CZ 75 vs Glock 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

hAkron

I have a Glock 17 and a CZ 75D PCR (pretty much the Glock 19 in the CZ world). Both of these guns are very accurate. If I had to make a distinction between the two it would be this: I would have no reservation about completely detail stripping my Glock just for the heck of it, I don't think I could tackle a detail strip of the CZ. I removed some screw and an odd ball spring on my CZ to try and move the mag release to the other side and I didn't get it correctly back together for almost 2 hours, and even when I did I almost cross threaded the screw, and forgot to loktite it and it loosened the next time I went to the range which caused the trigger to malfunction. Lots more going on with the CZ internals.

notamisfit6

I went for the CZ. But then again, my autoloaders are pretty much range toys. The CZ shoots like a dream, feeds whatever I put into it, and the steel frame makes recoil laughable. If I actually had to carry something I probably would have gone for the Glock, simply because I can actually get accessories for them at the local gun store.

Pilot

I think both will do its job very well. It all comes down with which you shoot better and are more comfortable. Their systems, and ergonomics are different. CZ's come with traditional safeties in DA/SA and with decockers depending on models.

I am more comfortable with the CZ's systems, especially their safeties, and controls and how they fit my hand then Glock's, but they are both fine pistols. That being said, I can see myself owning a G26 for summer carry at some point.

Spencer_325is

I've been trying to decide what my first handgun should be for some time now. I love the reviews of the SP-01 and 75's in general. I think it has to do with the engineering of the grip/tang/higher grip/etc. Even though I feel this way, I've continued my search to make sure i wasn't being blind to other guns. The only other possibility found was the Glock 17. This thread has been very helpful. I think I'll be getting the G17... First :) And hopefully not to far afterwards the SP-01.

Thanks for the thoughts voiced, regardless if they're opinion or fact.

jem375

I have a G17 and a CZ PO1 and if I had to choose between them to keep, it would be the CZ, this handgun is accurate....

Webleymkv

Well, I haven't shot a G17, but I have shot a G23, G36, and most recently a G34 so I think I've probably got a somewhat educated opinion on the matter. I prefer the CZ-75, specifically the full-sized 75B.

The CZ feels much more comfortable in my hand than any of the Glocks. For me, it really isn't the angle of the grip but rather the shape. The grip of a Glock if very wide and square and, in my hand, feels very reminiscent of a bar of Irish Spring. The CZ, on the other hand, has a more contoured grip that fits the shape of my hands better. While the G34 I shot wasn't as bad, all the Glocks I've fire seem to have a nasty habit of whacking the knuckle of my middle finger with the bottom of the trigger guard during recoil.

I also notice that the CZ seems to have significantly less muzzle rise than the Glock which allows me to make faster follow-up shots. I suspect that the slide-inside-the-frame design creates a lower bore axis and this combined with the increased weight of the CZ helps to damen recoil.

I find the controls of a CZ to be more to my liking. The Glock fans can preach about the "safety between your ears" until they're blue in the face, but I still feel a bit nervous about a short 5.5lb trigger (roughly the same as a GI spec 1911) without an active manual safety. I also like the fact that a CZ offers me a second-strike capability in the case of a misfire.

Finally, I just find the asthetics of a CZ to be more to my liking. Besides the general lines of the gun, a CZ is available in a variety of finishes and can have custom grips installed with nothing more than a screwdriver. A Glock, on the other hand, is much like a Ford Model T: you can have it from the factory in any color you like as long as it's black. Also, if you don't like the look or feel of a Glock's grip (I don't like either) then you either have to live with it or permanently modify your gun.

Amin Parker

As the op, this thread makes me a little sad as it was here that i had my last conversation with my very dear departed friend Mr Stephen Camp.

Donovan655

I own a G17 with about 1000 rds through it. It is unquestionably reliable. My personal accuracy results need some improvement.

I've shot two magazine through a CZ 75B and found it tremendously accurate.

Both are classics. Both are outstanding handguns. You have a tough choice.

Mr.Blue

In my opinion, the CZ 75 is the best 9mm ever made. I specifically love the SP-01, although it would be tough to ccw. For carry, I would choose the P-01.

rauchman

Currently own a Gen2 G17 among 4 other glocks. Also own a CZ75SA in .40.

For starters, let me say I among those that experienced a slide breach rupture on a Gen2 G19 from A LOT of dry firing w/out snap caps. Glock made good though and replaced the slide (but the basterds replaced all my stock, but very smoothed out trigger components....basterds!!!:mad:).

Also, I just read on 1911forum, that Stephen A. Camp has passed. Very very saddened to hear this news. I'm glad I stumbled into this thread and got to read some of his posts again.

Anyway....

From a purely shooting perspective, especially along the lines of shooting w/ a focus on accuracy, the CZ75 wins it. The sights are finer, which I think contributes to the accuracy. Also, mechanically, I think the slide running inside the frame helps accuracy too. My CZ is the SA (single action only) model. I do prefer the shorter and straight trigger as compared to the long DA pull and curved trigger of the DA/SA model. The pistol also feels great in the hand. Having said that, the trigger I'm running is stock and, while light, is not the smoothest and sort of double stages in it's pull though. Also, the pistol is not finished to the same level as a Glock or HK. Field strip the pistol and machining marks are all over the place. I've read that the weak point of the pistol is the slide stop as it can break. I have no idea what the recoil signature is like in 9mm, but I'm guessing it's very pleasant as the .40 has a relatively snappyless recoil signature for a .40.

Regarding the G17....

While it doesn't have the grace in feel of the CZ, it is a more accurate pistol than most give it credit for. Replacing the sights w/ something w/a finer sight picture is a must for accurate shooting. The stock Glocks sights, which are probably good for fast close in shooting, are too coarse when going for accuracy. Also, of all the pistol I own and have shot, the Glocks were the hardest to learn to shoot well. Having said that, I now (after LOTS of range time and dry firing), can shoot the G17 pretty decently in the accuracy department. I'm doing bests of 1" for 5rnds at 15 yards, averaging 1.5"-2". It also has a smooth light recoil pulse, similar to any fullsize 9mm pistol.

cz every single, stinkin time.
while the cz feels sturdy in your hand and has great balance and sight picture, the glock feels awkward and has poor balance. the cz trigger is short and light. the glock trigger is heavy and long. Besides, everyone knows the glock is the ugliest gun manufacturer short of hi-point. you look at them and just want to gag.

Walt Sherrill

I had a very refined Glock 17, but sold it. I later got a more-refined Glock 34.... (traded it for a tuned S&W M&P Pro, for someone who wanted to get back into Glocks for USPSA); I bought a Glock 35 to replace it. Those are the only three Glocks I've owned, and all were light, accurate, and reliable. I've shot my fastest qualifying rounds in IDPA shooting a Glock 34. (It may just have been a good day, but I'm consistently faster out of the holster to the first shot with a Glock and than with a CZ.)

I have had a number of CZs. Still have an 85 Combat, a well-gunsmithed 75B SA, and two clones: a Sphinx Compact, and a highly customized AT-84s. (Those last two are very fine guns, and exceptionally accurate. But they both cost far more than a standard CZ or Glock.) I find the CZ-based guns more fun to shoot.

I've seen CZs break. Slide stops and springs were the most common affliction, and extractor issues. They're not common problems but they happen. For about 6-7 years, I was a senior moderator on the old CZ Forum, and there we also heard of a few frames that had cracked (Arguably due to misaligned holes in the frame -- a production problem, not a design issue.) Very rare - and CZ replaced the guns. If there were as many CZs in the world as Glocks, we might hear of a few MORE CZ problems.

There are a LOT of Glocks in the world; not nearly as many CZs.

I've seen Glocks break. Saw one with frame rails that got damaged, and I've had a couple of spring breaks, myself (mostly trigger return springs.)

Which would be more reliable, over the long run? Hard to day. Maybe (but only maybe) the Glock.

I've never had problems with a Glock mag; I've had a lot of problems with CZ-compatible mags, but seldom with CZ Factory mags. And Glock mags are cheap. Very cheap.

Which trigger is better? Once it's broken in, the CZ in single-action trigger mode can be pretty darned good. But not always. The older Pre-B CZs were great, and once broken in, the triggers were like glass with a crisp break. But CZ made changes over the years, and the newer B model triggers often leave a lot to be desired. (The "camming" hammer in single-action mode is one issue that offends many.) (Some say, "just shoot'em", but having to shoot 500+ rounds to get a decent trigger is expensive; I'd rather pay a gunsmith to do it, and enjoy my shooting from the start.) And, if you're shooting from hammer down (or half-cocked), the first and second trigger pulls will be slightly different. This is a problem with a lot of guns, and you'll see it in the placement of the first two rounds in pistol competitions.

The CZ is more naturally pointing, and for some rapid shots that may matter. But, I've found that if I just use the sights, I can shoot the Glock as accurately as the CZ. The CZ might be better for point-shooting.

The Glock trigger will always be the same. And, they're generally not THAT bad! And for a very low cost, you can get a Ghost (or similar) trigger bar that greatly improves the trigger.

The Glock is lighter, and if you're carrying (concealed or not), that can be a big factor.

I think I prefer the Glock factory sights to the CZ sights, but that's a matter of personal preference. There is a good variety of after-market sights for both.

I like them both. There's no reason to defame one to build up the other, yet that seems to be the common practice on these types of forums. There are positives and negatives for both, and it's really a matter of PERSONAL PREFERENCE as to whether those positives and negatives matter for you.

Last edited:

triumph666

I have CZ and glock..both full size long slide models.....

Both are reliable to a tee.....

My gripe about the glock was having to change the trigger components, slide relase, mag catch, sights, guide rod&spring just to get the gun to where it feels good for me

The CZ i just shoot :)

VERY HYPOTHETICAL....my other thing is if there was some type of hostage situation the CZ i would trust to shoot someone in the eye...the glock i'd prob hit both criminal an hostage if i tried....my glock has a 3-4inch grouping at 50 feet whereas i've drawn smiley faces with my CZ's

jtb1967

I have multiple Glocks and CZ's as well. If I were a cop or headed into combat, I'd take one of my Glocks. They're simple to maintain and extremely reliable. But for general use, I prefer a hammer gun so I prefer CZ for a CCW.

C0untZer0

I held a Glock and CZ 75 side by side today - doing nothing but judging the triggers.

The trigger on the Glock is horrible. Even when I got past the slack - which was considerable, the pull after that was long and spongy. It felt one time like the trigger was inconsistent, but that could have been my muscles and not the trigger - but that's the trouble with a long spongy trigger pull like that - you are more prone to feel like the trigger is breaking unevenly.

The SA trigger on the CZ pistol I handled today was fairly good - I imagine it would get better with use.

The CZ felt better in my hand and pointed more naturally than the Glock.

I also realized today that if I bought a Glock I'd have to replace at least the rear sights which is another thing about Glocks I don't care for.

C0untZer0

Oh jeez - reading back through the other posts made me remember the magazine release - also remarkably bad on the Glock.

When I depressed the magazine release button on the CZ the mag "popped", there was an audible click and the magazine came out about a ¼ inch. When I depressed the mag release button on the Glock - nothing happened. So I pressed with my right thumb and used my left hand to pull the magazine out.

Are all Glocks like that?

I can't imagine having to pull a magazine free with your non-shooting hand.

amd6547

The Glock trigger is a thing of beauty, once you get used to it....I can do some very good accuracy work with this trigger, and shooting rapidly off the short reset is very fast.

stevieboy

I was talking to an employee of my local range today. They have both Glocks and CZs on their rental board and most first time shooters ask to fire a Glock because that's the gun they've heard so much about. However, those who fire a CZ rave about the gun.

Walt Sherrill

A later addition: I neglected to mention in my earlier comments about CZs that the CZ has one of the longest double-action trigger pulls of any modern semi-auto. It only matters if you're starting from full-hammer down.

That long pull can be offset somewhat by starting from the half-cock notch (which is SAFE with the CZ, given it's firing pin block design, which doesn't allow a discharge unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear.)

Note: the decocker models all decock to and start from the half-cock position, and those models have only one hammer hook, and it's safe. The long pull can also be improved a bit by using thinner grips, and there are some available.

Starting from the half-cock notch shortens the pull and lightens it by a pound or two, as well. There is also a "recurved" trigger will also shortens the pull, and most of the newer compact models come with that installed. Some don't like that trigger. It can be swapped out.s

A couple of my shooting buddies really wanted to buy and shoot CZs, but after trying them, found that they couldn't cope with the longer DA trigger. Small hands or short fingers just don't work well with some CZ models. It is NOT a problem with the SA models, of course.

I find the DAO models to be impossible -- for me. (I even had a DAO Sphinx, which is similar, and sold it quickly.) I prefer cocked and locked, and avoid the decocker models, but that's a personal preference.

By the way -- not ALL Glock mags drop free. Drop-free mags are made differently, and most of the new Glocks seem to come with the drop-free mags. But you have to be careful when buying extra, if that's what you want. Both styles are available. (I buy a lot of mags from CDNN, and they always specify whether they're drop-free or not, in their Glock listings.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.