CSI Miami and the 975 yard Urban Sniper with saboted ammo!

El Rojo

My wife was watching CSI Miami last night while I was cruising TFL. Well it was about this urban sniper that was using saboted ammo so his bullets couldn't be traced to his rifle. I am thinking, that if fine and dandy, just as far as I am aware, .223 ammo that is saboted into a .308 barrel, probably isn't going to be all that accurate. Well it got better. The sniper was making these shots from the top of sky scrapers from about 975 yards! One shot to the head on three targets from 975 yards with saboted .223 rounds! The even cooler thing was in the balistics lab they were testing out .223 loads and the girl was testing really light bullets, 40 grains, 30 grains, 20 grains, and 17 grain bullets! What was they velocity? It said 2800. I couldn't tell if that hopefully meant meters per second which would seem more credible than shooting a saboted .223 out of a .308 at a mere 2800 FPS.

Next, the shooter had your typical Hollywood reticle for all sniper rifles. A bunch of funky triangles with the numbers 600, 700, 800, 1000 under them. There were a few other weird lines in there that made no sense as well. Plus, as always, he had illuminated reticles.

And one last thing if I recall correctly. This kid is protecting his father on the street when the shooting occurs, sees some gang bangers, and busts some caps with is revolver at this car driving by (they are unrelated). Well he misses and center punches some 70 year old lady in the head in a bus down range. They describe the bullet as a 9mm. I guess technically .357 bullets are 9mm, but still, come on.

My conclusions, if the CSI Miami people couldn't get some simple gun facts down in their show, how much more of it is BS about non-gun related information? Even more importantly, now we are going to have a whole wealth of "gun experts" that watched CSI Miami and know all about the long range accuracy of saboted rounds now. How do I know? My wife bought most of that stuff and whne I told her it was BS, she got a little irked. She wanted to believe the show more than me. She wanted to beleive that they would do their research otherwise it wouldn't be on there. :barf: :barf: :barf: I set her straight on that one.

spacemanspiff

not about csi but...

watching 'third watch' last night, and i distinctly heard brass hitting the floor when yokis shot the bank robber with a revolver. and, what was she doing carrying her weapon in the first place if she is off duty? and you gotta love how the robbers never have to reload, even when depressing the trigger of an AK or uzi for ten seconds straight. :rolleyes:

hdm25

I saw a big part of CSI: Miami last night, too. Entertaining but inaccurate.

I did like it that they were using PSS's with Leupold Vari-X III M1 scopes, though. Like you, I didn't realize that Leupold put out that type of reticle, though. ;)

The sniper was using a Remington 700 action in one of the folding AICS stocks. Pretty neat.

Oh, well. My only real complaint about the show is that Kim Delaney isn't as cute as she was when she was younger.

Then again, neither am I.

:(

Scott Conklin

I've not messed with sabot rnds very much but what little shooting I've done with them or been around to see they have been amazingly accurate at 250 yds. Odd question though: Why is a saboted .223 fired from a .308 so damn loud? Jeez.

pre-B '75

hdm25,

Apparently you aren't the only one who thinks Ms. Delaney is getting a bit haggard. I believe I saw a bit on CNN about her getting bounced from the show.

para.2

Something else...

That was probably just supposed to slip "under the radar" in that episode:
In one scene with a series of "news" broadcasts in the background, you could hear, very distinctly a sabot described as "Designed to avoid identification".
WHAT?!?!:eek: You mean "ballistic fingerprinting/DNA" isn't foolproof?!:eek: :barf:

Keith_Yorktown

It's entertainment folks, not supposed to be accurate...

How many police departments can afford H2's for it's CSI unit...

How many police departments can get overhead satellite imagery of their city, from 72 hours before...

How many police departments could afford 3-D GIS modeling on large plasma displays...

It was still entertaining though... just remember, suspension of reality...

Doug444

My son thought I would come off the couch when they ranged the first "nest" at 650 yrds. And of course the bullet found on the sidewalk was "223" (actually, an accurate statement - one of the few on the show). I thought that the "gun girl" in the lab was checking out powder weights, not bullet weights, but even then which powder gives 2800 fps with only 14 grains?:rolleyes:

And did anyone note the level of magnification as "seen" through the scope? At 800 yrds. the shooter only saw Horatio's head. I don't think my son's 425X telescope is THAT good. And the steadyness of that sniper...

I could go on but why bother? It's only entertainment. Yeah, we know that, but do the sheeple?:rolleyes:

Doug444

hdm25

The worst thing about it is that it is such a popular show (or the other CSI is, anyway). It had good enough "facts" and videography that it WAS quite entertaining, but the sheeple will, no doubt, take it as gospel.

cslinger

let's face facts....

real life can be pretty, well boring. I thought the episode was pretty good and to be honest both CSIs do a better job then most with realism.

Can you imagine if CSI was an accurate represention of real crime scene investigation. Would be boring as hell for most and take forever.

One of the great things about CSIs popularity is that many kids are looking towards the sciences again.

What the hell, it's only a TV show. I mean how many of us like the A-Team now or when we were kids. I see you sneaking out the back, you know you watched it and probably still do. Why because it is fun. Realistic, not even to people who don't know any better but still fun.

CSI manages to blend a dose of realism with entertainment and I think does a pretty good job of balancing the two. My only complaint about last nights episode is that it may have been a little too soon to run it. I didn't really bother me, but I could see how some people could have been bothered.

Chris

jmlv

was I the only one to notice that

the so called sniper was a "40ish, disgruntled, white, ex military, gun nut"(he had almost as many guns as I want). Gee was'nt that the so-called profile of the DC sniper?
Hey at least he was'nt a NRA member right?

Watch-Six

I saw the show and thought that they did a better job with the facts than is usually done on TV or in Hollywood. The light weight bullet from a sabot round crap was a poor choice for extreme ranges. The idea of "hiding" on a roof in a ghillie suit is pretty funny. "Hey! Isn't that a bush on that roof!" Maybe we should consider making up ghillie suits out of black shingles to hide on roofs. Ban sabots. They invalidate ballistic fingerprinting. Like the idea of ballistic fingerprinting has any merit anyway. :rolleyes: Watch-Six

moa

Not all that familiar with sabot rounds. If one is fired, does not the sabot material exit the barrel and drop to the ground right away while the projectile continues on its flight?

Steve in PA

Originally posted by spcemanspiff:

"and, what was she doing carrying her weapon in the first place if she is off duty? "

Huh?????????? I carry mine 99% of the time when I'm off-duty. And if I lived in NY.....I'd be carrying 110% of the time.

spacemanspiff

oops, i didnt explain that part.

over the years while watching 'third watch', every officer in the show would store their weapon in their locker, which would indicate to me that none of them had a ccw for when they are off-duty. so are we to assume that yokis has a ccw now? or did i miss something and now she is a plainclothes cop?

i would of course expect any cop (and any sane, responsible person) to carry when off duty, since they technically are never truly 'off-duty'.
maybe that would have been answered if i had watched the episode from the beginning instead of half way through it. :D

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
moa,

They seem to seperate rather quickly - ones I've loaded anyway.

Wreck all manner of hell on a chronograph's screens only 15' away. :(

Caught about 10 minutes of the show (never seen it before) & chucled at the "Let's see that rotated 180 degrees." 3D imagry rotates perhaps 90 .... :rolleyes:

I wanna see stupid, I watch CNN. "Real" is funnier than made up.

tgace

I always like the "Im not a police officer, Im with the Crime Lab" line. Then who authorizes you to wear a badge and gun? Why are you always making building entries (usually ahead of uniformed Cops)? Why are you involved in interviewing suspects? Are you Fed, State, County, Metro??? I know its only entertainment and the "Im with the crime lab" line allows for involvement in crimes that would typically be out of regular jurisdictions, but still....

ENC

I agree with Cslinger's comments

I would like to see a few episodes like Crack dealer X shot Crack dealer Y in a dispute over money.

And I guarantee it is getting more people interested in the field. i am a forensics student and the faculty had to put a cap on the enrollment last year. Unfortunatly I see alot of people that i don't think seem to understand what the job is going to really be like. They seem to always talk about Patricia Cornwell Novels and the latest CSI.

DMK

Wadda ya expect? These are the same folks that brought you the infamous "meat bullet" last year. :rolleyes: