CZ 70 Pistol

Sid

There is a gun show coming up this weekend and I am thinking of getting one of these pistols. I would like to know if there are any specific problems with them. A guy at my club said there was trouble with the magazines feeding properly and that new mags were almost impossible to find. Please enlighten me. TIA

Walt Sherrill

They're nothing to get excited about. At one time their chief virtue was their low price.

The CZ-50 is almost identical, but the CZ-70 supposedly has slightly better metal, and a slightly different slide lock mechanism. Mags are a big problem, and hard to find. (You can now get mag springs from Wolff, I think.)

The CZ-50/CZ-70 are both relatively big and heavy for the caliber. If you're thinking about using one for concealed carry, a number of the small .32 (NAA, Kel-Tec, for example) are arguably better guns.

Ammo is hard to find, and relatively expensive. For a bit more $, a Makarov or a CZ-82 would be a better choice -- and a lot more firepower.

Mrgunsngear

I've got one and it's very solid but Walt's comments are correct. For defensive use the '82's the way to go. If you just want a cool gun though nothing wrong with the '70.

I bought mine some years ago for $132 out the door.

That bought me:

1. An unbelievably heavy double action trigger pull, probably 15 to 18 pounds.

2. LOTS of SHARP edges.

3. Excellent reliability.

4. Very passable accuracy.

I've tried to figure out a way to reduce the trigger pull without completely messing with the gun's reliability, but I've been very hesitant to start snipping coils off the hammer spring or polishing parts given that replacements can be hard to find.

AK103K

I got mine back around the time Mike got his, if you go by price, as thats about what I paid for mine.

Ive had pretty much the same experience as others have posted.

DA trigger on mine is basically a "two finger" pull, and near impossible to do one handed, and if you do get it to go, youre not likely to hit anything.

SA trigger is very nice, and accuracy shooting the gun that way is very good.

I picked up a replacement mainspring and tried clipping it to reduce the DA pull, with no luck. The only thing good to come of it, was I found a little clip (it fell out during take down :)) that apparently kept the mag from falling free when you release it. I didnt put it back, and the mags now drop free.

Mags were "the" issue with mine, the one that came with it, and others I got later. After a lot of research and trying some suggested mods to the mags, I finally figured out it was just the springs. Wolff does have springs for them, and thats where I got them. Once I changed them out, the gun ran fine. Before that, it would only function with 2-3 rounds in the mag.

I got extra mags from Marstar out of Canada for around $25/ea. if I remember right. They claimed they were "new" but with storage/handling marks, but they didnt really look "new" when I got them, and they had the same issues with the springs.

I replaced the 70 grips with 50 grips, as I prefer their look and how the gun feels in my hand.

Ibmikey

Mine has a polished blue slide with duracoat OD frame to be different. As noted above, for a .32 they are big and clumsy with sharp edges and strange controls but they are fun to shoot. I bought mine for $99. And a 50 for $110. A few years back, both came with a holster but no extra mag. I paid $18. For a mag and thought it was a rip at the time.
You will like the pistol but a concealed carry gun it is not. (Remember, heavy, caliber, controls).

The benefit to their being heavy?

Recoil is virtually non existent.

OK, it's there, but you have to work at noticing it.

Kevin_d77

I got one just because. It looked like it had never been shot. Came w 2 mags, holster, original box and signed/dated test target for like $179 back when Plouffe got his thru Aim Surplus. It's fun to shoot. Recoil is nothing. But like everyone else said, heavy DA and heavy to carry. I like it though.

I also got the Polish Pounder P64 makarov. Talk about a heavy DA and punishing recoil on the Web of your hand. Still a cool gun though.

NotMeNotYou

I've had a vz50, essentially the same pistol, for more than 20 years. $69.99 OTD. It came with 1 very tired vz 70 mag(they are the same except for # of witness holes, follower shape & pinkie rest). Finally spent $34 on a new mag from Ammoclip.com. Look for the the thread on "CZ 50 - jam o matic?" And plan on stating your cycle S/A...

Great fun, but empty weight is the same as my P-6.

Last edited:

Kev

Yeah
That Jam-O-matic is my thread
Im going to have to spend the $ on a mag and see what happens.
I just have too many other guns to shoot at the moment. :p

AK103K

Unless the mag looks damaged, Id try new springs before anything else. For me, that was an instant, and fairly cheap fix.

NotMeNotYou

"I have More Than I Need, But Not As Many As I Want"

"Pistols Are For Fighting Your Way To A Real Gun" Uncle Donald USMC'48-'54

JimmyR

I had one for a while, and they aren't bad, but mine was definitely heavy for it's caliber, kinda uncomfortable to grip, and a DA trigger that can cause you to break a sweat. It was designed as a European military/police sidearm, and it served that purpose. Mine also would not even think about cycling hollow point ammo, if that makes a difference for you.

leadcounsel

I picked up a nice CZ70 for practically nothing, and soon gifted it away. I never bothered taking it to the range or firing it. So I wouldn't spent much on one.

As others noted, it will serve nearly no real purpose in any gun collection, other than something to look at for a true collector.

First, the ammunition is rare and expensive. I spent more on a box of ammo for the .32 than I did for my .40 caliber, which is a legit defense gun.

Next, the mags are rare and expensive. And you need good mags to make the gun run.

Next, the gun is big and heavy for a small caliber.

The small caliber makes it a poor choice for self defense and the price of the ammo makes it impractical as a range toy or for self defense training.

Controls are less than ideal.

Overall, very poor 'bang for your buck' if you are frugal or price sensitive.

"First, the ammunition is rare and expensive."

Rare, not really. I've picked up .32 ACP at Wal Mart.

Expensive? Yeah, it tends to be pretty spendy.

AK103K

Our local Walmart had about half a dozen boxes of .32 when I was there last week, and I believe it was $25 a box of 50 for FMJ's.

Compared to what I was paying for Winchester Silvertips for my Seecamps back before the craziness, that now seems a little excessive, but then again, everything has gone up, and some things, like .32 and .380 seem to bring a bit more of a premium. Then again, with the popularity of the smaller guns these days, Im surprised they arent more.

Hey, at least they have .32's, try finding .380's. I think theyre hiding them in the back with the .22's. :)

leadcounsel

I said "rare" because most people don't own a .32, and probably only 1/2 of gun stores have any in stock (or more than a couple boxes, so it quickly sells out), and many places online either don't have it, or have a tiny selection.

At a recent gunshow, I went to several huge ammunition vendors before I found a vender that had exactly TWO boxes of high priced hollowpoint ammo. I bought both boxes for more than the price of .40 caliber hollowpoint ammo, which I gifted with the pistol.

That to me qualifies as "rare."

And yes, expensive.

carguychris

At the risk of prolonging this thread hijack, .32ACP ammo WAS readily available by mail-order for $12-$18 a box before the ammo panic cleaned out all of the online vendors. IOW it wasn't as cheap as 9mm, but was about on par with .380ACP.

I just bought a bunch of it at a LGS for $13/50rds, but it was on sale because the vendor fulfilled the store's backorder all at once, and they wound up with too much! :)

FWIW the Winchester ammo that Wally World sells for ~$24/50rds is notorious crap; not only is it overpriced, it's loaded too weak to consistently cycle many older and stiffly-sprung European automatics, which, as I've heard, includes the CZ 50 & 70. (I've never owned one of these pistols; this part is secondhand, but I have firsthand experience with its unreliability in a Walther and an FN Browning.)

The ideal choice is a European brand- Prvi Partizan, S&B, Fiocchi, or GECO. (FYI the Herter's-branded .32ACP sold at Cabela's is made by S&B.) In my experience, PMC from Korea is also pretty good.

AK103K

Ive mostly bought .32's online, and never had any problems finding it, nor was it all that expensive, but that was before the panic. Then again these days, everything in demand can be tough to find, but it has been better of late. I bought a bunch when it was cheaper, so I havent had to buy now with the bloated prices. Did the same with .380's.

The .32's I saw at Walmart were Remingtons, and were around $25 a box. These days, our local Walmart seems well stocked for ammo in general, even .22's on a fairly regular basis, although they do ration them. Their 100 round 9mm value packs are still one of the better deals, and only $26/100. They were only $6 cheaper prior to the panic. Still, thats case price by the box, and no shipping.

One thing I have noticed all along, with any of them, is the premium ammo is all pretty much the same price for most calibers, and always has been. Online, the prices are usually better and usually for 50 round boxes, not the 20 rounders the shops are usually peddling for about the same money.

Personally, I cant remember ever really finding any "deals" on ammo at gun shows. The internet so far, has always been the best bet, especially when you buy in bulk, and that still seems to be the case.

I think for guns like the CZ50/70's, and a few of the other military surplus guns in calibers like .32, it boils down to if you shoot them enough for them to be economical. If you buy by the box, things seem a lot more expensive, than if you buy it by the case, and/or reload. Ive had a number of .32's over the years, and still do, and actually prefer it over .380, as I dont think the difference in performance is really all that much, and the .32's are usually easier to shoot well with, especially in the smaller guns. In the larger guns, like the CZ's, they are very pleasant to shoot, and mine have all been quite accurate.

"The .32's I saw at Walmart were Remingtons, and were around $25 a box."

I got, IIRC, 3 boxes of Remington at Wal Mart for.... $16-$18 a box or there abouts, in between Panicky Squirrel Rodeos (PSR) 1 and 2.

The reason it's hard to find right now is because when PSR 2 hit, ammo companies again started concentrating all production on the rounds that had the highest demand.

Guns chambered in .32 ACP are still being made both domestically and overseas, and show decent sales numbers. All of the major US and European manufacturers still list the .32 ACP as a production cartridge.

Prior to PSR 1 kicking off and totally screwing up production and supply/demand in this country, every gun I frequented, including a couple of small ones in Pennsylvania, carried at least 1 brand of .32.

The major ammo dealers at gun shows also carried .32, normally several different brands.

Yes, right now that's changed. PSRs 1 and 2 have changed a LOT of things. But, the only reason why .32 is "rare" right now is the same reason why .22 Long Rifle is "rare" right now -- market dynamics.