Creating a new cartridge for fans of the 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Falcon

I was thinking of creating a new cartridge for the ole 1911 by cutting down .284 Winchester brass with the neck cut down and widened to take a .475 bullet.

This is to be a moderately powerful round with a case length of .95'' which would be exactly twice the calibre in length.

Would there be any interest in such a cartridge?

What would be a good name for such a cartridge?

I was thinking of 475 Destroyer or 475 Punisher but I'm open to suggestions.

44caliberkid

What kind of bullet selection is there (unaware of .475 cartridges)?
475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger. Come into the light.

Best not to use evil/ destructive sounding names. Ammo companies and lawyers don’t like them. Maybe something more like the 475 Big Boy, or 475 Pumpkin.

Moon Falcon

475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger. Come into the light.

Best not to use evil/ destructive sounding names. Ammo companies and lawyers don’t like them. Maybe something more like the 475 Big Boy, or 475 Pumpkin.

It's such names that sells and I was hoping that Federal would manufacture the cartridge if it ever comes to that.

TunnelRat

Moon Falcon said:
I was thinking of 475 Destroyer or 475 Punisher but I'm open to suggestions.

Moon Falcon said:
It's such names that sells and I was hoping that Federal would manufacture the cartridge if it ever comes to that.

Sells to whom? Destroyer and Punisher? Are you imagining someone in a store looking at a box of cartridges they have never heard of before, but they see "Destroyer" and "Punisher" and say, "Well now I have to try them." The most popular pistol cartridge is 9mm Luger. I guess it would be the only cartridge if it had been the 9mm Punisher.

I see "Punisher" and the image of the Punisher skull flashes in my mind, and honestly that poor character has been played out as a sticker on practically eveything, imo.

Moon Falcon

Sells to whom? Destroyer and Punisher? Are you imagining someone in a store looking at a box of cartridges they have never heard of before, but they see "Destroyer" and "Punisher" and say, "Well now I have to try them." The most popular pistol cartridge is 9mm Luger. I guess it would be the only cartridge if it had been the 9mm Punisher.

I see "Punisher" and the image of the Punisher skull flashes in my mind, and honestly that poor character has been played out as a sticker on practically eveything, imo.

I know my market and a cartridge named Destroyer or Punisher would sell like hotcakes.

Previously, the .460 Rowland was rolled out. Setup for 1911 folks, you could get a simple conversion kit and be good to go. The gun kicked substantially more than the .45 acp 1911, purportedly in the range of .44 magnum. You could get a 230 gr. bullet out at 1300 fps.

This is to be a moderately powerful round with a case length of .95'' which would be exactly twice the calibre in length.

The .460 Rowland has a case length of .957"

From the looks of it, you are just making a slightly upscaled .460 Rowland

The .460 Rowland was a flop. What makes you think a .475 version would do better?

bamaranger

names

There seems to be a trend lately for what I consider peculiar names for new cartridges. Most recently on the national scale, the ".360 Buckhammer" and the ".350 Legend"....... c'mon guys.......really? I don't know who names these things for the ammo/gun companies, but I get the impression it's the same folks who name cars. To me, .360 Rem and 350 Win would have worked just fine.

The OP asked for suggestion. Don't use Punisher or Destroyer, sounds like
a video game cartridge. The .475 Auto would suffice.

Moon Falcon

Previously, the .460 Rowland was rolled out. Setup for 1911 folks, you could get a simple conversion kit and be good to go. The gun kicked substantially more than the .45 acp 1911, purportedly in the range of .44 magnum. You could get a 230 gr. bullet out at 1300 fps.

The .460 Rowland has a case length of .957"

From the looks of it, you are just making a slightly upscaled .460 Rowland

The .460 Rowland was a flop. What makes you think a .475 version would do better?

Maybe 460 Rowland flopped because the cost of the pistol was too high?

And 460 Rowland uses a .451 bullet so it was only 451 Detonics Magnum by another name.

Last edited:

stagpanther

"Instant Death From Valhalla" or "Zeus's Bambi Obliterator" are another two names I've come up with that I'd be willing to sell the rights to.

Moon Falcon

"Instant Death From Valhalla" or "Zeus's Bambi Obliterator" are another two names I've come up with that I'd be willing to sell the rights to.

And how do you fit all of that around the primer?

I swear to god that if the internet had existed in the 19th century, Samuel Colt, Horace Smith, Daniel Wesson and John Moses Browning would have destroyed their computer screens by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.