CVA Plainsman

wogpotter

They are burned through (& shredded as well). I'd suggest backing the charge off, changing the patch lube & trying again. If all else fails you need a card or fiber wad between the PRB & the charge.
This is pretty much what you're looking for, maybe not so brown that's my lube doing that not rust.:eek:
DSCF8849_zpsfd81a3af.jpg

deerslayer303

Thanks Wogpotter. Those were those .010 Oxyoke prelubed precut patches. I think I'll get some ticking maybe .015 and try some beez, parrafin, mutton tallow lube I have made up. That load was only 70grs of FFg KIK Black. Do you think this is the reason the group was so spread out? I mean some of it could have been the crappy sights that I couldn't see to well too.

On another note that .490 ball at 50 yards went slam through the 1X6 pine board the target was on, through a big round hay bale and lodged into the sparkleberry tree behind it. I was in aw by that.

Pahoo

Ouch !!

What does this mean??
During shoots, I routinely read patches as well as Sabots. I really do not see a problem with your shot string but I'd say your .010 patch doesn't like your 70grns. Another possibility is that your rifling may be cutting the patches, on loading but this is somewhat rare. Step up to that .015 and see how that performs.
YES, cutting patches will effect your accuracy. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

B.L.E.

Cut? I would say those patches were blown. Try a .495 ball instead of a .490. At least you need thicker patches, .015 or maybe even .020. A loose fitting load will allow too much gas to blow by and that's what blows the patches. Accuracy will be dismal to non-existent.

When everything is right, a patched roundball can be amazingly accurate.

042.jpg

This was shot at 25 yards but the rifle was held offhand, no rest, so it reflects my ability to shoot as much as the rifle's accuracy. From a rest, it will cut cloverleaf groups at 50 yards.

wogpotter

OK, I wouldn't back off the 70 Gr. That's one of my rifle's favorite loads. .50 cal CVA is GTG up to 95 Gr according to CVA's tables so you're being pretty mild with 70.

B.L.E.

With .50 caliber patched round balls, I find that accuracy decreases if I go under 70 grains. I usually shoot 80 grains FFg for my target loads.

deerslayer303

I can't wait to get some ticking and get it back out there. I'm gonna try some .015 and some a little thicker. Then I'm gonna fire groups with 70, 75, and 80 grs. and see what happens. I'll see how I like the painted sights, if that don't work I gotta figure out how to measure the sights dovetails so I can maybe get a set of Lyman sights. They have a set that they say fits a 360 dovetail and they fit most European Rifles. I appreciate all the help and advice guys.

Captchee

must be something with your Barrel B.L.E
my wife shoots 35 grains in her 50 for target shooting. i also know alot of other folks who shoot no more the 45 grains for targets

wogpotter

They are all individuals. I can get plinking accuracy with 65 Gr of FFg, or a bit more wallop with 70. Anything over that groups start opening up.

BerdanSS

My TC renegade shoots best with a 75gr powder charge. But still does good with more. It doesn't start getting squirrely till you hit 90grs. I shoot a .490 round ball most of the time with a .015 pillow tick patch. Lubed with?......you guessed it, Trappers Mink oil tallow ;) or, Tompson Center Wonder Goo in a pinch.

100 yards at Friendship off a sandbag. 75grs, .490 with .015 patch

It does have a Globe front sight and Williams rear though :D

deerslayer303

That's an accurate load for sure you have there Berdan. I'll get this cheap ball slinger running good I'm sure. Thats the fun part is figuring out these smokers personality. I went and got some patches today. I couldnt find any ticking so I picked up some .015 prelubed cotton, which I really didn't want. I'm going to the fabric shop tomorrow and just buy some pillow ticking. I'm just going to cut my patches. How do you guys measure the thickness of pillow ticking? Do you just compress the fabric between the jaws of a dial caliper?

B.L.E.

Dial calipers work well. If you don't have a dial caliper or micrometer, a stack of 67 .015 patches should be one inch thick when compressed.

.02 patches should be 50 patches to an inch.

If you are in the store, fold the fabric in half 7 times and you have a stack of 64 layers of fabric to measure with a ruler.

swathdiver

Deerslayer303,

After looking at your target, you're an excellent candidate for "The System" by Dutch Schoultz. He's a regular over at the Muzzleloading forum and has a website, blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com. I guarantee it will be the best $20 you ever spend on black powder.

James

deerslayer303

Thank you swathdiver, I just may order his instructions. I need all the learning I can get. As I don't see me every putting my smoke poles away. ;)