Crazy hunting kills

Backwoodsboy

The craziest kill I have had was of a six point whitetail in western NY. While hunting with my father in law we were still hunting through a swamp. About fifty yards in and I noticed movement about 40 yards in front of me. All I could see at that point was the bucks head and he was looking in my father in laws direction. Worried that he would see me with movement I took careful aim and let one fly from my 12 ga. The buck dropped in its tracks with a head shot just below its right ear. My father in law came over and we bs'ed about how the kill had taken place. I reached down and grabbed an antler and began dragging the deer. About 15 yards later that deer ripped its antler out of my hand and began struggling to get up . After one quick coup De grace it stopped and we were able to finish the drag. From that point on they all get one last shot so there are no surprises.

jimbob86

I shot a deer in a barber shop once.

I've shot a little bull in a barber shop, on occasion .....

I'd guess your barbershop deer was not a hunting thing? LE/Animal Control?

Last edited:

reynolds357

I caught a deer inside a barber shop and removed it. Wonder what it is about deer and barber shops? It jumped through the plate glass window to get in.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hadn't heard about barber-shop deer, but I've read news articles about a bedroom-buck and a living-room-deer--both involving glass doors or large picture windows.

Not perzackly "hunting", though. :)

madmo44mag

The barber shop stories reminded me of my 1st lease.
This was old school camp.
sleep in a tent or the back of your truck.
No running water or plumbing.
The latrine was located in a stand of old mesquite trees. One of the trees we had a 2x2 mirror hanging so you could shave.
We had a young buck that attacked the mirror one morning.
It was a sight to watch.
He was dead set of killing that buck that was eye balling him.
He charged the tree a few times until he knocked the mirror down then pawed it to death.
He walked away head held high and proud.
We were all laughing so hard no one took a shot at him.

Husqvarna

Me an my brother shot the same goose once, to this day I still say it was mine,

I was to get the ones coming in from the left but I must have lead the target to long because he has risen to after already downing one that came higher

both were solid hits two so not much left of the bird:(

On the same trip my bro tagged a straggler after I had already sent out the dog, and it landed on the dog that was coming back , it was still kicking to so the dog got very confused (easily done with a stupid labrador:D)

Husqvarna

a story my dad tells is from one of his first hunts

out foxhunting with two older relatives, my pops must have been around 10 years old but they did give him a shotgun, some old single barrel, and he got to shot a fox but as the day continued the old men were tired and cold but the dog was still chasing something.

they wanted to go back and lite a fire and make some coffee but my dad nagged some and sure enough they loaded him up and told him to go stand one a trail the fox wasd probably gonna take

and he takes up position just after a turn.

what they did as a joke was load him up with an already fired shell, probably because he was boasting about the one he got and the geezers had missed)
so when the fox does come around the bend it crashes into my father and the dogs catch up and latches on, my father says he had to pry open the dogs mouth with the handle of his knife and then slit the foxes throat.

so when he comes back to the fire the oldtimers were mighty suprised

Yeah, the bedroom buck was one that a guy killed with his BARE HANDS when it got in his daughter's bedroom.... Don't screw with Daddy's little girl.

jimbob86

Me an my brother shot the same goose once, to this day I still say it was mine,

My brother, my cousin and I, far back in our mis-spent youth, cornered a rooster pheasant in a tiny patch of weeds ..... we surrounded it, figuring he had to give at least two of us a shot, whichever way he went out ...... he went ....... (almost) straight up .... Bam!Bam!pop! Bam!, each load of shot knocking feathers and propelling him a little higher ...... a 16 guage, a 20, a .410 and another 20 .... Cousin Pat always was a bit trigger happy .... that poor bird had so much shot in him ...... there wasn't any arguing who's it was: we gave it to the kid brother with the .410 .....

Pat was kinda heartless, too .... he shot a buck off a doe once .... didn't even have the courtesy to let the poor guy finish his business ......

Let's get Mikey - he'll eat anything - even lead shot! :D

Pat was kinda heartless, too .... he shot a buck off a doe once .... didn't even have the courtesy to let the poor guy finish his business .

Bwwwwaahahahaha... Awww, that ain't bad - the poor guy died happy, I guarantee you!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
"...he shot a buck off a doe once."

One of our hunt lease guys did that. We told him that we were gonna file on him for disturbing the piece.

Disturbing the 'piece', heh heh. :)

Hey, this isn't a "kill" story, but it's a crazy hunting story from about 4 years ago, so thought I'd throw it in for good measure. I guess it's more of a no-kill / fail story.

I was on a popular large public land during deer gun season. I had one of those lightweight folding deer decoys (2D / flat, with two metal rods to stick in the ground). Being on public land, I didn't sit right behind it or beside it of course, but placed it about 30 yards from me in a pretty heavily wooded area with super heavy sign everywhere, but where I could still easily see the decoy, sat down and waited. Of course I'm wearing a lot of orange. I'm only 90-100 yards from the road probably, if that. The doe decoy is probably only 65-70 yards from the road but in pretty thick woods all the way to the road.

Hour or so later, two Nimrods come along in a pickup, stopping evidently *because* they saw the decoy, get out walk into the woods a few yards and one of them takes a shot at it. Deer doesn't go down, so they walk closer to it, then take another shot at it. Still standing there, so they walk all the way up to it and stand around looking at it for a minute or two, then realizing what it was, walked back and drove off. Not overly interesting so far, but the parts of the story that make me shake my head are (1) they never looked around and saw me, despite wearing orange and being 30 yards away in November (not many leaves) - just seemed generally clueless (not a big deal; I wasn't angry with them at all; honest mistake I guess, but the lack of general awareness seemed astounding to me - I sat there ready to give them my "no problemo" wave and smile but they never looked my way), and (2) best of all, guess how many holes were in the decoy? Wait for it....

ZERO! :)

Last edited:

Doyle

"...he shot a buck off a doe once."

I just got through reading a similar thread on another forum where a guy did just the opposite. It was a doe-only hunt (either due to season or area) and a horny buck kept busting his hunt. He got mad at the buck and waited for it to mount a doe - then he shot the doe out from under the buck.

buck460XVR

Twenty years ago or so, I was bow hunting the rut in early November. There was a foot of snow on the ground and temps were around 15 degrees. I generally hunt all day at those times of the year as my biggest bucks have always been shot between 11 and 2 during that part of the bow season over the years. Back then, in order to stay warm I used a camo sleeping bag in my climbing tree stand. It had two zippers so, I would crawl into the bag with my feet stickin' out the bottom and pull the bag up around me. When I saw or heard something I would lower the bag to my waist and then pick up my bow and prepare for the shot. On this day I had been there since daylight and just couldn't take anymore so I crawled down, went back to the truck and warmed up. When I came back a hour later, there were fresh deer tracks in the snow twenty yards from my tree. I kicked myself for leaving and figured I'd blown it for the day. Even so, I crawled back up into the tree stand, hung my bow and pulled the sleeping bag up over my shoulders and prepared for the cold 5 hour wait til dark. I hadn't hardly pulled the bag up when along comes a nice basket eight with his nose to the ground following the fresh track. Before I could get the bag down and get my bow he was on top of me and caught my movement. Even so, he put his nose back down and continued his stiff legged gait after the obvious "hot" doe. By the time I got my bow up he was 50 yards away and headin' the other way. Grunting would stop him, but wouldn't bring him back......the scent was just too strong. Now I'm really kickin' myself for he was a pretty good buck for public land and was at one time 15 yard away and stupid. Now I really figured the hunt was over, but hoped that maybe he might push the doe and himself back to me. He hadn't hardly gotten outta sight and I was still cryin' over spilt milk when movement caught my eye and an even larger 10 pointer was comin' down the same trail....nose down. This time, I was ready and when he got behind a tree twenty yards away I drew. As he stepped out at 15 yards, he looked straight at me with love drunk eyes and stopped. I don't like to shoot at deer lookin' at me, so I waited for him to turn his head. As he stood there I realized he was starting to realize what might be goin' on. Having the pin on his chest I let the arrow fly, even tho he was still looking at me. Don't know if he was gonna jump anyway, or if the movement of my fingers on the release made him jump or what, but jump he did straight forward. Between that and the slower speed of a very cold bow, I saw immediately it was gonna be a clean miss. How amazed I was when I heard a loud "crack" and the deer went down like he had been hit in the head with an ax. He immediately tried to get back up but had no use of his back legs. As he tried to pull himself away I quickly knocked another arrow and put one into his boiler room. By the time I got unwrapped from the sleeping bag, lowered my bow and climbed down he was dead. When I got to im I realized that when he jumped he must have had both legs directly behind him and the arrow had gone thru both leg bone above the knees and had broken them both cleanly off. Only thing that kept the lower legs attached was some hide. It was exactly 1:15 in the afternoon, on public land, and I had two shooter bucks go by me in less than 5 minutes. By the grace of the good Lord, he had given me one of them. As I dressed him out, the "hot" doe with the smaller 8 still chasing her, ran by me @ less than 40 yards.

Somedays, you just roll in it..........:D

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
This story gets graphic. If you're squeamish or have Anti-hunting tendencies, don't read any further.

About 10 years ago, we rented a basement apartment in a town that was positively infested with deer.

I called the owner and asked him if I could hunt behind the house. Sure, no problem, he said, just don't let my daughter see you (she's two house up) because she's seriously anti.

No problem.

After trying a few other places, I find this perfect (location) tree, which just happens to be maybe 200 yards behind her house. It's like 15 yards from a heavily traveled trail, with a thick branch hiding me from approaching deer.

The only trouble was that it had a wide trunk that split about 4 feet up, so I had to put my climber way up high and climb into it before I could get going up. Not that big of a deal for a perfect spot.

First day, I get myself up in the tree and wait... not 15 minutes later, this HUUUGE doe comes down a trail that tees on my trail. Sure enough, she picks my trail. Walks slowly toward me. She goes behind some brush, I draw my bow, she steps out, looks the other way and stops.

How perfect is this? It's like what dreams are made of, or would be if she was a 10-point.

Take a deep breathe, aim carefully and the release lets go. WHACK! and she... drops on the spot. Oh crap. I've been down this road before. Sure enough, within moments, she is on her front legs and trying to crawl away. Oh, she's not just crawling, she BELLOWING like a calf. Yeah, 200 yards from this anti-hunter girls house. Within seconds, the girls dog is going nuts.

I can't figure out what happened. Everything was perfect. I grab another arrow, she's still broadside, so I let it fly. It hits a tree, about half way to her and several inches high and right. I just figure I'm in a panic and screwed up. So, I grab my last arrow, tell myself to calm down, take some deep breathes, aim and fire. This arrow hits about 1/8" from the other one in the tree. Obviously, something is wrong with my bow.

The deer is still bellowing, the dog is still going nuts and now I'm really thinking I'm in trouble. I need to get down and get one of those arrows. I get myself turned around, climb down about 2 steps and the bottom of my tree stand drops out from under me, all the way to the split in the trunk. Yeah, I forgot to tether the top and bottom.:rolleyes::eek:

So, here I sit on the top section of my stand, a solid 15 feet off the ground, with no obvious way down, no phone, this deer REALLY freakin' going nuts now that she sees me and the dog going extra special berserk.

I figure the only way down is to shimmy down the other half of the tree. I lean over, just about get my arms wrapped around it and the TOP half of my stand falls, with my bow attached to it which lands on the bottom half of the stand and the top crashes down on top of the bow. Now, I'm hanging 15 feet in the air with my arms wrapped around the tree. Let me tell you, shimming down a tree while trying to loosen and retighten a safety strap is NOT going to happen. I had to loosen the strap and just slide down the tree. That does bad things to the skin on your arms.

Anyway, I get to the ground and, as you might imagine, the deer is no more pleased with the scene that she was prior. She's flopping and spinning in circles and bellowing. I swear it got louder every time.

I lift up my stand, grab my bow and try to pull one of the arrows out of the tree. That's not happening, they're buried. Fortunately, I see the first arrow has come out of the deer, I grab it, go to put it on the bow and realize that my rest was destroyed by the fall. There'll be no shooting this deer.

Well, you can imagine what needs to be done. Many of you have had to do it for one reason or another. I pull my knife, grab her by the ear and do the deed. Of course, it's disgusting, she makes horrid sounds and there's blood all down my hand and arm. I don't want to watch the rest, so I figure I'll go get the stand out of the tree and she'll be done before I am.

I get all set, pack everything up, look over and.... here she sits, like she's bedded down for the night and nothing has happened, just looking at me. Are you kidding me right now?! How the....

So, I have to stab her AGAIN. Same nastiness, but this time at least she dies.

As you can imagine, I want out of there NOW. No way am I gutting her right there. I'm tired and pretty angry (for any number of obvious reasons), still packing 50 pounds of gear and this doe is, as I said, HUUUGE. Biggest or second biggest doe I've ever shot. Certainly pushing 180+ (if not 200) dead weight. I got her out to where I could gut her without any further catastrophe though.

That one certainly qualifies as a crazy kill.