Creative Answers to "May I search your ..."

Jeff Thomas

OK ... noted the nearby thread re: PC and assault weapon registration in CA. Let's forget that specific subject for the moment, but ... I'd love to hear your creative responses to an LEO who wishes to search your home, car, person, etc.

"Sir / Ma'am, may I have your permission to search your ????"

So, what do you say?

And, when he / she applies pressure (you'll have to wait for a supervisor, do you have something to hide, etc.), then what do you say?

A corollary question would be "Sir / Ma'am, do you have a firearm in your vehicle?"

Regards from AZ

Justin Moore

Answer to "May I Search" : NO
Answer to "Do you have something to hide": Officer,
what's the deal, am I guility until proven INNOCENT?

Those are my answers.

Answer to 'do I have a firearm': Am I being charged with a crime?

David Scott

Cop: May I search your car, Mister Scott?

Me: Am I under arrest?

Cop: No.

Me: I'll have to consult my lawyer. (Pulls lawyer's card from pocket, dials cell phone.) Hello, Mr. Lawyer? It's Dave Scott. Hey, I got pulled over for a minor traffic infraction and now the officer wants to search my car. No, he said nothing about a warrant or probable cause. What? No, I asked him, he says I'm not under arrest.... OK, thanks. (Hangs up cell phone.) Officer, on the advice of counsel I do not give you permission to search my vehicle. May I go now?

Cop: You got something to hide?

Me: No, I just have places to be and people to see. May I go now?

Cop: Why won't you let us search the car?

Me: I think it's silly to pay a lawyer for advice and not take it. May I go now?

Cop: What's your hurry?

Me: No hurry, there's just lots of better things to do than stand at the side of the road. May I go now, or am I under arrest? If so, I'll have to call my lawyer back and tell him what the charges are, as soon as you read me my rights.

Cop: No, you're not under arrest. Get moving. (Gripes and grumbles all the way back to the car).

I have read articles on this question in several magazines. The RV clubs are really concerned about it because northbound routes from Florida and Texas see a lot of requests to search RVs. The key phrases to remember and repeat often are:

"Am I under arrest? On what charge?"

"I'll have to ask my lawyer."

"May I go now?"

Mr. James

"Would that be before or after I disarm the anti-personnel device?"

"I have some radioactive materials in there...you might want to don a lead apron first."

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

Seriously, folks, "No, thank you, you may not." Now, repeat after me...

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
The main point to get across to the officer is that you will not submit to a search. Of course, this should be done in a polite manner. The times that I have been pulled over, the officer has always addressed me as "Sir" and I have always addressed the officer as "Officer" or "Sir/Ma'am" right back.

FWIW, I have never been asked for permission to search my vehicle.

If I were asked more prying questions, or if I felt the officer was "fishing" I believe my response would be, "Am I under arrest, sir?" There's no reason to give any information other than your name, address, driver's license and in some states/countries, proof of insurance.

You asked for "creative" responses, right?
- - - - - -
Do you have any firearms or other weapons in your vehicle?

Sure! What do you need? :D

Kharn

"Admit it, you love my M16 more than your MP5."

"I'll let you see my other guns if you can get my Chauchat to fire three magazines without jamming."

Kharn

J

Jeff, CA

"If you have nothing to hide, then you won't mind me searching your car."

Okay, then you won't mind taking me over to your house and letting me look around. After all, if you have nothing to hide....

DCR

In Idaho, this is how the conversation goes; YMMV in your state, so talk to an attorney there.

After the request for permission to search:

"am I under arrest?" - forces the LEO to clarify whether you are "in custody." Forces the LEO to assess whether he has probable cause to place you under arrest at that time. Many things come into play here - such as Miranda, etc. Too long to go into here.

You will inevitably get a "no" or some other waffling answer - like "not yet," or "should you be?" or something evasive so the officer does not have to analyze whether he truly has PC; remember, they don't have to Mirandize you if you're not in custody.

Your next question:

"am I free to go?" truly forces the officer to commit to whether you are "in custody" or not; if a person does not reasonably believe he is free to go, he is "in custody."

If he says you are, say good bye and go. Unless the LEO says you are free to go, you are "in custody."

If you get anything other than a "yes, you are free to go," your next response is:

"I have nothing further to say without the presence of an attorney." By "lawyering up," you have indicated you are refusing to answer any more questions, and they have to stop asking.

I actually WAS once asked "Do you have any guns in the car" by a police officer...

But it wasn't what you think...

I was a reporter, and knew the police pretty well in the area where I was working.

I was in the parking lot at a local restaurant when one of the cops whom I was really friendly with pulled up behind me.

Cop - "Hey Mike, you got any guns in the car?"

Me - "No. Why?"

Cop - "Go get some and meet me up at the Sportsmen's Club. I'm off in about 20 minutes and I don't feel like shooting alone!"

Me - "Give me half an hour and I'll meet you."

Bogie

A few weeks back, the critter truck broke down on the way to a match.

I'm at the side of the road, and a local boy pulls up. I show him my cell, tell him I've already called someone to drag it BACK to the dealership that'd just fixed it, and he leaves his flashers going and we sit there and chat for a couple of minutes. He asks where I'm going, etc., and I tell him I'm on my way out to the benchrest club for a match... We talk some more, he admires my bumper sticker collection, talk some guns, admire the bumper sticker collection some more, etc., and he tells me "Hey, I don't wanna know about anything you've got in that truck." So I end up informing him that "Hey, there's nothing in that vehicle that's either illegal or being transported illegally, but I could sure use some help in cleaning the bed out and reorganizing the stuff!"

Good laugh.

MrMisanthrope

Crossing an international border once (I won't mention where) I was asked by the "border guard" whether or not I had any weapons in my car. I answered immediately and truthfully and produced documentation for the one I was being truthful about....(she didn't ask how MANY or what TYPE I had with me...)

IMEX if you don't act suspicious, they don't get suspicious.

David Scott

OK, now some flip responses to "May I search your car?"

No need to search, Officer, the donuts are on the back seat.

They must not pay you very well if you have to look for loose change like that.

I'll make you a deal -- you can have anything you find in my car if I can have anything I find in the patrol unit.

Didn't you read my bumper sticker? -- DRIVER CARRIES LESS THAN $20 WORTH OF CONTRABAND

You better call Animal Control first, for the last few weeks something has been growing under the layers of Burger King leftovers. You can hear it breathing when the motor's off.

Sure, but don't let the photo album mislead you. Nothing happened, she just wanted to try lingerie modeling. Besides, I think your daughter has real potential!

We could search the back seat together, big boy. Ooooh, I just love a man in uniform!

Jeff White

Has Anyone Ever had an LEO Attempt to Talk Them into Consenting to Search?

Many of these replies are witty and amusing. :) But in almost 16 years as a part time LEO, I have never seen an officer attempt to coerce someone into giving consent to search. I have never heard "Are you hiding anything?" or "If there's nothing there, why won't you let me look?"

The rules are: Make a legitimate stop for a legitimate violation of the IVC (Illinois Vehicle Code), conduct your enforcement action (citation, written warning, etc.), make the driver aware that the stop has ended ("Sir, here is your written warning for driving with one headlight, you are free to go, drive carefully.). Then ask for consent to search; "By the way, we've had a lot of problems around here with people carrying illegal drugs, you don't have anything you aren't supposed to have, marijuana, cocaine, Mac-10s, small nuclear devices on you, do you?" To which they will usually reply; "No!" "Would you mind if I looked just to make sure?" If the answer is yes they would mind, you then have two choices, thank the subject and leave, or if you do have strong suspicions and no probable cause, you can detain the subject for a few minutes while a K9 is brought in to walk around the vehicle. If the K9 "hits" you have probable cause to search and you may continue with the enforcement action. If not you must let the subject go. You can't detain them very long while waiting for the K9 either.

These are the rules in Illinois. I can't speak for other jurisdictions. Here any attempt to coerce consent to search could make the entire action illegal. Policy here is that the subject must have been made aware that the traffic enforcement action is over and he/she is free to go BEFORE asking for consent to search.

Criminal patrol techniques like this keep us all safe and solve a lot of crimes. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. Some officers and even some entire departments have abused this as part of fighting the "war on drugs". Let's make them adopt fair, consistant policies. No officer I know, asks for consent to search on every stop he/she makes.

Policing a free society is a very difficult job, you always walk a narrow line between your job which requires you to keep society safe and the Bill of Rights that protects everyone from unreasonable intrusions by the government. Many of you have posted that you'd never been asked for consent to search. The most likely reason is that you never set off the officer's "sixth sense" or BS meter. Basically, after some time on the job, and with some formal training in certain indicators, you just sense that something is not as it seems with the subject of your traffic stop. Well, the 4th Amendment rightfully makes no provisions for the "sixth sense" of a police officer. The courts given us guidelines like those I work under that allows society to benefit from the experience and instincts of it's police officers, but does not permit them to trample the rights of other citizens.

I know some of you will find even those rules too broad. It's not easy, it's a fine line to walk, and individual officers and even whole departments sometimes step across. Let's sanction those who can't work within the guidlines they are given, but let's not cover the whole profession with this broad brush of being gestapo and police state like.

Jeff

buzz_knox

Q: May I search your vehicle?

Potential Answers:

Why? Looking for places your wife might have left her underwear?

Sure. Don't mind the handcuffs. Your daughter didn't.