Curious. Anyone know what this is?

Skans

So, I believe, as I said, that he built this thing out of pride, because the effort made to build it would have been enormous.

In the late '50s when I was an apprentice, in Hungary,we had lots of precision german machines.We made some real jewels just for fun,in our lunch/spare time....

So, here's my question: If a very skilled individual spent a lot of time and effort making this pistol, wouldn't he put his name, initials, crest or some other identifying mark somewhere on the pistol, other than "1944"? Even if I were the humble type, I would stamp or engrave my name or at least initials on the inside of the grip.

Metalboy

I can answer your question about Hungary at the time.
That would be an absolute NO-NO.
One would risk his/her own life for having/making a firearm.The time was behind the iron curtain.Only factories could do that strictly officially such as FEG,for the government.

So, here's my question: If a very skilled individual spent a lot of time and effort making this pistol, wouldn't he put his name, initials, crest or some other identifying mark somewhere on the pistol, other than "1944"? Even if I were the humble type, I would stamp or engrave my name or at least initials on the inside of the grip.
In WW2 the Russian army executed lots of people,for being knowledgeable about something. (Katyn masscre.)

briandg

But when logic and emotions come into opposition with each other, the human being will usually take the emotional side. Real education is the key. When someone has education based in TRUTH their emotions are guided by those truths.

Yep, so did the nazis. If an asset is about to turn to the other side, destroy it.

Someone said that it was too well finished for a prototype for presentation.

If I had invented the contender, and I needed backing, that thing would have had deep royal blue and even a little engraving. Send the best you can do to the men with the money, get the money based on your design and your skill at creating the thing.

There's plenty of time to sell ugly production units when the brand is established.

Metalboy

Yep, so did the nazis. If an asset is about to turn to the other side, destroy it.

Someone said that it was too well finished for a prototype for presentation.

If I had invented the contender, and I needed backing, that thing would have had deep royal blue and even a little engraving. Send the best you can do to the men with the money, get the money based on your design and your skill at creating the thing.

There's plenty of time to sell ugly production units when the brand is established.
Walther PPKs were very nicely finished a hundred years ago,in large #s.

Bill DeShivs

A reason there are no markings other than the number could very well be that:
Most people don't know gun laws. They may actually think there is something illegal about making a pistol. Everyone thinks serial numbers are on guns. So- You have a gun with a serial number. Those same people would not want to be associated legally with that gun.

Henneman

I did not state that the finish was too fine for prototype, but that the whole product appeared too elaborate for a design that was destined for production. My meaning was that,for a single shot 22 it would take scores of hours to produce this. Examine the radiused multi stepped barrel and receiver. The metal joints too. This is the type of workmanship found on finely produced double guns. Was there ever a mass market for this type of gun?

My central point was that I am doubtful that the mystery will be solved as whomever made it did not do so for a primarily economic purpose. It was probably done to display their proficiency,or in the pursuit of a hobby.

In summary, if it works, I would pay $500 and then do a camo coating.