Current state of (your) thinking on .40 in BHP

mbott

At one time I owned three HPs: two in 9mm and one if .40S&W. Sold the two 9mm guns off within the last year and kept the .40S&W. This is more a caliber preference than anything else, but the .40 HP retains all of why I like the HP in the first place.

Great pistol.

--
Mike

briandg

I own a hi power in 9. I've owned and shot it for decades. I realize that it has been a strong and popular military/police pistol for going onto a century now, and if it wasn't durable and strong, that wouldn't be true.

I love the idea of a .40 in that model, and would love to have one along with my 9.

I do have doubts, based on what I can observe of the 9 mm that the hi power is engineered to handle the .40 for 100,000 rounds or so, as so many people demand. I have full confidence that the average shooter of 500-600 or so a year could do fine.

Maybe I'm underestimating it. I think the hi power is a wonderful piece, with a simple and elegant design, and I find mine to have been a nearly flawless piece functionally. Even my sloppiest reloads feed and fire with monotonous precision.

threegun

My HP 9mm is as you said above simple, elegant, and flawless. I might add hyper accurate.

In my brief shooting of the HP in 40 S&W I found it harsh and almost instantly removed it from any consideration for my stable.

Now it functioned fine was very accurate and beautiful. It just didn't enjoy shooting it because of the fast recoil and intense vibration compared to the 9mm.

As a side note......the 40S&W was my least favorite feeling Glock (during firing). Heck I dislike every gun I can think of in this caliber over the 9mm.

I find it similar to shooting the Kel-tec pf-9. A 9mm in a small lightweight gun.

ranburr

They shoot fine, very little felt recoil. But, the balance is way off. It feels nothing like the 9mm Hi Power. If you think it is going to handle and carry like a traditional 9mm, you will be sore disapointed. I say pass.

N.H. Yankee

The BHP and the 40 to me are a match made in John Browning heaven. I have owned numerous BHP's in 9mm and 40, and the 40 cal recoil was no where what it is in the BHP as many polymer frame guns.

Chesster

When I found a NIB FN for $400, I finally said "I'll take it". It is a good shooter. I found my Glocks and Beretta in .40 better shooters. It would never replace my 9mm BHPs. Extra mags are at times a pain to locate and expensive relative to Glock and Beretta. You also loose several rounds in capacity over the Glock. I would not feel underarmed should I choose to carry one, but, I think there are better options if you prefer a .40, and If I want to carry a BHP, the baby below in 9mm will be the one.

cz82007-1.jpg

celtgun

All HPs good stuff

I have owned several HPs in the last 30 years, everyone of them were great, 100% reliable. This is one of the most highly regarded handguns in the world. When Isreali special operations goes on a mission, the first man in the door has one in each hand. A man carrying a Browning GP-35 does not have to apoligize to anybody. He is well armed.
I have owned my first in 40 for just a few months, if I can find some extended magazines (15 rounds or so) I will be happy with it.
I am old school, BHP, 1911, Smith or Colt 357. I am squared up on the pistols I carry, Practice is my mantra. God and John Browning, all you need on your side.

"The love of violence is inherent in the human (male) spirit. The attempt to train it out of boys is both futile and immoral." Chairman Jeff Cooper

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

Cheapshooter

I like the 40 S&W, and I love the looks of a Browning HP. I just would prefer something with the classic beauty of the HP to be chambered in a classic caliber like 9mm Luger. Just my opinion.