CZ 97b broke again

armoredman

XD not bad - I liked the HS-2000. ;)

My CZ P-10C FDE has somewhere around 3000 through it with no failures, the White Nitride, last count was about 1700 IIRC, same thing. I never really remember to write it down. :)
Thanks for the reminder, People Mover does need an oil change. :D

Walt Sherrill

armoredman said:
XD not bad - I liked the HS-2000.

And I have an XDm Competition in .45, and it's the best-shooting (in my hands) .45 I've owned -- although I've got a Glock 38 that I like almost as much. I've had a bunch of .45s over the years (97B, several SIG 220s, a 220 Match and 220 Super match, a semi-custom 1911 or two, a SIG GSR, and several Witnesses including a Sport Long Slide), and I shoot the XDm and 38 better than any of them. Others might get different results with the same guns.

The only issue I had with the XDm was getting familiar with the grip safety -- but that can be a problem for some folks with 1911s, too.

Rinspeed

XD not bad - I liked the HS-2000

I had one of the original HS-2000s I bought in a Glocktalk group buy. I think it was $240 or something. Like an idiot I sold it for a profit years later, that was stupid. When SA bought the rights the price went up $150 overnight.

Webleymkv

chris in va, are you running the stock recoil spring in your 97b? I've heard of CZ-75's breaking slide stops due to being undersprung from the factory (seemed to be an issue in the early 2000's). Perhaps, if you're running the stock spring, a replacement from Wolff might solve your issue.

armoredman

Tactical Jackalope said:
...HK and SIGs seemed to last the longest in any rental program...
I worked a rental range back in the day when the USPs came out. We started with 6. By the end of the year we had one - all the rest were back at HK. That was the same year TPD swapped from HK to Glock due to massive breakage in the USP. However, the P7M8 we had was a tank. The guns that held up the best over all were Ruger autos and Smith revolvers - I don't know how well the CZ would have lasted due to the fact that the range was broken into soon after I started and among other guns, the range rental CZ pistols were stolen. Oh, SIG, the P-220 and P-226 lasted just fine - the 230 broke about once a month. Spring issue, IIRC.
Back to OP - has CZ had the entire gun in their possession to check it out?

Walt Sherrill

Webleymkv said:
I've heard of CZ-75's breaking slide stops due to being undersprung from the factory (seemed to be an issue in the early 2000's).

That "underspringing" continued for a long time -- with 14 lb. recoil springs having a measured "weight" of 12 lbs. But folks have used heavier and lighter recoil springs and I've never seen any type of true cause/effect relationship that anyone can point to. I've run recoil spring from 12 lbs to 22 lbs. and have even experimented with some variable rate springs (available for the BHP, which are a functional alternative). Everything I've read is guesswork, and my own comments below, are also guesswork.

Tanfoglio was the reigning champion of IPSC in Europe during the late 90s and early 2000's, and shooters there routinely changed slide stops for the T-guns at around 5000 rounds. There weren't enough CZs in the gun games then to know if they were any better or worse than the T-guns at eating (or not eating) slide stops. There was no mention of going to heavier or lighter recoil springs -- but some discussion of VERY LIGHT recoil springs used with buffers to increase slide velocity (which could lead to faster followup shots).

I've wondered whether (and at times argued that) increasing the weight of the recoil spring might have an opposite effect with the CZ-75 barrel. Because the barrel lug interacts with the slide stopy via a closed loop (kidney-bean shaped), and the extra force of a stronger recoil spring could apply extra force to the slide stop as the slide slams shut. I have no solid evidence for this, but it seems possible.

The newer CZ barrel designs tend to have open barrel lugs, so I don't know whether the original "kidney bean" opening was a problem if it is/was a problem in the first place -- or whether the change has has made the problem go away. I haven't heard much about broken slide stops for newer CZ barrel designs. Some of the newer CZ designs have gone to a SIG-type lockup approach, so they are subtly different (and there's no bottom part of the lug to cause damage, if it causes damage.)

Last edited: