CZ-75 P-01... opinions?

Sparks1957

Hi all,

After acquiring a CZ-83 recently, I'm looking at other CZ models as I've found them to be a really well-made, solid line of products. I like all-metal guns with DA/SA actions and decockers, just my preference.

The P-01 (in 9mm) has caught my eye particularly, and I'm curious to hear what any of you that own them think about them.

Also, it appears that the .22 conversion kit CZ makes works on the P-01; the mags are not a flush fit, but otherwise it's OK? I'd like to hear any experience you might have with the .22 conversion as well.

Thanks.

fext

Also, it appears that the .22 conversion kit CZ makes works on the P-01

I'm affraid not, the .22 Kadet kit is for fullsize CZ75. But I can be wrong, maybe ask a gunsmith. Or do you mean the fullsize CZ SP01 Tactical/Shadow?

About the police compact CZ P01 - I was shooting it and it was about as consistent as my fullsize CZ75 at some 15 - 20 meters. Fits my hand nicely (as any CZ).

armoredman

Been carrying a P-01 for years...great pistol. :) Only thing that ever made it burp was my bad first generation reloads. It rode my side for years as my authorized off duty sidearm. I trust it with my life. Some old posters I made with my P-01.

silverplatter.jpg

domestic1.jpg

VOTE.jpg

Wife likes hers, too. :)

Jopistolwithnewbaseplates.jpg

armoredman

Yes, the Kadet Kit will work on a P-01, BUT you need to use the PCR slidestop for it. Easy request when you order the Kit.

Here is the P-01 at the range with a good friend a few weeks ago, using the Kadet Kit on it.

DOConline.jpg

irish52084

I like the p-01 even if it is a sa/da de-cocker gun. I'm not a huge fan of the DA first pull, but that's my issue. I spent some time with a p-01 and a sig p226 side by side, and despite the 226 having a better SA pull, I shot the smaller, lighter p-01 better in Mozambique drills.

I own the p-01's bigger brother, the sp-01, and I love it. They both have essentially the same grip profile and that is my favorite feature. It allows a high and deep grip for me and since shooting well starts with a good grip, I think it lends itself to shooting well.

I will say the triggers on about half of the CZ's I've fired have left me initially unimpressed, they do smooth out substantially with a few hundred rounds. Or you could get lucky like my good friend and the trigger will be excellent out of the box. One day, when he's not looking, I'm gonna swap my sp-01 for his. I have something like 2k rounds through mine and my trigger isn't as nice as his was straight out of the box.

mumbo719

Carry it daily, practice with it a couple times per month usually and not a single hiccup.

Add a set of Trijicon or Meprolights sights and you are good to go.

If you haven't already check out the CZ Forums good group of people hang out there.

Walt Sherrill

Yes, the Kadet Kit will work on a P-01, BUT you need to use the PCR slidestop for it. Easy request when you order the Kit.

Another, similar change is required if you want to install the Kadet Kit on a .40 CZ-75B.

A 9mm (standard, full-size 75B) slide stop is also required, when the Kadet Kit is used on a .40 full-size gun. (The part of the stop that is pushed up by the magazine follower doesn't reach in far enough to be caught by the Kadet magazine follower when mounted on a .40 frame, using the .40 slide stop.)

The same may be true if you have a .40 compact model of the CZ: get the slide stop for the 9mm version of the same gun.

CZ will generally provide the needed stop without charge, if you call them. I don't know if proof of purchase is needed for the "free" stop... I'd expect them to ask.

Zhillsauditor

I use my kadet kit on my P-01 without any changes. The only difference I know of is that the slide does not lock back on the last round.

Walt Sherrill

And the reason the slide doesn't lock back is that the slide stop isn't properly engaged by the follower of the magazine. That's why a different slide stop is needed...

Zhillsauditor

>That's why a different slide stop is needed...

What kinds of failures should I be expecting in the future without the needed slide stop? I haven't had any in my five years of shooting it like that, but maybe I am damaging the gun?

IMightBeWrong

They rock. The only reason I sold the P-01 I had was the trigger. It's got the long reset that so many other DA/SA autos suffer from. I just don't shoot as well with them as SA only or Striker Fired pistols with the exception of SIGs and the PPK which have crazy nice DA/SA triggers.

Walt Sherrill

What kinds of failures should I be expecting in the future without the needed slide stop? I haven't had any in my five years of shooting it like that, but maybe I am damaging the gun?

The only failure you're likely to experience is the one already mentioned: a failure to lock back the slide when the Kadet Kit is mounted.

You'd use the new slide stop ONLY when you use the Kadet Kit. You use the regular slide stop when the standard slide is installed.

If the slide not locking back isn't a concern, there's nothing to fix.

Zhillsauditor

>If the slide not locking back isn't a concern, there's nothing to fix.

That's what I thought, and agrees with my experience as I posted originally.

armoredman

Call 1-800-955-4486 and see if you can get a PCR slidestop, if you want - can't hurt to ask. Press 2 for parts and ask Matt or Adam.

Sparks1957

The reviews look pretty positive so far ;)

I just pulled the trigger on a reloading setup, but the CZ P-01 will probably be the next handgun acquisition a few weeks down the line. Keep the reviews coming... it will keep me going in the meantime.

I like the " domestic tranquility" poster, armoredman... nice one.