CSI Miami and the 975 yard Urban Sniper with saboted ammo!

2speed

They gotta inform the sheeple about how evil, wicked, mean and nasty those "scoped "Sniper" rifles" are so they can start "regulating", (read "banning") them like they're trying to do with handguns. :eek:

After the DC sniper and this show, more of the masses are aware of how these guns need to be regulated .......... for the children of course! :barf:

TexasVet

I always like the "Im not a police officer, Im with the Crime Lab" line. Then who authorizes you to wear a badge and gun?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the differences in CSI Prime and CSI Miami is that the Vegas guys are scientists (first) with badges and the Miami guys are Cops (first) with educations. Makes for interesting variations on how they handle cases.
Bob the Nailer couldn't have made those shots with saboted ammo, though. Paper patched, maybe.

Mal H

Staff
One more CSI goof-up for you. Anybody else catch the bullet going through a body in one of their relatively cool video sequences that opens up like a flower and is spinning like an airplane propeller? The bullet makes several hundred revolutions while traversing the width of of a mans chest. In reality, it will only spin 1 or 1 1/2 revolutions at most in that distance. It should have look like it wasn't spinning at all during the slow motion sequence, but that would have been too realistic instead of Hollywoodistic.

El Rojo

The thing I was thinking about today with the saboted rounds not being traced is that it would actually be a good way to trace you to the crime. Hmmm, we have had a string of shootings and all of the bullets have no rifling marks on them. I wonder if there is a connection there? I would think the absence of marks would link all the shootings anyway. Unless you got creative and used 6.5 sabots, .243, .223, .17 and so on and so forth. That would keep them guessing!!! :barf:

I liked the A-Team because the point was that no one should ever get hurt. It was a comedy as much as it was an action show. The CSIs are supposed to deal in reality, as we saw last night, not necessarily.

I too remembered the scope magnification today. Mighty nice scope.

I too thought it was awefully stupid for the crime people to come into the kid and father's house and then just start spraying his jacket for GSR (that is gun shot residue for us laymen). I would think a good lawyer would easily be able to throw that evidence out. Sure they gave permission to enter, but that was it.

One last point, why was the head guy standing out in the open as they were going to close in on the sniper? Did anyone else really want the sniper to take a quick shot anyway just to rid the gene pool of Cauruso's character? I mean if you know there is a sniper there, why stand in the open? That just seems awefully stupid to me. I could stand around and watch the top of the building just as easy by peaking my head around a corner or through some bushes.

alan

para.2:

You wrote: Something else...
That was probably just supposed to slip "under the radar" in that episode:
In one scene with a series of "news" broadcasts in the background, you could hear, very distinctly a sabot described as "Designed to avoid identification".
WHAT?!?! You mean "ballistic fingerprinting/DNA" isn't foolproof?!

Not only isn't bullistic fingerprinting "foolproof", it isn't proof against fools either.

alan

Re Yokus being armed while "off duty", if memory serves re back when I lived in NYC, quite a while ago, police officers were "on duty" all the time, which is why they were supposed to be armed, all the time.

alan

In general, regarding any "technical" glitches in the episode, typical of movies and TV, where they never, never let FACTS get in the way of the story.

qkrthnu

One last point, why was the head guy standing out in the open as they were going to close in on the sniper? Did anyone else really want the sniper to take a quick shot anyway just to rid the gene pool of Cauruso's character? I mean if you know there is a sniper there, why stand in the open? That just seems awefully stupid to me.
Remember they had the helicopter close above. So the shooter couldn't guage an acurate windage setting. Not that windage would improve the 900+ yard lottery shot much anyway.

ojibweindian

Why a ghille suit on the top of a sky scraper? Actually, who would pick out a scraper as a good spot for a shoot? Limited means of egress and one of the first places people would look.

My wife called me from my pc to watch this. Fortunately, the show was almost over and I was only exposed to the last 15 minutes of it.

Double Maduro

Several things bothered me.

One was this round that delivered lethal force at 900 plus yards only penetrated the balistic geletin a few inches at point blank range.

another was the 17 grain bullet staying on target at that distance in any kind of wind. There is a reason they don't have 1000 yard matches with .22s.

Then there is the fact that the guy practiced in a quarry in the dessert, on the level and was making these shots at quite a downhill angle. Quite a differant point of aim.

Shooting from a skyscraper at that distance with a suppressor would not cause anyone to notice you and would give you a good chance for escape.

But that makes you wonder how they knew where and in what attitude to pose the manikins for the lazers to pinpoint the nest. One moa at 900 yards is 9 inches one degree and they would have been looking at a different building.

I think the original CSI is more accurate, do they have different writers?

Yes, I know it is only television.

moa

Well, from the comments made on this thread, I am sorry I missed the program.

Sounds like it was Saturday Night Live, or Monty Python, CSI.

Long Path

Nobody has yet mentioned that the sniper, prior to taking his 970 yard shot, attatched his scope to the mounts on his take-down rifle, put the action into the stock, and then assumed that it would actually still shoot to point of aim. Perhaps a take-down rifle could hit a man at the original 650 yds, but not a man's head at that distance, more less 970.

Next, there's the question of establishing distance by firing the same type bullet into blocks of geletin to establish its velocity upon impact with the target. Um-- they've established it was a sabot round. How in the world could they have any clue what the muzzle velocity was, without even knowing what case it was fired out of? .22 sabots are most common for .30 caliber, but it's not impossible that there could even be .338 sabots. But let's just stay with .30 caliber sabots. Was the sniper using .308, .30-'06, .300 Win Mag, .300 Remington Ultra Mag, .300-.375, or ? for the parent case. These could elicit velocities ranging anywhere from 3000 fps to over 4500 fps.

I, too, heard the brass hitting the ground in the revolver shot on Third Watch. I've decided to just forgive the TV shows for their NeverEnding Hi-Cap Magazines (tm). They just plain don't know any better to begin with, and then they take artistic license beyond the point that even they realize is unrealistic. (Slow Uzi: 800 rpm. 10 seconds' worth = 133 rounds. Std magazine= 32 rds) More disconcerting was 5+ officers unloading on the bank robbers on the front stoop of the bank, and only one managing to make 2 hits on one of them. I was really hoping they'd justify this by discovering that the large overcoats were Kevlar-lined. Hmph. Perhaps all the misses were pretty realistic.
:(

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Repeat after me...

"It's just television".

After all, some of the stuff was kinda cool. On the original CSI the lab boys do all the work while the cops sit around looking gruff and eating donuts. They even question the suspects. Oh and they spend a good deal of time pointing guns at bad guys. Not exactly "Quincy". On the Miami show the lab boys spend a lot of time sitting around looking stylish while the tac team goes to the rescue. And HEY if you have a helicopter, and you know where the sniper is... why not just shoot him or otherwise engage him from the chopper.. after all it IS television. Personally I would have dropped BA Barracus on him. Oh and Kim Delany is leaving the show.

On Third Watch, the "hits" that didn't go through were hitting bundles of cash, and each bank robber WAS hit after all, one fatally. My biggest beef for that episode was that the lady cop had the drop on the bad guys TWICE, once when the guy went outside to meet the truck unarmed, the other guy had his back to her with the AK covering the door, the second time was when they were counting the cash.. and stowing in their coats filled with endless pockets. They DID reload, though it was hollywood style, and picking up an unknown (loaded or not?) revolver to shoot the bad guy seemed pretty dodgy. Did like the plot twist where the teller turns out to be in on it. Liked the clandestine cell phone use too.

Similar complaints about a "Profiler" episode I saw (by accident) this week. profiler and boss are in a jewelry store when a robbery goes down. Noone even THINKS of engaging the bad guys. A sniper takes out the lead bad guy as he's giving up to the profiler in the car. The tac team has no idea what's happening in the car they just see the gun come up into view. You never heard the shot, just the guy spasms and the windshield spiderwebs. that was the only good part of the show.

TV is meant to be entertaining. I watch NYPD Blue a lot, and the show is full of unrealistic stuff, from gunplay to inter-office romance that's off the rails. Still, I find the show entertaining.

alan

Longpath:

In part, you wrote ther following, which caught my eye, and prodded memories of things long past.

Nobody has yet mentioned that the sniper, prior to taking his 970 yard shot, attatched his scope to the mounts on his take-down rifle, put the action into the stock, and then assumed that it would actually still shoot to point of aim. Perhaps a take-down rifle could hit a man at the original 650 yds, but not a man's head at that distance, more less 970.

Back when I used to shoot National Match Course at Quantico, one day the bolt stop on my Model 70 Winchester collapsed during the 300 yard rapid fire stage. I suppose that you might imagine the "fun and games" getting the bolt back into the receiver, after each shot, especially after it had flipped around and hit me on the nose.

In any case, the Marine Rifle Repair guys worked their magic, fixing the rifle for me. Of course, it had been in and out of the stock by the time I got it back, just in time to fire the 600 yard slow fire stage. Anyhow, I had 2 sighteres and 20 record shots to go. To my great surprise, the first sighter went into the 10 ring, on call. The second sighter hit the 3"dia spottrer. I ended up shooting about 194 or so, out of a possible 200, with some X ring hits.

I may have simply been lucky, or else the glass bedding was perfect, I can't say, however all the fiddleing and farting around buy the nsiper, that you mentioned, does give one pause for thought. All sorts of wondorous sytrange things happen in the movies and or on television.

Baba Louie

Entertaining as all get out.

I was laughing at the concept of anyone successfully doping the wind from a skyscraper roof... purty near an impossible task. Ever seen it rain upward?

I'm surprised they didn't use a dreaded .50BMG sniper take-down type of rifle...Hmmm sabot a .223 in a .50? LOL?

Adios