design.
I know of ALOT of the other "topend" guns makers submitted guns for the Czeck. Police to review and the PO1 beat out all of them.
The best part of this for me is. CZ's have been great weapons for a long time. This change in manufacturing can only help them become a better/smoother gun, which may put the hurts to alot of future Sig/Beretta/Walthers/Glock/etc sales in the future.

They are only getting better :D

Shoot well

Attachments

• cz-pcr2.jpg
    cz-pcr2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 194

sven

Eric: you have so many great photos of your CZs... how many of the images on hakan's site are your guns?

=)

Czech

I know of ALOT of the other "topend" guns makers submitted guns for the Czeck. Police to review and the PO1 beat out all of them.

To be fair, as far as I know this is not entirely correct.

There has been a lot of controversy about this police pistols here, and the contest has been disputed many times (I suppose it will remain unknown how much of the reason was a want to use domestic guns, and how much lobbying and bribes from other firearm manufacturers).

If I'm not mistaken, there were very few applications for the last round of the contest, and many were refused for formal reasons, leaving only one (CZ) or perhaps two.

For all these problems it remains beyond any doubt that an already excellent gun (CZ 75 / PCR) has come out of it as an even better gun. The amount and length of tests it has undergone (due to the looong selection process and the controversy) is unparalelled, at least in this country (with loooong dradition in firearms manufacture), and the P-01 has come out as clean winner.

Almost makes me regret I already have CZ-75BD in the Police version, and so I don't have real need for this class of gun for now - otherwise I'd be buying a P-01.

I want to buy a CZ-110, but might yet compare it to P-01 first.

Eric Larsen

Czech,
Good post. Id heard that a couple of topend makers submitted guns and for whatever the reason...were dropped or dropped out. Either way...it ended up making us a nicer gun to oogle!
Id love a CZ110...good luck in this country. Id take a PO1 and will try to get one later on. I could carry them open, my PCR on one side and the PO1 on the other. THAT WOULD GET SOME LOOKS, especially in the worlds biggest small town :D
Sven,
One :D ...Ill have to send him some newer stuff...thanks
Shoot well

Selfdfenz

Many excellent posts.
I've been following the P-01 story for a while too and frankly I can't wait to get one.

And then a RAMI.

And then.....I may be done.

S-

Still, I love my PCR.