CUSTOM RIFLE PROJECTS (with pictures)

srtrax

attachment.php

attachment.php

Old post, ran out of room, so started over. Top is a Ruger #1, will be casehardened lever and action. Octogon tapered barrel with quarter rib, iron sights and quick detatch tally scope mounts.

The 2 mauser 98 Argeintines are after the Ruger, a ways to go yet, collecting parts for these projects.(one will be a 338 Federal for sure) You have a custom, post it, got one under way do the same, I'd like to see them.

Last edited:

fisherman66

What a tease you are. No details. We still don't know what the Ruger will be chambered in. I'll guess 257 Roberts. I like the idea of 7-30 Waters.

I should knock my mauser around with a stone a little. Did you bend the bolt handles yerself (or are they cut and weld)?

srtrax

Tease, not me, the num lock is broke on the keyboard ;) see...458...oppps!
The bolt handle on these 2 were bought this way, the other 2 have straight handles. I use to forge them, then i cut and welded, but i got to were i dont care for either way. I like to cut them off and just replace with an after market handle.The next mauser project wil have the checkered panels to them.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9075&title=ENGRAVED+BOLT+KNOBS To dang $$$$ but then all ill have to do is weld it, not checker it myself! Like i said, collecting parts, will take awhile but will be worth it in the end.

fisherman66

I only know of 2 458 cartridges. That's not alot, but it's a lott (or is it a win maggie). I'm just not a fan big bores. I've never met one that didn't kick the snot out of me. I've never hunted anything that hunted back.

The 338 Federal should be perfect. That's a well balanced cartridge IMO.

fisherman66

Would that be one fisherman66 there?

I'm not quite as handsome or distinguished as the gent in the picture, but if I had that rifle next to me it wouldn't do my image any harm.

Weird, wild, wacky stuff

Bellybuttons; man can not really LIVE on bread and water alone.

srtrax

I noticed that is no maneater, imagine having to fumble around for the lever on such game, but it is a neat CUSTOM rifle, the barrel thickness suggests big bore, and the buttstock, crotch english walnut, i'm sweating all over.

Firstfreedom, i dont think personal pictures would be advisable, but as crappy as my camera is, its a thought...:D....Maybe it'll put hair on my head, and knock 20yrs. off my age! o.k. its crappy but not that bad...lol

fisherman66

The ballistic tip bullets sticking out of his pocket don't look like a big bore, but the heavy barrel would suggest otherwise. I'd guess the barrel to be near 30". No exactly a fast handling rifle. Note the lack of barrel band for the swivel attachment.

Very well done custom.

pinotguy

I have one in the works - it should be completed by this fall. No pics yet for a couple of reasons: 1.) Not camera savvy enough yet and 2.) Compenents are not all in one place. I plan on using a commercial Mauser action, Pac-Nor bbl., a nice piece of claro walnut, a Meopta scope, and some nice accessories. This will be chambered in 8x68S and will serve as my "final" project at the gunsmith school I attend.

Coltdriver

Here is a Ruger #1 in 243 that I had modified to 243 AI for antelope shooting. I am still saving points for the Antelope tag but next year is looking good. I took this stock from semi inletted to looking like fine furniture. It is not perfect but its close enough and it shoots pretty good.

Attachments

• First Finished.JPG
    First Finished.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 139

srtrax

FISH: Is the Ruger you posted done by John Mandole, on page 35 in Modern Custom Guns by Tom Turpin is a #1 that looks alot like it?

PINTOGUY: What school are you going to? I went to Murray State Collage for there gunsmithing program, had a blast, doing stuff you like to do :). Are you going for the custom builds, or repair, (or both). I done repairs and so on for awhile but my intrest has led me going down the custom build road, i enjoy it the most. When finished with your project, take a picture, would like to see it! Good Luck, and enjoy...

COLTDRIVER: very nice, great job on the stock. I've been trying to draw a tag here in Okla. for years now, one of these days (fingers crossed) and soon i hope! What kind of groups are you getting from the 243A.I. in your #1.

fisherman66

I don't know who the artist is. I have read the name Hughes dropped in regards to side lever #3s.

Edit: It's a 30-40 and the owner's first name is Steven. That's all my research has found on that particular rifle. I wish I could find more about the modifications needed for the side lever.

srtrax

Steven Dodd Hughes, but other than finding his books for sale, i found nothing else about him.(on the web) I'm told he has a back log of several years! I see his work in many of the custom gun books, and he is also a professional photographer, a top flight master gunmaker for sure.

srtrax

Mauser 98 22lr

I'm back for a couple of days. Here is a link to a rifle that is a little overkill in the extra pretty department, but talk about the amount of work for the metalsmith to pull this one off! Check out the story were it says for more info, click here.http://www.acgg.org/project19.html

fisherman66

I think it's too ornate. It's funny the knife is next to it. The gun engraving has a damascus quality. Well executed, but not for my taste. Did you see the Red Label double rifle in the smith forum?