Curious. Anyone know what this is?

datasmith

I came across this pistol and thought it was quite interesting.
It's in really good condition... a single-shot rimfire.
But, there is not one marking on it except for "1944" on the grip butt.
I want to make an offer on it, but haven't a clue to its value.
Does anyone know what it is?

odd-gun-1.jpg

odd-gun-2.jpg

odd-gun-3.jpg

Doyle

Does it have any German proof marks? The reason I ask is that a member of my hunt club was describing a pistol he has in his safe that is a Nazi single-shot training pistol. I'm wondering if you have the same thing seeing that it is dated 1944.

Bill DeShivs

It's a home made gun. Not old. The grips are made of Micarta-a phenolic resin. The gun is hot blued and assembled with hex screws. If it were old it would be rust blued and use conventional screws.

dahermit

It's a home made gun. Not old. The grips are made of Micarta-a phenolic resin. The gun is hot blued and assembled with hex screws. If it were old it would be rust blued and use conventional screws.
But, then again there is that "1944" on the bottom of the grip.

gwpercle

What does the rear sight look like ?

I've seen a lot of handguns in the past 50 years but never one exactly like this.
Any Proof Marks ?

Bill DeShivs

The "1944" really means nothing. Perhaps it's a S/N. Perhaps it was put there to make people THINK it was made in 1944.
In 1944, few people were making hobby guns. There was a war going on.

JohnKSa

Administrator
My initial gut feel is that it is a one-off made by a skilled person or persons (probably not a gun company) and within the past couple of decades.

The pivoting latch is pretty unique and I agree that hex screws in a gun from the first half of the last century seem improbable.

The complete lack of markings other than the number is pretty unusual as well. Guns made in Europe typically get all kinds of proof marks on them and even in the U.S. companies put brands and other markings on their firearms.

Add to that the improbability of a gun company making high quality single-shot rimfire target guns in the middle of a world war.

So it almost certainly wasn't made in 1944 or near that timeframe. It almost certainly wasn't made by a gun company.

gwpercle said:
What does the rear sight look like ?
In the last photo, the one with the barrel tipped open and the upper "thingie" rotated out of axis, in the middle of the rotating "thingie" there's a semicircular "whatchamacallit" that doesn't rotate. I think that's the rear sight.

Doyle

In the last photo, the one with the barrel tipped open and the upper "thingie" rotated out of axis, in the middle of the rotating "thingie" there's a semicircular "whatchamacallit" that doesn't rotate. I think that's the rear sight.

Best technical explanation I've seen in a long time.

kenny53

I am going with a custom made target pistol. I also want it. It is a great looking gun and I like the way it breaks open. If you do pick it up please post the range report.