CZ 100

I've found that most things gun-related are not nearly as awful/awesome as sold on gun forums.

Glock ergonomics are not that blocky. The GP-100 trigger is not that heavy. The HK Mark 23 is not that huge. And apparently the CZ-100 trigger is not that awful.

It's almost like gun guys like to needle each other... but that's just crazy talk.

Cyanide971

I've found that most things gun-related are not nearly as awful/awesome as sold on gun forums.

Glock ergonomics are not that blocky. The GP-100 trigger is not that heavy. The HK Mark 23 is not that huge. And apparently the CZ-100 trigger is not that awful.

It's almost like gun guys like to needle each other... but that's just crazy talk.
Hitting a tiny nail with a big sledgehammer George! [emoji1]

I was doing some dry firing earlier this morning and without a doubt, my three fastest pistols doing double- and triple-taps with are the CZ 100, followed by the Beretta 8000D, and Grand Power P1 Mk7. Hmmmmm......

I feel like I'm shooting a toy gun with this thing. That is probably the easiest way to describe it.

Walt Sherrill

Independent George said:

Nearly all opinions and judgments on these sort of topics are subjective -- but generally based on first-hand experience. Until you try the CZ-100 trigger, any input you add to the discussion, while also subjective, is based solely on other subjective responses and not first-hand experience. Taking that approach is a bit like working out an "average" of "averages": you can do it, but others can't put a lot of faith in the result.

What is apparent to YOU isn't apparent to many others.

The CZ-100 has no hammer, and uses a unique CZ-style DAO striker (which they call a firing pin). Each shot requires a full, moderately long and moderately heavy trigger pull. Prior slide movement (as is the practice with many other striker-fired poly guns) does nothing to fully or partially pre-tension the spring that powers the striker/firing pin mechanism.

CZ discontinued the design. CZ's subsequent subsequent poly-framed guns (the RAMI and the P-07/P-09) use two totally different hammer-fired designs. CZ has chucked, at least for the moment, the CZ-100's hamerless approach to cartridge ignition.

CZ moved on, as did many (arguably nearly all) CZ-100 owners who bought the guns new. I'm sure there are still owners out there with CZ-100s setting in gun safes, drawers, or trucks because they can't find buyers. And there are probably others who have kept their CZ-100s, because they are still FUNCTIONAL firearms.**

But I'll bet darned few CZ-100 owners take their CZ-100s to the range just for the fun of it... Maybe that trigger really IS THAT awful?

**The CZ-100s are a bit like the S&W Sigmas and later S&W models based on that same S&W design -- renowned*** for their triggers. The big difference is that the SIGMA triggers can be greatly improved by S&W gunsmiths when they're returned to the factory for trigger work.

***"Renowned" was a bit of sarcasm, which may have been too subtle. That said, I've handled a newer SIGMA-type S&W that has had trigger work done, and it was not really that bad. Lighter and crisper, to be sure.​

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

Cyanide971 said:
I was doing some dry firing earlier this morning and without a doubt, my three fastest pistols doing double- and triple-taps with are the CZ 100, followed by the Beretta 8000D, and Grand Power P1 Mk7. Hmmmmm......

Dry-firing to simulate double- and triple-taps isn't the same as doing a double- or triple-tap with live ammo -- especially when one of those guns (the P1) is DA/SA . Try it with ammo and a shot timer... and compare the targets. (Someone probably has a shot-timer at your range, if you don't.)

With the P1, the slide cocks the hammer for the second and subsequent shots, and the trigger pull will be slightly lighter and require a bit less effort. (The DA/SA transition actually bothers some folks -- so it may be a real-world issue. But that difference can't be simulated in the comparison you did above.)

The 8000D and CZ-100 are both DAO and that might be a more valid comparison. Try your test/drill again with a dime or quarter laying flat on the front of each slide. And then pull the trigger as quickly as you can without dislodging the coin. I suspect you'll see a bigger difference. That long, heavy pull doesn't have to matter much if you can take time to carefully line up your shots...but it can affect your results when trying to fire rapidly. (Of course, it shouldn't...:))

Last edited:

lee n. field

Absolutely. I've learned to discount, or at least look with a jaundiced eye at, much gunboard advice.

Gunboards are inhabited with a whole bunch of special snowflakes, with exacting "must have" requirements.

If my CZ-100 were reliable, and didn't break three times in the 5 year warranty, I might still have it.

CZ moved on, as did many (arguably nearly all) CZ-100 owners who bought the guns new.

When I decided that mine needed to be re-homed, the store I bought it from wouldn't take it in trade. "Any CZ except that one."

Cyanide971

Good points! No, my range doesn't have a timer, they don't mind rapid fire if done about one shot per second but to actually get in there and do true double and triple taps is frowned upon :-(

Unfortunately I don't get to shoot as often as I would like so I do extensive dry fire practice.

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

Try the coin trick. That's a good way to know whether you're mastering the trigger or whether it's mastering you. Cheap, good, dry-fire practice..

Cyanide971

Definitely Walt, that is great training. I used to do that when I shot competition years ago (especially in the offhand position), but that was a 14# .22LR. I'm very familiar with DA/SA transition, carried & shot that way for years, then switched to DAO long before ever trying a striker-fire, consistent lighter trigger pull. My apologies for the confusion, with my Grand Power I dry fire it DA (love that trigger), though I know live fire it switches to SA. That's another one I'd love to have in DAO (if that variant would ever get imported), but that's a whole different story altogether...

Anyway, I see what y'all have said about the slick, smooth grip sides, so stippling is definitely on the horizon. That and a couple of 13-rd mags! Right now using my P-07 holster, as it gives a very good, snug hold, so I'm not worried about finding another holster at present time.

Walt, you mentioned my 8000D; what a weight difference between these two. Even loaded the 100 is lighter than the empty Beretta (but it still feels great in my hand, just a lot chunkier). Perhaps I'll have to add a PX4 Type D in the future. [emoji6]

Here's my next quick group from earlier this afternoon, 10 shots each at 7, 10, 15, and 20 yards. Getting it tightened up a little bit!
070e3a33ca00525db4fab16ea7cebe69.jpg

Last edited:

WVsig

I will be honest, higher than I wanted to pay! I had a leading bid of 250 on it for the longest time, then someone came along and made me jump my final bid to 301 for the win. Including shipping, transfer fee, and the extra mag I ordered, my grand total is $390 for everything combined.

+

Honestly I do not think that the forums or the internet got this one wrong. CZ is the one who got it wrong. These are a bad design which resulted in a bad gun. Yes you might be able to shoot it reasonably well with some practice but you would have to ask yourself why when there are so many good guns out there. I am not trying to bash the OP but this one is a stinker. It is not about needling it is about the gun.

I could see taking one of these if you could get it for say $200 just for curiosity but at $390 there are so many guns that you can get that are excellent. You can get a LNIB Beretta 92s for less. I paid just a bit more than that for a PPQ M1 with 4 mags LNIB, never fired. The list goes on and on. :cool: One has to ask why....?

But like I said if you are happy we are happy. :eek:

Cyanide971

WVSig, thanks! I'm very happy with it, and please, no worries about bashing me. Even if ya were (or anyone else), y'all are entitled to your opinion.

I personally love the pistol, but I can see and understand why it is despised. As for other good guns out there, I've got a few myself, but as of late am (obviously) drawn to my new acquisition. I don't know what else to say. But yes, happy, happy, happy! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

For all who may not know just how much overtravel the CZ 100 has, here ya go. From top to bottom, this is the start position, when the pistol actually fires, and finally the excessive overtravel everybody is talking about.
73831c4899c3b2d884120cb0cda0f2c4.jpg

Here's a few pics showing it in my hand:
3befa01239ff0e81231da15acca4dd08.jpg

01da1461db19fdf45f83c8d3a26b5215.jpg

26bfb3c71d054a58150c2f070c731620.jpg

68cba05573a29b61677af96fe982a22b.jpg

Last edited:

Cyanide971

My local gunsmith contacted me a little while ago with pictures of the stipple job on my first CZ 100. What do you guys think? I think it looks outfreakinstanding!

Before:

ff77b1b1d465ae7dee077511757e9ef7.jpg

After:

c25089fd9fbf6162e6481ded2becc860.jpg

3cd5a5f22495a3bfb1098535236961ea.jpg

9531a713aeb28ea8d902eb57828c0576.jpg

7cb90afea5fc0970396bc7eaf4912d4b.jpg

Next up will be my other CZ 100 (fixed sight model) and my PX4 D.

[emoji16]

Walt Sherrill

Cyanide971 said:
What do you guys think? I think it looks outfreakinstanding!

The CZ-100's looks were never a problem. And their ergonomics were great. It was CZ's first effort at a striker-fired gun, and their first attempt to use a polymer frame.

CZ upgraded the CZ100 to the CZ100B for export to the U.S. (hence the adjustable sights, which were needed to meet the "points" requirements for import.) It was a true DAO gun that didn't rely on the slide to partially tension the striker springs.

Had they used the slide, to tension the striker spring, as is done with MOST striker fired guns, it would probably have given the gun a much better trigger. (If CZ does a striker-fired gun in the future, I'll bet they do just that: use the slide to partially or fully tension the striker spring, ala Glock or XD, etc.)

The CZ-100 was CZ's unique first try at a DAO Striker-fired trigger, and I'd argue THAT striker design is arguably what led to the model's downfall, in that there's no easy way to improve the trigger through gunsmithing. Walther did a much better job with the original P99 which has a true DAO striker that was/is quite nice.

If I had a CZ-100, I'd be concerned about parts availability -- short of getting another gun and cannibalizing it. Maybe Numrich?

I've had two CZ-100s, a 9mm and a .40 -- and I'd much rather have one of the notorious S&W SD9s and SD40s, as those S&W triggers CAN be improved -- and once improved are pretty good guns.

What do I think? Looks good, but looks were never an issue. I think that any money spent on a CZ-100 is more good money spent after bad. I know I'm repeating myself from this and other discussions about the CZ-100, but so are you.

I know you like your CZ-100 -- but given that you also have a CZ P-07, I know which of those two CZs I'd be shooting most often. (I have a great Ruger SR9c and a P-07, and I'm now trying to decide which will become my carry gun... It's not an easy decision.)

Cyanide971

Thanks Walt, and yes, I've another P-07 (Duty) to go with my pair of CZ 100's, though currently you'll still find one of the 100's in my holster more than anything else (right now my PW Arms imported fixed sight model).

That might change however, depending on how well the XDM 3.8 Compact performs for me. Like I mentioned in my other post concerning it, it's grip reminds me a lot of how the CZ 100 is concerning the sweep of the backstrap and how well it fits my hand.

I just recently got rid of my SR9C. Was a very good shooter, but between it and the P-07 it's no contest.