CZ 100

Cyanide971

Those who've read my posts know I'm an oddball, as I prefer shooting my CZ's in DA and I like true, self-cocking, revolver-style DAO models of certain pistols; namely ones I owned in the past such as the Beretta 96D and Ruger P95DAO, and now I have a Beretta Cougar 8000D on the way. Possibly later on a PX4 D and Sig P250 may eventually join the collection, which is presently undergoing a major overhaul.

The old CZ 100 looks like a dream come true for me since I doubt I'll ever see a DAO P-01 and/or P-07. Roughly identical in size to the two aforementioned models and a slim profile for CC'ing, with exception of the sharp edges.

Those who speak from experience actually handling, shooting, and owning the 100, please tell the blunt, honest truth. Is the trigger truly as bad as the reports and reviews make/made it out to be? It seems that for every one or two shooters that like them, there are 10 to 15 that just rip the pistol apart, and all because of the trigger.

I'm just having a very difficult time trying to wrap my head around how bad it can be, especially if it is a 10-pound pull as the specs list. Everyone mentions that it is a long pull. But when I'm looking at a side angle shot, the trigger looks like it is in the same forward position as any other DA/DAO pistol. More specifically, concerning length from start position to where the trigger would meet it's farthest rearmost position all the way back.

Last edited:

Pico

CZ-100

This pistol had the best feel in my hand of any pistol I ever picked up. I bought a CZ-75 BD instead which I no longer own. I did not shoot it but after a couple of dry fires (it's been a while) and I recall a longgggg but steady trigger pull. The piece on top of the slide is also there so you can rack the slide one-handed.

I saw one in .40 a few years ago in a gun show for about $285 and I wish I had gotten it. I was not looking for a .40 at the time.

There was a CZ-110 which had a SA trigger and decocker but it was not imported here despite pleas from CZ fans for years. Walt may have more background.

Pico

Walt Sherrill

Those who speak from experience actually handling, shooting, and owning the 100, please tell the blunt, honest truth. Is the trigger truly as bad as the reports and reviews make/made it out to be? It seems that for every one or two shooters that like them, there are 10 to 15 that just rip the pistol apart, and all because of the trigger.

I've owned both a 9mm and .40 CZ100. Terrible trigger that can't easily be improved. (CZ made the 110, for use in Europe, and its reputation was much better.)

When I was a moderator on the old CZ Forum, many years back, a few people claimed to have improved the trigger... most of us, who owned or shot them, were skeptical. You might find something on this topic on the forum:http://www.czfirearms.us

I'm a big fan of CZs, but not this particular model. (I don't remember the details, but I think the mags are NOT compatible with other CZ models, which may make finding replacements difficult.)

doofus47

The trigger is bad straight out of the box

There's no denying this.
Unadjusted, the trigger pull is gritty and the overtravel requires a passport stamp with each trigger pull. The reset is long.
That said, my .40 cz100 fits my hand better than any other pistol I've ever picked up. It was the first double stack that ever worked for me. Also, the mechanism is so caveman simple that I believe it to be a plus in dirty environments. So, I put in the time to work on the trigger.
1. I followed the advice of several of the threads on the cz100 forum (http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=17.0) to improve the pull. It's now smooth, stacks just before the break and breaks clean and predictably every time. The pull is nowhere near 10#.
2. I also worked with a sheet of sand paper to increase tolerances between the frame and the moving parts.
3. I super glued an eraser nub behind the trigger to stop the over travel.

The reset is still long, but it's a very accurate, light pistol with a short barrel and I trust it enough to carry it in the field with me when I'm hunting.

lee n. field

Those who speak from experience actually handling, shooting, and owning the 100,

I owned one from 2001-6 (roughly).

please tell the blunt, honest truth. Is the trigger truly as bad as the reports and reviews make/made it out to be? It seems that for every one or two shooters that like them, there are 10 to 15 that just rip the pistol apart, and all because of the trigger.

The trigger is that bad. There's polishing and such you can do, but I never found it to work all that well, consistantly.

all because of the trigger.

"But wait, there's more!"

Mine broke three times under warranty. 1) I took it to a class, and it started malfing very badly about round 275. CZUSA replaced some stuff. 2) a chunk of the trigger mechanism housing broke & 3) the firing pin block vanished. Poof, there's this hole in the bottom of my slide.

Ejection was pretty random. It beat up brass badly. This was a .40.

I tried, I really did, but it never made it off probation. I eventually traded it and a Taurus 66 that had developed an intermittant problem, straight up for an XD40. 2 for 1, and I think I came out ahead.

Last edited:

Cyanide971

Thanks for the answers! If there are more of you out there with personal experience then please share it.

Trying to imagine just how bad the trigger pull can be from what you guys are telling me because I have messed with a VP70 before, and that was by far the worst trigger pull I have personally ever experienced. Runner up to that would be the single-action trigger on the Taurus Millennium G2 PT-111 I briefly owned.

lee n. field

If I encountered another one, and I could get it cheap (say, >=$200), I might, just to mess with. And in 9mm. Mine might have been just not up to it, strength wise, for .40.

Pico

In the movies

In Kick Ass 2, the guy in the van was carrying a CZ-100 and Hit Girl got it away from him and pointed it back at him. This was at about 1 hrs 20 mins in the movie.

Not a big deal but one of the few times one has been used in a movie.

Pico

Walt Sherrill

I think the CZ-100 in .40 is ported, too... and that is a consideration... I don't like ported guns, and I don't think for 9mm or .40 it really does much to change felt recoil or muzzle flip.

doofus47

walt sherrill
I don't like ported guns, and I don't think for 9mm or .40 it really does much to change felt recoil or muzzle flip
Yes, the 40 is ported. I think it does help as my other 40s all feel a bit snappier in comparison. That said, the long reset on the CZ100 makes time to re-acquire the target and fire a second shot about the same as my other 40s.

Cyanide971

Well, here goes nothin'! I picked one up on GB a little while ago, and will see how it is once I get back home in another week or so. Gonna be interesting, and be "Love/Hate" I'm sure!

I'll post better pics after I take delivery of it, as well as adding a few more combos in my "Pistol Comparison" thread.
72602111e184a056e46cef2bbe54d792.jpg

f7e8406db7307075c567150f3c476681.jpg

Last edited:

Cyanide971

I'd be interested to hear how that works for you.

What did this one cost?
I will be honest, higher than I wanted to pay! I had a leading bid of 250 on it for the longest time, then someone came along and made me jump my final bid to 301 for the win. Including shipping, transfer fee, and the extra mag I ordered, my grand total is $390 for everything combined.

Not the greatest but, sometimes you make out, sometimes you don't. I guess I can't complain considering some of the other steals I have gotten in the past!

mbott

Walt said:

I think the CZ-100 in .40 is ported, too... and that is a consideration... I don't like ported guns, and I don't think for 9mm or .40 it really does much to change felt recoil or muzzle flip.

I have had the .40 for quite a few years now and shoot it semi-regularly. I've never found the muzzle flip or recoil to be that bad. The trigger? You just have to get used to it. :)

--
Mike

SouthpawShootr

I had one many years ago. I put just under 1000 rounds through it. Very reliable. I don't recall it malfunctioning. Very accurate. And aside from the AMT .45 Backup, the worst trigger I have ever felt. With practice, it could be controlled. I found myself taking it to the range less and less and I really wanted a 4 inch 686 that a dealer had at a local show, so it became trading fodder.

Cyanide971

6f5c817ff2756bfd3617b665a5c74cca.jpg

WOW! Okay either I'm an oddball or I have one of the best triggers on any CZ 100 ever made hahahahahaha! I arrived at my LGS a few minutes too late to actually take delivery yesterday, as they already had the computers and everything shut down but, they at least let me handle it and to be quite honest, I was very impressed.

Yes, y'all heard correctly, I am impressed. I really don't see why all the negativity over the trigger. I dry fired mine about 30 times in the store and yes, the trigger pull is long and though I see exactly why the complaint of overtravel, it is very smooth and doesn't seem to be any longer of a pull than any other true double action handgun. Dare I say it is both smoother and lighter feeling than my Beretta 8000 D that I had right beside it.

The other thing I noticed was how small this pistol feels in my hand. Even though it is comparatively identical in size to the P-01 & P-07, it sure seems smaller and lighter. After firing the first 55 rounds through it earlier, I will most likely get the grip stippled on the sides to compliment the front and back gripping lugs/checkering, because I can honestly see a strong possibility of me using this as EDC! As a matter of fact, after my limited, rushed range session earlier, it went on my side and has been there ever since. It fits nicely in the Winthrop IWB holster I have for my P-07...

I am going to have to say that I wonder if somehow, someway the previous owner did any work smoothing out the trigger group? The average of three pulls on a Lyman digital scale was 8.6#. Either it was worked on or, I'm just very in tune with firing in DA with a heavier trigger pull.

Not the greatest grouping, but I really do like this thing! I didn't have lots of time for the range today, but here's my first 30 shots; 10 each @ 7, 10, and 15 yards:
5c9304713b637a37d6c0f19c74fc18c7.jpg

Then the next 25 from 7 and 10 yards:
f2e915025e3790f14a31ae696d24922f.jpg

Comparison pics coming soon....

lee n. field

Yes, y'all heard correctly, I am impressed. I really don't see why all the negativity over the trigger. I dry fired mine about 30 times in the store and yes, the trigger pull is long and though I see exactly why the complaint of overtravel, it is very smooth and doesn't seem to be any longer of a pull than any other true double action handgun. Dare I say it is both smoother and lighter feeling than my Beretta 8000 D that I had right beside it.

What I found, and you may find, is that the trigger pull felt different, from one field strip to the next.

I wonder if somehow, someway the previous owner did any work smoothing out the trigger group?

What I remember being recommended, was polishing wherever metal rubbed against metal on the trigger bar and disconnector. Pretty much the standard stuff you'd do to clean up a Glock trigger.

Last edited:

Pico

Thanks for the test

I don't remember anyone ever testing and reporting on one of these. Thanks for the real world data.

Pico