Crossing America in the 1600's

Mannlicher

I don't see any need for a handgun, but just for the heck of it, I would take a Model 63, S&W .22 lr. It would be good for bagging camp meat.
For the rifle, a Marlin 30-30, with a Weaver 2.5X scope. My standard handload using a Speer 170 grain FP over IMR 4320 powder.
I like Wetterling axes, and I would take several good knives. A few by Randall would do.
I would utilize mules, not horses, and have one for riding, and several to pull a small wagon. I think carrying a canoe would be important.
Camping gear, just whatever worked back then.

tyrajam

Boy Jim, you're taking all of the fun out of this!:p
And sorry ARmaster, vests stop handgun bullets but not arrows or knives:eek:
I thought about taking a dog, but they eat more than I do. Maybe a little mountain cur to warn of danger and tree game. I'd really want to bring a few goats. They browse off brush and don't require grain or grass, and while I don't like goat milk its better than starvation!

homefires

I travel forward first and obtain a Hand Held Solar Powered Plasma Cannon, Gilly suit like used on the movie Predator. and don't forget the impregnable force field good for 100 yard. Then I would walk!

HorseSoldier

1 Long gun w/500 rounds of ammo
1 Handgun Revolver or Auto w/200 rounds of ammo

Depends on whether or not the time travel is a one shot deal.

If it is, and no spare parts coming back, I think I'd look at a Glock 20 sprung to shoot the hottest loads 10mm Auto loads out there. 200 rounds of hard cast lead ammo.

For a long gun a bolt gun is probably better than any semi-auto for sheer durability. Some might want something heavier, but I think I'd probably go with my m/96 Swede in 6.5x55. Sure it won't stop a Grizzly dead in his tracks, but not much will (reliably), so I'd probably bank more on deterrence and being faster than at least one of my mules if it all goes south in a big way.

And a complete set of spare parts for each weapon, enough to replace everything in the Glock except the slide and frame (including barrel) and everything up to and including the bolt and barrel bands on the Mauser.

And a bayonet for the Mauser. A tomahawk or two would probably be better for 1650s American hand to hand, but I've had some limited training on using a bayonet. I'm pretty sure most any combat minded Indian circa 1650 could out-do me with a tomahawk and with 1650s medicine to rely on, that learning curve is pretty steep.

EIGHTYDUECE

I would take my SAR-1 w/900 rnds and no pistol.

Knives would be my trusty Buck 119 and my trusty Victorinox Swiss army Huntsman.

My Gerber mini Axe

MacGille

A Pennsylvania long rifle, bedford county style in .54 cal. Two caplock pistols in .54, adequate powder and shot. 2 tomahawks in carbon steel and hickory. 2 bowies in 565 steel about 12". A double bitted axe, a broadaxe, an adz, a hammer, a supply of steel arrowheads, a small plowshare. Two horses, two mules. One pair of good binoculars, an extra pair of boots (winter) some traps, some nylon parachute cord. A hudson bay blanket coat and some beads and sparklies for tradin' stock. A good stetson hat and 2 balaclavas. 2 heavy wool blankets and extra underwear. good wool socks too. And a lensatic compass.

Modern weapons and gear cannot be supported with old technology. A broken firing pin and you are dead. A broken riflescope and you have a mediocre club.

The best thing to take is knowledge and skill. Take the time to develope both and you won't need all of the fancy gear.

Old Time Hunter

.44-40 Levergun and revolver, 200 gr mould, Lee hand press with dies,eight two pound sacks of ffg (stored in sealed coffee containers) spread out on the two donkeys, one long knife, one hatchet, a pop up two man mountain tent, phospherous matches (lights no matter what the weather), a sleeping bag, aspirin, penicilin (amoxicilin), fifty pounds of jerky, a years supply of vitamins. Two extra pairs of boots, three different sets of clothes for the diffferent seasons, and two heavy wool blankets. Almost forgot, a mess kit!

T-Mac

Solo.
Going from east to west.

Long gun: Savage model 24F : .30-30 over 12 guage
ammo: 200 rds 12 ga.shotgun, & 300 rds .30-30
Long shots not necessary in the 1600s...there was plenty of dumb "food" .:D

Hand gun: S&W 325P (.45acp)

2 mules

Hatchet

2 Knives:
a) A good fixed blade drop point with a 5" (+/-) blade
b) 7" fillet knife

Misc: good sets of panniers on the mules for ammo, freeze dried food, ropes, extra hiking boots, and foul weather clothing, gun cleaning kit, maps, sextant, some wire, 2 Pack rods w/ reels, a hundred 1/8 oz.jigs, extra mono line, 300 grub tails, 1 Multi-tool, Sharpening stone, Salt and pepper, lots of stick matches and a waterproof bag for them.

Expedition size backpack w/ 2 man tent, pad, bag, water purifier, fire start kit, 3 water bottles, clothing, 1 saucepan w/ lid, 1 skillet, couple of spoons and forks.

....and a genie w/ 3 wishes to grant me.

Dirty_Harry

1 Long gun w/500 rounds of ammo
1 Handgun Revolver or Auto w/200 rounds of ammo
2 horses/mules
Hatchet/Machete
2 knives
Necessary camping/bedding equipment.

Rifle-Springfield M1A
Pistol-S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum
1 horse and 1 mule
Definatly a good hatchet
1 long fixed blade, 1 dressing
Canteen, 2 bottles of Canadian Club the Reserve(can't go without!), fork, plate, pot, good sleeping bag, a fur to put on the ground to sleep on, a good brimmed hat, fishing line and a small pole with tackle.

BRING ON THE 1600's!